What's a good all around semi-auto? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > What's a good all around semi-auto?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I think a lot of the AR griping comes from people who like to shoot cheapo russian ammo. Those people should use cheapo russian ammo in the firearms designed to be able to handle it (looser tolerances) the SKS and AK-type rifles. My friend has had a WASR10 (AK-type rifle) for a while, and he made the mistake of buying a bunch of Wolf .223 ammo when he bought an AR. His AR didn't like the dirty & variable Wolf, but it does fine with PMC ammo. My SKS, well it thinks jams are for sandwiches, but it's a bit heavier than his AR and not quite as accurate.

As for your handgun question, you want a semi-auto that is both gang and hunting capable, and that seems a lot to ask. Maybe something in 10mm, but that would be a compromise for hunting anything that won't let you get close. Why not a revolver? A good ole ruger gp100 with a 6" barrel can reach out with good .357 mag rounds OR provide quick follow-up shots with the .38 special rounds. Mine has good iron sights and is simple to clean. Of course, if the gang attacking has more than six members or i miss one, i will need to reload quickly with a handy speedloader (i have a pair). For a SHTF pistol that would need to do double duty for hunting, i would want my gp100 and some ammo variety.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #12

Liked 1654 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

For a thousand dollars, buy a $450.00 AK clone and $650.00 worth of ammo to practice with and stash.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 02-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #13

Liked 750 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 794

Orangello and Jon have pointed out some good points. I had no other way of saying it. I really like the AK74 clones. I sold my AR. Why, because I needed $$ and did not shoot it much. Cheap steel cased ammo was an issue w/ mine. I kept my Wasr2 in 5.45 and am very happy. It really comes down to what works for you. BTW, I still have quite a bit of surplus 5.56 as there will be more rifles out there then ammo if TSHTF.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
I think a lot of the AR griping comes from people who like to shoot cheapo russian ammo. Those people should use cheapo russian ammo in the firearms designed to be able to handle it (looser tolerances) the SKS and AK-type rifles. My friend has had a WASR10 (AK-type rifle) for a while, and he made the mistake of buying a bunch of Wolf .223 ammo when he bought an AR. His AR didn't like the dirty & variable Wolf, but it does fine with PMC ammo. My SKS, well it thinks jams are$ for sandwiches, but it's a bit heavier than his AR and not quite as accurate.

As for your handgun question, you want a semi-auto that is both gang and hunting capable, and that seems a lot to ask. Maybe something in 10mm, but that would be a compromise for hunting anything that won't let you get close. Why not a revolver? A good ole ruger gp100 with a 6" barrel can reach out with good .357 mag rounds OR provide quick follow-up shots with the .38 special rounds. Mine has good iron sights and is simple to clean. Of course, if the gang attacking has more than six members or i miss one, i will need to reload quickly with a handy speedloader (i have a pair). For a SHTF pistol that would need to do double duty for hunting, i would want my gp100 and some ammo variety.
Yep steel rounds are crap. Also agree with your opinion on the .357

Old 02-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #15

Also I'll be getting a rifle for the same reasons in case 'Fit hits the shan'.
Here's my shopping list for when the time comes

-AK-47
-AR-15 or Mini 14
-.44 Mag
-Colt .45 (side arm)
-12 guage
-tons of ammo
-Crossbow
-KA-BAR
-Repeling/climbing rope
-Combat shovel (the folding ones)
-Shelter in a remote area
-M.R.E.'s
-clean water
-fishing poles and line
-guard and hunting dogs
Blue tick (hunting)
Doberman (guard)

Did I forget anything?

Oh yeah and a 9mm as a second side arm if you had to find more ammo 9mm is more commenly carried I would say.

Last edited by Foskco; 02-17-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon_xof
Howdy,
I've recently become a prepper (with the economy the way it is and all this war crap going on, I ain't gettin caught with my pants down!) Anyway, I'm planning for the absolute worst situation: fighting my way away from civilization and going Grizzly Adams. So I'd like some advice on a good all around semi. I want something that could take out a group of thugs, double for large game hunting, and isn't too finicky in the field. And preferably with good iron sights so I don't have to rely on a scope.
I was dead set on an AR-15 till I read that you have to baby them to prevent jamming. Then I was leaning toward the AK-47, but I've been told they're not very accurate.
Not sure how accurate those statements are, so I'd really appreciate some input from knowledgeable gun folk.
Thanks in advance,
J
I don't know who you've been talking to about AR15s but they are wrong. Now if you buy an AR from some POS manufacturer then yes but, isn't that the case with anything. The AR is a proven system weapon system.

As far as people saying steel case ammo is crap, they are wrong. I shoot steel almost exclusively and have had 1 problem, a hard primer, in almost 3k rounds.

Edit: the cleaning thing is wrong as well. Keep it lubed and you'll be more than good to go. I rarely clean my ARs and they run great.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Last edited by mjkeat; 02-17-2012 at 02:16 PM.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #17

Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Not sure who has the mythical ar15 that only works when the sun is shining and hasnt a spot of dirt on it. My ar15's run through mud dirt water sleet snow rain. My colt sp1 ive worn two barrels out with has never had a fail to feed fail to fire since i bought it in 1986.

My issue m16a1 in basic training i have no idea how many thousands of hands used it never missed a beat. My issue m16a2 had no problems. I was the unit armorer and i honestly dont remember a single malfunction with any of our unit's issued m16s.

Damn, Jon,
Wish you had been the armorer in some of the CAV units I was in. Our weapons WERE the mythical guns that only worked when the sun was shining and were white glove clean. We saw a LOT of daylight between our receivers, which had every imaginable brand on them, from Mattel, General Motors, Singer sewing company, and many other billy-jo-bob companies. Occasionally we would have a Colt, which usually went to someone in the commanders office. Sometimes we would have to take a hammer to the mags to get them to go in, or so loose you didn't need the mag release button to remove them. Then when we wrote them up for malfunctions, we were told it was our fault they wouldn't cycle a whole magazine because they weren't white glove clean when we turned them in. Now that I know better, I don't let our armorer play that game (that and being the acting 1SG helps a little).
There are crappy guns out there, and I try to steer clear of those, but a lot of military units end up getting the shaft because of the lowest bidder.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a

Damn, Jon,
Wish you had been the armorer in some of the CAV units I was in. Our weapons WERE the mythical guns that only worked when the sun was shining and were white glove clean. We saw a LOT of daylight between our receivers, which had every imaginable brand on them, from Mattel, General Motors, Singer sewing company, and many other billy-jo-bob companies. Occasionally we would have a Colt, which usually went to someone in the commanders office. Sometimes we would have to take a hammer to the mags to get them to go in, or so loose you didn't need the mag release button to remove them. Then when we wrote them up for malfunctions, we were told it was our fault they wouldn't cycle a whole magazine because they weren't white glove clean when we turned them in. Now that I know better, I don't let our armorer play that game (that and being the acting 1SG helps a little).
There are crappy guns out there, and I try to steer clear of those, but a lot of military units end up getting the shaft because of the lowest bidder.
Sounds like you needed a better chain of command and arms room sgt. Our weapons although "well loved" were always in good working order.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Sounds like you needed a better chain of command and arms room sgt. Our weapons although "well loved" were always in good working order.
Systemic problem because too many leaders were using doctrine as an excuse not to keep their weapons serviced. I turned in a weapon with a 2404 for broken gas rings, and six months later when I signed the same weapon out, the rings were still broke. I started carrying my own set when I went to the range after that. A .35 cent part that the armorer was too lazy to replace, and commander was too lazy to make him do his job. Anyhow, enough of my soapbox. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I think a lot of the AR griping comes from people who like to shoot cheapo russian ammo. Those people should use cheapo russian ammo in the firearms designed to be able to handle it (looser tolerances) the SKS and AK-type rifles. My friend has had a WASR10 (AK-type rifle) for a while, and he made the mistake of buying a bunch of Wolf .223 ammo when he bought an AR. His AR didn't like the dirty & variable Wolf, but it does fine with PMC ammo. My SKS, well it thinks jams are for sandwiches, but it's a bit heavier than his AR and not quite as accurate.
My AR's have no problem with Wolf, or any other ammo. 'Course, I built 'em myself.