What's A Good, Budget "Non-Assault" Rifle? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > What's A Good, Budget "Non-Assault" Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1099

Ruger mini 14
S&W Sigma 9mm
Mossberg 12 gauge

Old 04-10-2011, 02:38 AM   #32

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Assualt is a verb not a noun. We shouldn't use that term it's a term the libs use to describe things they are frightened of.
Assault can be a noun ("they began the assault"), but I absolutely agree it is just a phrase used to describe scaaaaary things.

You might also consider a semi-auto shotgun. Some hold 8 or even 9 rounds and can give you a crap-ton of firepower. Add decent optics and stretch your range to well past 100 yards.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:36 AM   #33

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

.30 cal carbine basiclly a pistol round but I have taken a deer with one, and they can stop men, short easy to use. There about the same length as if you have a pistol fully drawn.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 04-11-2011, 02:15 AM   #34

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

The reason my first rifle was a Garand:

1) 30.06(that's 7.62 x 63) even with the Garand COL restrictions, a lot of room

for varied commercially available and reloading ammo,

2)Great range in a compact package,(1000 yards+, limited only by your ability)

3)Good knock down power,

4)Semi-auto, with optional 5-shot hunting clips,

5)Good looks in an inexpensive beater.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

The garand is and always will be an awesome rifle. I wouldn't call it a "budget " choice though.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Assault can be a noun ("they began the assault"), but I absolutely agree it is just a phrase used to describe scaaaaary things.
Silly me.. All along I was thinking it was "a salt gun". Y'know, like a Mossberg using a rock salt shell (I kid, I kid)...

Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #37

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah sounds like your looking for a SKS or maybe an uncoverted Saiga. I'd go for the Saiga as they are solid as steel and won't be near as heavy as an SKS. I had a Saiga once and had a dumb moment and ended up selling it.

http://www.raacfirearms.com/Saiga.htm

Last edited by KentuckyBob; 04-12-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #38

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
The garand is and always will be an awesome rifle. I wouldn't call it a "budget " choice though.
A good point.

What, exactly, is your "budget" for this rifle, OP?

(Once we figure our what "budget" means, maybe somebody can explain it to

Congress, because apparently, college math and economics classes don't cover

this term...)

Last edited by therewolf; 04-12-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #39

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Well, anything is an assault rifle nowadays. Just look at the Ruger 10-22. Any configuration from plane jane classic wood and metal Americana to folding stocks and tactical optics.

Ruger Mini-14s and SKS' fit your bill without falling too much into the "assault rifle" stigma (although both use assault rifle bullets... hmmm). The SKS is a budget gun, good ones go from $350 and up, I wouldn't pay more than $500 for a russian made one in perfect condition. Rugers have a good reputation too, but the gun and ammo is a little pricier. The Rugers are also more accurate.

You see, the reason that a lot of home defense guns look like "assault rifles" is their round. A full caliber hunting round (30-30, 30-06, .308, etc.) has a lot of recoil and penetrates a lot. However, the assault rifle round has a lot less recoil, are available on more versatile platforms, cheaper ammo, and a whole lot less recoil.

These smaller rounds might not look like much, but pose yourself this question, would you let someone shoot you with it? If the answer is no, then its an effective home defense round. Good luck, hope all this helped.

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryevick View Post
I am looking to get a few firearms (shotgun, rifle, pistol) for security mostly. I hope to make this a one-time purchase and pray I don't become addicted to them during my "getting to know you" period with my guns. I am very new to all of this so please keep that in mind.

What is a good budget semi-auto rifle that is not classified as an "assault rifle"? I don't want any legal headaches if someone does get hurt, God forbid. I would like something with stopping power but I also don't want a round that can't be stopped. I would guess anything over 200-300 yards would be overkill but you folks would know better than I would. I was looking at the 7.62x39 round but I would think that would be strictly an "assault" rifle round... but then again, I have no idea. Any recommendations?
Any rifle that does not fire full auto is a sporting weapon and is defined by a single round being fired with every pull of the trigger an assault rifle is defined by multiple rounds being fired with a single pull of the trigger. It really has nothing to do with looks that is the classification and unless your a cop or an ffl you cant get one so you dont have to worry about that but as for budget you can pick up a good ar for 600 to 750 and the higher end guns with a different logo on the side 12 to 2200 ducketts

It only hurts till the pain goes away...