Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > What's A Good, Budget "Non-Assault" Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 03:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you are restricting your choice by this http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/whats-good-budget-non-assault-rifle-38935/#post452723, then I would suggest you buy one of these:

Ruger Tactical Mini14, .223, ~$700

People get the government they deserve.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:58 AM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Unfortunately there aren't that many "sporting" semi autos out there to choose from. At least none that hold enough ammo to hold enough off. For serous defense, you'll have to pick from the military type rifles. A good scum bad prosecuting attorney can paint you as an unstable gun nut for your choice of defense. Myself,they can kiss my a$$! I'll use anything I damn well please. I never really gave it much thought. I guess if I felt that strongly about it, I'd go with a lever gun. With practice I'll bet you can get pretty fast. Were you live will have a lot to do with a jury, should you find yourself facing one.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Old 02-25-2011, 04:02 AM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
If you are restricting your choice by this http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/whats-good-budget-non-assault-rifle-38935/#post452723, then I would suggest you buy one of these:

Ruger Tactical Mini14, .223, ~$700

Again, it could be made to influence people that its an, "assault rifle". Remember the Miami Shoot Out? + its black. Black guns are bad!

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Old 02-25-2011, 04:33 AM   #14

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryevick View Post
I am looking to get a few firearms (shotgun, rifle, pistol) for security mostly. I hope to make this a one-time purchase and pray I don't become addicted to them during my "getting to know you" period with my guns. I am very new to all of this so please keep that in mind.

What is a good budget semi-auto rifle that is not classified as an "assault rifle"? I don't want any legal headaches if someone does get hurt, God forbid. I would like something with stopping power but I also don't want a round that can't be stopped. I would guess anything over 200-300 yards would be overkill but you folks would know better than I would. I was looking at the 7.62x39 round but I would think that would be strictly an "assault" rifle round... but then again, I have no idea. Any recommendations?
Couple of things to consider...if and when you ever have to use a gun to defend yourself you are going to have legal headaches, doesn't matter if you use an AR-15, a Mini 14, a shotgun, a .22 pistol or a pointy stick.

A 7.62mm round is what is used in an AK 47 and an M-14 I believe, it has way too much power and speed to be considered a primary, in the home defense weapon...a handgun or better yet a shotgun would be, and are, my first choices, YMMV.

Now regarding this assault weapon stuff, the libs coined that phrase to scare people into going along with their gun banning efforts. After all, who could be against banning an assault weapon? Do you know that in NJ certain toy guns are banned because they fail the "assault weapon" test for having too many "evil gun" features. Learn to avoid that phrase, it pizzes a lot of people here off and labels you as a newb, or worse it raises a red flag about your intentions here.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 02-25-2011 at 04:38 AM.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:34 AM   #15

if you dont want to go assault rifle there is the ruger mini-14 (223) that is an old fashion looking rifle but you can get 30 rounds magazines and they even make one in the 7.62x39. mosserg 500 pump shotguns can be bought for around $300 and they are very riable. if you only want to spend $400 or less on a pistol here are some choice. ruger p-89, ruger p-90, smith and wesson sigma, ruger sr9, ruger sr40. anything that is a black gun that resembles a machine gun is an assault weapon. eventhough there are hunting rifles that are old school rifles and have more powerful loads bullet for bullet than the ar-15 and ak-47. people love ar-15 and other guns like it just because the way it looks. that is why so many companies came out with rifles that look like ar-15's but shoot 22 caliber.

Last edited by ballfan4141; 02-25-2011 at 04:40 AM.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:17 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

my opinion is dont worry about the legal ramifications of using one gun over another. just make sure its a clean shoot.

for a non assault rifle i'd go with the sks. it's chambered in 7.62x39 and is a good gun. look for one with a milled receiver preferably. i'd use soft points for self defense

the lever action idea is a good one, except i'd go with a pistol caliber round in the carbine. mostly because it will have less over penetration and the ammo will be cheaper.

another good option would be an M1 Garand. it's only and 8 shot, but it's 8 shots of 30-06

if you change your mind about the assault style rifle, then i'd go with an ak style rifle. they're chambered in the round you mentioned and can be had for 400-600. an ar is going to run you 600-1000.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:47 AM   #17

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Please pay attention to the phrasing of the above posts.

We all do know that the AR in AR-15 (and others) stands for Armalite, right?

We are all smart enough to realize that the definitions of the Clinton Ban are just about as reasonable and well thought out as Shamwows, right?

Rifles are rifles. Handguns are handguns. Rocket launchers are rocket launchers. Not all toilet paper is the same.

For home defense, I will back the suggestions of a shotgun. Many loads these days can take down the bad guys and you don't have to worry as much about over-penetration. Powerful rifle rounds will pass through the bg, the wall behind the bg and the good person behind the wall. Defensive handgun ammo is less likely to do the same as it transfers the energy to the bg.

But, any gun is better than no gun when defending yourself and your loved ones.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Last edited by skullcrusher; 02-25-2011 at 05:50 AM.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:48 AM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Now regarding this assault weapon stuff, the libs coined that phrase to scare people into going along with their gun banning efforts. After all, who could be against banning an assault weapon? Do you know that in NJ certain toy guns are banned because they fail the "assault weapon" test for having too many "evil gun" features. Learn to avoid that phrase, it pizzes a lot of people here off and labels you as a newb, or worse it raises a red flag about your intentions here.
Why do you think I'm asking what I'm asking? It's not because of what I think... it's the a$$holes around me that can effect me with their ignorance. You should read my post closer were I stated I am new to this... but that doesn't change the fact that I don't give a damn about how you want to label me

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 02-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKSlinger View Post
Again, it could be made to influence people that its an, "assault rifle". Remember the Miami Shoot Out? + its black. Black guns are bad!
lol... i know right...

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 02-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverGunner View Post
my opinion is dont worry about the legal ramifications of using one gun over another. just make sure its a clean shoot.

for a non assault rifle i'd go with the sks. it's chambered in 7.62x39 and is a good gun. look for one with a milled receiver preferably. i'd use soft points for self defense

the lever action idea is a good one, except i'd go with a pistol caliber round in the carbine. mostly because it will have less over penetration and the ammo will be cheaper.

another good option would be an M1 Garand. it's only and 8 shot, but it's 8 shots of 30-06

if you change your mind about the assault style rifle, then i'd go with an ak style rifle. they're chambered in the round you mentioned and can be had for 400-600. an ar is going to run you 600-1000.
If I do wind up going with an assault style rifle I was looking at the Lancaster AK-47 (3076-478M) but if I can find something as I mentioned here I will probably go with that.