What's A Good, Budget "Non-Assault" Rifle? - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > What's A Good, Budget "Non-Assault" Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2455 Times on 1398 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

I think it depends on what you think "budget" and "non-assault" mean.

You cut out a lot of hardware if you mean nothing military whatsoever.

I have a Mosin-Nagant which I use for scouting, when I'm

tracking game and don't intend to shoot it.

Even though it's Mil-surp, it's hardly what you would consider a

state of the art "assault rifle".

Is a bolt action acceptable, for instance?

The SKS is semi-auto, and 7.62x39. Given it's age, it's hardly considered

as a state of the art "assault rifle" either.

Personally, I don't think it would matter in a court of law.

The prosecuting attorney is going to make whatever fired the shot

look hideous to a jury, meanwhile, you deny yourself a lot of options in shooting

enjoyment on a possibility which has a very low order of probability to

a careful individual.

Last edited by therewolf; 06-26-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #72

Default Budget rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
about $620 at wal-mart for a standard mini 14. still well under the average price of an AR retail, though i admit, still not really cheap by any means. the only other semi auto, non evil looking guns are the M1 carbine (1000+), M1A (1500), and garand (1000+). all of those are FINE guns but way pricey when new. i think the kel-tec is still pretty "evil" loooking myself (as well as ugly imo). but that sub 2000 is pretty appealing at $300.

for semi auto within a budget, mini is about the only decently priced rifle that won't look like an assault rifle. get a wood stock with a a 5 round mag & it just looks like a standard deer rifle to the firearm uneducated.

but i'm with you, i think the lever gun is the best option. i LOVE my marlin 336. just as fun to shoot as a semi auto imo, and way better looking & less "evil." lever guns are definately enough to protect the ol homestead.
Cabelas has SKS for 300.00 cheap plinking ammo available plus soft points that put around 30/30 power at 100 yards for up to Deer sized game.

'the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'.

famous qoute from the people of Goliad TX to the Dictator Santa Anna 'come and take it' regarding the towns cannon.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #73

Liked 2753 Times on 1614 Posts
Likes Given: 1762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondamendment View Post
Cabelas has SKS for 300.00 cheap plinking ammo available plus soft points that put around 30/30 power at 100 yards for up to Deer sized game.
a good idea for the price. of course, with an sks, you are getting what you pay for.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #74

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Behind my bedroom door is a Marlin Model 94 .44 mag, loaded with .44 sp 200 gr Gold Dots. I have similar concerns about over-zealous prosecutors demonizing military looking rifles.
And about this "assault rifle" deal. I have heard ad nauseum that "assault rifle" does not apply to a semi-auto rifle. But we are not blameless here, before the Clinton gun ban we (the shooting community) gleefully talked about assault rifles. I remember seeing "The Guns & Ammo Book of Assault Weapons" on the newsstands. There were many magazine articles on that theme. We need to be careful about what we say, always.
This includes stating on internet forums "If somebody breaks into my house you bet I'll kill the SOB" and "if someone poses a threat, you shoot til you set his clothes on fire".

Old 06-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #75

another thing to consider....litigation aside....some people, such as myself, just don't care for the look of modern "assault" rifles.

if i pull out a gun at someone's ranch, i really don't want their first thought to be "wow, militant nut job." this may be inaccurate, but people are people....and i know some people that i respect that i would rather not think of me in that manner.

in addition, i think modern assault rifles (AK, AR, etc) are made for war & thus more "utilitarian" than sporting rifles. older military rifles are now made for beauty and collectibility. modern war weapons are of course effective, but they are also ugly. i'm one that likes a rifle to look good. this is of course, subjective. there may be someone out there that thinks an AK is a beautiful gun & that's ok.

form vs function. in the end all guns are designed to shoot bullets....its just personal preferences.

all my humble opinion.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:33 AM   #76

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

An SKS is not now and has never been an assault rifle. Assault rifles are fully automatic, medium cartridge carbines. The SKS has never been fully automatic. That's the definition used in the "Assault Weapons Ban" from the early 1990's. The SKS was added to that list even though it was never part of the equation they created that describes what an assault weapon is.

The SKS does not look like an assault weapon either. People are suggesting the Ruger Mini series rifles here. They look every bit as much like an assault rifle as the SKS. In face I'd say they look MORE like an assault rifle than the SKS. The mag extends farther below the stock on the Mini's especially on the Mini 30 which shoots the same ammo as the SKS and the AK-47. BTW those that suggest the AK should know that it is the epitome of what an assault weapon looks like. Their design is recognized the world over as an assault rifle.

The SKS is a better semi-auto rifle than the semi-auto AK's. They're more accurate and every bit as durable. And just for the record I've seen shotguns with magazines that stuck out below the stock since the early 1960's. The design may go back even further but that's as far back as I remember. So again, the SKS does not look like an assault rifle and unless someone flat out lies about that the nature of the weapon it can't be described as one either.

They aren't as accurate as a bolt action rifle for sure. But perfection in accuracy is overrated IMO. The person who said, "only accurate guns are interesting" much not have been around such classics as the Marlin lever action guns. They aren't any more accurate than an SKS.

You probably won't have a problem guessing which rifle I think fits your situation.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:01 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Behind my bedroom door is a Marlin Model 94 .44 mag, loaded with .44 sp 200 gr Gold Dots. I have similar concerns about over-zealous prosecutors demonizing military looking rifles.
And about this "assault rifle" deal. I have heard ad nauseum that "assault rifle" does not apply to a semi-auto rifle. But we are not blameless here, before the Clinton gun ban we (the shooting community) gleefully talked about assault rifles. I remember seeing "The Guns & Ammo Book of Assault Weapons" on the newsstands. There were many magazine articles on that theme. We need to be careful about what we say, always.
This includes stating on internet forums "If somebody breaks into my house you bet I'll kill the SOB" and "if someone poses a threat, you shoot til you set his clothes on fire".
Yeah, I got a Marlin like that.

A steal at 500$, wonderful Black Walnut furniture,

but hardly a "budget" rifle...

Old 06-28-2011, 05:20 AM   #78
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1722 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 3649

Something like this??
Remington Rifles/Shotguns remington 750 woodsmaster carbine - RemingtonPro.com

Old 07-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
Yeah, over 800.$ after shipping,FFL. A hell of a price to pay so some

prosecuting attorney will think(but not necessarily SAY) nice things about your

rifle, in the event you EVER wind up in court in the first place.

ryevick{OP}, do you really want society's attitude to ruin your firearm selection

and shooting experience?

Because YOU are the one who's paying the money here, and is going to

look at, handle, shoot, and clean whatever you select.

Last edited by therewolf; 07-01-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Yeah, over 800.$ after shipping,FFL. A hell of a price to pay so some

prosecuting attorney will think(but not necessarily SAY) nice things about your

rifle, in the event you EVER wind up in court in the first place.

ryevick{OP}, do you really want society's attitude to ruin your firearm selection

and shooting experience?

Because YOU are the one who's paying the money here, and is going to

look at, handle, shoot, and clean whatever you select.
i agree with you. he should get what he likes, for whatever reason. if litigation, sterotypes or the opininions of others matter to him, like you said, its his money. it is a legitimate point of view whether others agree or not.
a lot of non-gun owners think anytime they see a pistol grip & hi cap magazine, it is a more "evil" gun. this may not always be true, but it is still a fairly common belief amoung the firearm uneducated.

but also remember, there are firearm owners who just dislike the look and handling of modern "assault" style rifles (AR, AK, etc). i'm one of them, i don't really even like pistol grips on rifles. this makes it hard when you want a high capacity semi-auto that doesn't fit this look or feel. not a great deal of options out there, and many are very expensive. i relate to the problem and concern of the OP, as i went out looking for the same thing and found few options.

i still suggest a good lever rifle, mini, or (as another suggested), even an sks wouldn't be a bad choice.

my vote goes to the lever gun in 30-30. very versatile rifle. light and quick handling. hunt, self defense...it can handle it all. a great all around rifle that can be had for a little over $300 new.