What's a good all around semi-auto?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > What's a good all around semi-auto?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What's a good all around semi-auto?

Howdy,
I've recently become a prepper (with the economy the way it is and all this war crap going on, I ain't gettin caught with my pants down!) Anyway, I'm planning for the absolute worst situation: fighting my way away from civilization and going Grizzly Adams. So I'd like some advice on a good all around semi. I want something that could take out a group of thugs, double for large game hunting, and isn't too finicky in the field. And preferably with good iron sights so I don't have to rely on a scope.
I was dead set on an AR-15 till I read that you have to baby them to prevent jamming. Then I was leaning toward the AK-47, but I've been told they're not very accurate.
Not sure how accurate those statements are, so I'd really appreciate some input from knowledgeable gun folk.
Thanks in advance,
J

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #2

Also I forgot to mention, I'm working on a budget so I'm trying to keep it under $1k and I'll be getting it from a gun show cause I don't want to leave a paper trail in case the law turns against us. So it would be awesome if y'all could put a price range with your recommendations. Thanks again,
J

Old 02-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #3

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

I didn't know you had to baby an AR. We have ALWAYS beat the crap out of the ones in the patrol cars without an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 02-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #4

Liked 2548 Times on 1653 Posts

Get a Ruger mini 14(223) or mini 30(7.62-39) , they are generally more accurate than an AK, and are less prone to jamming (compared to an ar) when your bear drops it in the mud. I see them for about 550-600 at my local gun show in Lima, Ohio. That leaves plenty of green left for a case of ammo, scope, bipod, coonskin cap and moccassins.
Watch out for skunks!

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 02-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Go with a AR you'll be pleased

Combat Corespondent

Old 02-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5915 Times on 3087 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Not sure who has the mythical ar15 that only works when the sun is shining and hasnt a spot of dirt on it. My ar15's run through mud dirt water sleet snow rain. My colt sp1 ive worn two barrels out with has never had a fail to feed fail to fire since i bought it in 1986.

My issue m16a1 in basic training i have no idea how many thousands of hands used it never missed a beat. My issue m16a2 had no problems. I was the unit armorer and i honestly dont remember a single malfunction with any of our unit's issued m16s.

If i had to pick the most reliable dependable if all things go to hell rifle... hands down a good quality ar15 without question.

If your into prepping get training. Just the possession of a firearm doesnt mean ability to deploy it in a tactical environment.

Learn to build fires under poor conditions without matches or magnesium fire starters. Firearms are low on the list when it comes to being ready. They are fun but being able to skin game animals use a longbow or recurve bow for hunting, being able to catch fish and clean them. Those are skills far more important than firearms.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Mdrums Likes This 
Old 02-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Not sure who has the mythical ar15 that only works when the sun is shining and hasnt a spot of dirt on it. My ar15's run through mud dirt water sleet snow rain. My colt sp1 ive worn two barrels out with has never had a fail to feed fail to fire since i bought it in 1986.

My issue m16a1 in basic training i have no idea how many thousands of hands used it never missed a beat. My issue m16a2 had no problems. I was the unit armorer and i honestly dont remember a single malfunction with any of our unit's issued m16s.

If i had to pick the most reliable dependable if all things go to hell rifle... hands down a good quality ar15 without question.

If your into prepping get training. Just the possession of a firearm doesnt mean ability to deploy it in a tactical environment.

Learn to build fires under poor conditions without matches or magnesium fire starters. Firearms are low on the list when it comes to being ready. They are fun but being able to skin game animals use a longbow or recurve bow for hunting, being able to catch fish and clean them. Those are skills far more important than firearms.
You said it all sir,if I do have a feeding issue I know its on me either a wornout mag or I haven't cleaned it after a thousand rds when its packed full of carbon

Combat Corespondent

Old 02-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

JonM has posted some good information for you to consider. i agree with his assessment of the AR. they aren't used by our armed forces in the best of environments, and function as they were designed to. the AK would be a good choice too for the purposes you intend to use it for and can be just as reliable, again another weapon that can perform in any environment.

firearms are as JonM said a small part of preparations, important but a small part. what good is it if you kill something to eat, but have no knowledge of field dressing and skinning? none. you are going to go hungry. the best item in your inventory for preparations is your brain. that's the most important tool you have, use it.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies guys. JonM, you sound like you know what you're talking about with the AR's. Like I said, I wasn't sure how true that statement was. My dad has an AR and I love it. Very accurate up to 200 yards. And it's never jammed on us. I just didn't want to put too much trust into one gun without asking people like y'all.
As far as preparedness, I've been doing TONS of research. Just ordered several books on wilderness survival and primitive living skills. And Survivorman is my new favorite show :] I've been training with a slingshot, throwing knives, and axes to help ration ammo, and I've been training physically so my body can endure whatever stresses I may encounter. Weights, heavy bag, nunchucks (which you have to get tough to master), and off-trail running to name a few. Even got my 5 and 11 year olds training with the chucks and we'll start practicing survival techniques as soon as the books come.
Anyway, while I have your attention, what would you recommend for a side-arm? I'm leaning toward a 9mm because I'm used to firing my dad's. And this may be a stupid question, but can you get suppressors for those? Never know when you need to be quiet.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #10

Liked 2548 Times on 1653 Posts

I guess I shouldn't believe everything I hear about ars jamming when dirty. Mine never let me down, but I keep it clean. Forgive me, ar gods.

Feral cat waterboarder