What should I get M1 Vs Ar. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > What should I get M1 Vs Ar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 04:44 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

If you plan to shoot a lot price has to be a big factor.
You can buy 30-06 ammo from the CMP now for about .55 cents a round.
I reload for my AR .223 for about .25 cents a round.
I have a M1, M1A and AR. The AR is what I shoot most often. I have a .22 adaptor for it so I can shoot 22 LR for under 4 cents a round. I shoot 223 at the CMP matches.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:39 AM   #12

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

No one has asked you... "What do you want to do with the rifle?"

So I will as they are all different platforms......What are you going to use the rifle for?

Old 04-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #13

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp_man2003 View Post
I was looking into a new rifle and now I cant decide what i want to get. I have always loved the m1 although iv never shot one, but for the same price I could build a decent Ar. I'm not sure what way I want to go. Thought some insight from others would be nice. Let me know what ya think. Thanks Anthony
Apples and oranges, better to have both. If you can only swing one for now I'd make it the Garand. The darn thing will only go up in price and down in availability. You can always buy an AR in parts as the funds come together and then have fun building the gun yourself. If you are worried about being able to buy one in the future spend $150 for a good lower receiver so you'll be grandfathered in case anything STUPID happens...

Old 04-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #14

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It will be for target shooting primarily but I may do some hunting with either, and in a pinch may be for self defense. I have been in love with the garands since I was a kid, but I can see the practicality of an ar. Thats why I'm so torn on this one. I guess it will probably be the garand because I may not be able to get one in the future for the cmp prices. I'm also planning on reloading for either so that will save me a little in cost for ammo. Thanks Anthony

Old 04-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #15

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You seem to have figured it out all by yourself. Get the Garand, then the M14, then the AR, then.....Sorry, I got carried away!

Garands from the CMP area a good purchase. They are shooters and you support a great program.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #16

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes it is and a big plus for me is that I can drive up to the north store and pick it out my self. I almost bought a garand from Southern Ohio Gun. They have them right now for 429, but after reading a few comments about them I decided that I would spend a little more and hand pick my own rifle. I'm afraid that the north store might be to close to me and I'll develop an addiction to the garands. Thanks Anthony

Old 05-04-2010, 03:05 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1159 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 1181

I like M1s, whether the Garand, Carbine or M1A/M14. I qualified with the M14 and liked it but quickly warmed up to the M16 when I got a chance to try one in Vietnam.

Anyway, today the AR is more useful so I'd choose it for an all round rifle when things get bad. The others and the AK are nothing to sneeze at either and can be a good choice but for me the AR is King.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:05 PM   #18

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Dunerunner is right--M1 Garand (due to waning avalibility) then M1A/M14 and finally the AR. Both the M1 and the M1A are excellent rifles for hunting. The AR is less expensive to shoot and would also probably be your shtf gun.

Newest Threads