What's a good all around semi-auto? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > What's a good all around semi-auto?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Wow, thanks for all the great info! This has to be the most active forum I've posted in. I think it's settled on the AR then. I'll get one along with good ammo and a field-cleaning kit. I'm not settled on a side arm yet. I've really considered a six-shot like Oarangello mentioned, but came to that "gang of more than six" problem. I'll probably go with a 9mm just cause I'm familiar with how they feel. I'm not worried about hunting with my side-arm. If I can get close enough to kill something with a pistol, I can kill it with a long bow (paracord and PVC =]). Side-arm will be for self-defense. I might end up with an SKS too just cause I have a buddy who says he can get em dirt cheap from someone who makes border runs frequently.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #22

Just saying I wouldn't put steel through my guns the ammo isn't flawed I've just seen them cause hell to the gun it self.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #23

Liked 1727 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I think a lot of the AR griping comes from people who like to shoot cheapo russian ammo. Those people should use cheapo russian ammo in the firearms designed to be able to handle it (looser tolerances) the SKS and AK-type rifles. My friend has had a WASR10 (AK-type rifle) for a while, and he made the mistake of buying a bunch of Wolf .223 ammo when he bought an AR. His AR didn't like the dirty & variable Wolf, but it does fine with PMC ammo. My SKS, well it thinks jams are for sandwiches, but it's a bit heavier than his AR and not quite as accurate.

As for your handgun question, you want a semi-auto that is both gang and hunting capable, and that seems a lot to ask. Maybe something in 10mm, but that would be a compromise for hunting anything that won't let you get close. Why not a revolver? A good ole ruger gp100 with a 6" barrel can reach out with good .357 mag rounds OR provide quick follow-up shots with the .38 special rounds. Mine has good iron sights and is simple to clean. Of course, if the gang attacking has more than six members or i miss one, i will need to reload quickly with a handy speedloader (i have a pair). For a SHTF pistol that would need to do double duty for hunting, i would want my gp100 and some ammo variety.

You make a good point, maybe unintentionally. If you were in an end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it situation, with the supply chains long gone, wouldn't you want a weapon that didn't care what type of ammo it shot? The good stuff just may not be available.

Carl Sagan

Old 02-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #24

Liked 1727 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
I think a lot of the AR griping comes from people who like to shoot cheapo russian ammo. Those people should use cheapo russian ammo in the firearms designed to be able to handle it (looser tolerances) the SKS and AK-type rifles. My friend has had a WASR10 (AK-type rifle) for a while, and he made the mistake of buying a bunch of Wolf .223 ammo when he bought an AR. His AR didn't like the dirty & variable Wolf, but it does fine with PMC ammo. My SKS, well it thinks jams are for sandwiches, but it's a bit heavier than his AR and not quite as accurate.

As for your handgun question, you want a semi-auto that is both gang and hunting capable, and that seems a lot to ask. Maybe something in 10mm, but that would be a compromise for hunting anything that won't let you get close. Why not a revolver? A good ole ruger gp100 with a 6" barrel can reach out with good .357 mag rounds OR provide quick follow-up shots with the .38 special rounds. Mine has good iron sights and is simple to clean. Of course, if the gang attacking has more than six members or i miss one, i will need to reload quickly with a handy speedloader (i have a pair). For a SHTF pistol that would need to do double duty for hunting, i would want my gp100 and some ammo variety.

You make a good point, maybe unintentionally. If you were in an end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it situation, with the supply chains long gone, wouldn't you want a weapon that didn't care what type of ammo it shot? The good stuff just may not be available.

My old SAR-1 doesn't care what it is fed. It shakes and rattles like a garbage truck, but it goes bang when you pull the trigger. Another poster indicated that the accuracy, beyond 100 yards was an issue. I live in the woods, and since I would never be hiding, or fighting, in an area that you needed longer than 100 yard shots, that issue would not matter as much to me as reliability and ability to shoot what was available. If I lived in the plains, I might feel differently about the accuracy issue, but not the reliability with sub-par ammo.

Carl Sagan

Old 02-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quality ARs aren't picky either nor do they need to have a white glove taken to them. I like a lot of different rifles but the AR has more boxes checked than any rifle I know of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a

Damn, Jon,
Wish you had been the armorer in some of the CAV units I was in. Our weapons WERE the mythical guns that only worked when the sun was shining and were white glove clean. We saw a LOT of daylight between our receivers, which had every imaginable brand on them, from Mattel, General Motors, Singer sewing company, and many other billy-jo-bob companies. Occasionally we would have a Colt, which usually went to someone in the commanders office. Sometimes we would have to take a hammer to the mags to get them to go in, or so loose you didn't need the mag release button to remove them. Then when we wrote them up for malfunctions, we were told it was our fault they wouldn't cycle a whole magazine because they weren't white glove clean when we turned them in. Now that I know better, I don't let our armorer play that game (that and being the acting 1SG helps a little).
There are crappy guns out there, and I try to steer clear of those, but a lot of military units end up getting the shaft because of the lowest bidder.
That's funny. I was a 19D Cavalry Scout and we had problems with our AR's also. Fort Knox 5/15 CAV and Fort Polk 3/1CAV. Maybe they were trying to improve our ability to clear jams quickly. SPORTS! Slap, pull, observe, release, tap, shoot. Fort Knox was OSUT (Basic and AIT). Glad they taught me that early.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Get two SKSs and spend the money you saved on ammo and your other kit. The second gun can be carried by the cute girl you bring with you.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:23 AM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Get an AK in .223 caliber. Make sure it has a folding or collapsible stock on it. Then mount a simple 4X or 6X scope on it and zero it. That should get you everything you need. Also make sure to eventually get 7 or so magazines to go with the rifle.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #29
I don't come with an "edit" option....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 919 Times on 579 Posts
Likes Given: 4839

Quote:

I have an AR, I use Brown Bear (Russian) ammo. Put over 5000 rds of that stuff through it and the only problem I had was when I ran out.

I have a feeling that there was something else causing their issues, and they blamed it on the ammo. I've served with enough people to know that they will always blame the object and not themselves (and no, not libs, stupid privates and arrogant NCOs).

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3357 Times on 1738 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Damn, Jon,
Wish you had been the armorer in some of the CAV units I was in. Our weapons WERE the mythical guns that only worked when the sun was shining and were white glove clean. We saw a LOT of daylight between our receivers, which had every imaginable brand on them, from Mattel, General Motors, Singer sewing company, and many other billy-jo-bob companies. Occasionally we would have a Colt, which usually went to someone in the commanders office. Sometimes we would have to take a hammer to the mags to get them to go in, or so loose you didn't need the mag release button to remove them. Then when we wrote them up for malfunctions, we were told it was our fault they wouldn't cycle a whole magazine because they weren't white glove clean when we turned them in. Now that I know better, I don't let our armorer play that game (that and being the acting 1SG helps a little).
There are crappy guns out there, and I try to steer clear of those, but a lot of military units end up getting the shaft because of the lowest bidder.
Huh? Mattel never made any AR-15's or M-16's. Urban/military legend.

Singer Sewing Machine made 1911A1's in WWII but not M-16's or even m-14's for that matter.