What's A Good, Budget "Non-Assault" Rifle? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion >

What's A Good, Budget "Non-Assault" Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 06:57 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfan4141 View Post
if you dont want to go assault rifle there is the ruger mini-14 (223) that is an old fashion looking rifle but you can get 30 rounds magazines and they even make one in the 7.62x39. mosserg 500 pump shotguns can be bought for around $300 and they are very riable. if you only want to spend $400 or less on a pistol here are some choice. ruger p-89, ruger p-90, smith and wesson sigma, ruger sr9, ruger sr40. anything that is a black gun that resembles a machine gun is an assault weapon. eventhough there are hunting rifles that are old school rifles and have more powerful loads bullet for bullet than the ar-15 and ak-47. people love ar-15 and other guns like it just because the way it looks. that is why so many companies came out with rifles that look like ar-15's but shoot 22 caliber.
I was already looking at the Mossberg 590 shotgun (20")

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 02-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Not all toilet paper is the same.
lol... you had me worried for a second there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
But, any gun is better than no gun when defending yourself and your loved ones.
Amen to that!

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 03-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I am afraid that the addiction part is uncontrollable...

Old 03-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #24

Liked 3239 Times on 1624 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Flintlock muskets were the "assault weapons" fo their day. Get what works for you, if you think it's too "menacing looking," find some nice pastel paint and go to work.
I would look at a SKS if your budget senstive. Plenty of cool products out there for them. They more fun than anything that inexpensive deserves to be.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 03-13-2011, 01:00 AM   #25

This would make a good inexspensive home defense shotgun with an 8 shot tube, made by Mossburg.
88 Security

Hand gun, I like the high capacity 9 mm's with 124 gr. +P's for any defense or offense.
Lot's of choices out there.

I also wouldn't rule out an inexspensive AK with some 30 rd. clips in the event extra fire power would ever be needed for whatever senario. Kinda like an insurance policy, it's there if you need it.

Last edited by Nicodemus; 03-13-2011 at 01:12 AM.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:32 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

If we're talking about "budget" semi-auto, sporterish. The stock SKS is the clear winner. Ammo is cheap and the upgrades are easy to come by. However, If the concern is with the aftermath of a self defense shooting, 922r compliance may come into play. It refers to imported assault rifles having x number of US made parts if it has a detachable mag. If its just home defense you are looking for, a pump action shotgun will do just fine. A saiga 12ga semi auto is better They run about 550 to 800 depending on configuration and when the last shipment hit (PM me for more info on availability, I'll get you set up)

Old 04-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #27

Your original post seems as if you are crying out for an SKS ..... get one.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #28

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

If you're so worried about "appearances" and what joe judge would think,

why not just get a bolt-action?

The Browning BAR comes to mind. Sedate looking. It's a 30-06, semi,

and shoots five rounds...

Old 04-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #29

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I would stay with an AK rifle ....a WASR10 is inexpensive, 7,62 is a powerful round, cheaper ammo, lots of upgrades... it´s a lot of bang for the buck, very polyvalent all around rifle...
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 04-07-2011, 11:53 PM   #30
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3569 Times on 1719 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

ryevic,

Not being critical but as stated an Assault Rifle is a Full Auto or Three Round Burst weapon like some of the M-4 Military Rifles. The liberals love to hear us honest sportsmen refer to them as Assault Rifles even though the semi-auto AR-15s, M1-As, SKS and other rifles are NOT Assault Rifles.
Those words raise the hair on some of us. Anyway back to your original question. From what I have heard you explain I think a nice SKS Rifle which is semi-auto and shoots the 7.62X39 Round! The ammunition is readily available and as inexpensive as you will find for a center fire rifle. You can find them in bulk cans as well as places like Cheaper than Dirt, Dealers and at Local Gun Shows. That would be my advise and the SKS rifles are not expensive either. You can even trick them out later with some optional accessories.
Hope this helps!