What's A Good, Budget "Non-Assault" Rifle?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > What's A Good, Budget "Non-Assault" Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default What's A Good, Budget "Non-Assault" Rifle?

I am looking to get a few firearms (shotgun, rifle, pistol) for security mostly. I hope to make this a one-time purchase and pray I don't become addicted to them during my "getting to know you" period with my guns. I am very new to all of this so please keep that in mind.

What is a good budget semi-auto rifle that is not classified as an "assault rifle"? I don't want any legal headaches if someone does get hurt, God forbid. I would like something with stopping power but I also don't want a round that can't be stopped. I would guess anything over 200-300 yards would be overkill but you folks would know better than I would. I was looking at the 7.62x39 round but I would think that would be strictly an "assault" rifle round... but then again, I have no idea. Any recommendations?

Last edited by ryevick; 02-24-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

AR15's make excellent medium range defense rifles. and no they are not assault rifles. an assault rifle is a select fire weapon used by military forces to arm light infantry used in an a frontal assault role. you cannot purchase an assault rifle without lots of nfa paperwork, a hefty 300$ tax stamp, and about 12,000$. so pretty much any magazine fed rifle you find in a gunstore will suit your purpose just fine.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You're talking about an SUR, a sport utility rifle. An SKS is very inexpensive and ammunition is cheap. An AR type or possibly a Mini 14 or a Mini 30 could fit the bill.

An M1A or a FAL would be awesome, but they are somewhat heavy battle rifles. However, they can definitely reach out and touch stuff.

We can help you better if you could be a bit more specific.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #4

If you're concerned about how the rifle looks to your neighbors or, God forbid, a jury of your peers you may want to consider a lever action rifle. A Marlin 336 in .30-30 will fill the role nicely. They can be had for around $400 new at places like Academy Sports.

Your Humble Servant,

SILENCE DOGOOD

Old 02-24-2011, 11:37 PM   #5

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilenceDogood View Post
If you're concerned about how the rifle looks to your neighbors or, God forbid, a jury of your peers you may want to consider a lever action rifle. A Marlin 336 in .30-30 will fill the role nicely. They can be had for around $400 new at places like Academy Sports.

Your Humble Servant,

SILENCE DOGOOD
I was thinking the same thing! A .44-40 is a great round in a lever rifle, .45 LC would be just as good. Both will give you VG 100 yard accuracy. A carbine in a pistol caliber, like 9mm or .45acp will make for a great 50 yard rifle. A high point carbine would be a good cheap rig.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
AR15's make excellent medium range defense rifles. and no they are not assault rifles.
I like them... my brother has one. I haven't fired it yet but I will say the round looks a little on the small side. I wouldn't think it has a lot of stopping power by the looks of it. I haven't heard anyone talk about the round I mentioned.

Below I am posting what I read in Wikipedia. It states that the AR-15 is an assault weapon. I said assault rifle but apparently there's a difference.

By former U.S. law, the legal term assault weapon included certain specific semi-automatic firearm models by name (e.g., Colt AR-15, TEC-9, non-automatic AK-47s produced by three manufacturers, and Uzis) and other semi-automatic firearms because they possess a minimum set of features from the following list of features:
A semi-automatic Kalashnikov AKM rifle.
An Intratec TEC-DC9 with 32-round magazine; a semi-automatic pistol formerly classified as an Assault Weapon under Federal Law.

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

* Folding or telescoping stock
* Pistol grip
* Bayonet mount
* Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
* Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device which enables the launching or firing of rifle grenades)

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

* Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
* Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
* Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
* Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
* A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:

* Folding or telescoping stock
* Pistol grip
* Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
* Detachable magazine

The earlier term assault rifle refers to rifles that are capable of fully automatic fire. In contrast, the term "assault weapon" refers to weapons capable of semi-automatic fire that had those certain features, as listed above. The ban did not cover "assault rifles", but merely the new category of "assault weapons" which did not include automatic firearms of any type.

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 02-25-2011, 12:15 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I was thinking the same thing! A .44-40 is a great round in a lever rifle, .45 LC would be just as good. Both will give you VG 100 yard accuracy. A carbine in a pistol caliber, like 9mm or .45acp will make for a great 50 yard rifle. A high point carbine would be a good cheap rig.
I hadn't really thought about a lever action... I had a Marlin 30-30 when I was a kid... I kinda would prefer semi-auto though.

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 02-25-2011, 12:51 AM   #8

Remington makes a pump action series of rifles, 760/7600. They can be had in a variety of capable calibers, and can be fired quite quickly if need be.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:34 AM   #9

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

depends on what "Budget" means to you!

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 02-25-2011, 03:42 AM   #10

Liked 2512 Times on 1128 Posts
Likes Given: 2411

When those lever guns were invented i bet the Indians were thinking "damn where did those assualt rifles come from"

Assualt is a verb not a noun. We shouldn't use that term it's a term the libs use to describe things they are frightened of.