What should I get M1 Vs Ar.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion >

What should I get M1 Vs Ar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default What should I get M1 Vs Ar.

I was looking into a new rifle and now I cant decide what i want to get. I have always loved the m1 although iv never shot one, but for the same price I could build a decent Ar. I'm not sure what way I want to go. Thought some insight from others would be nice. Let me know what ya think. Thanks Anthony

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

An M1 is a Garand. Do you mean M1A? If so, my answer is the M1A. But that's just because I'm old and personally don't care for the AR platform. Many here will disagree with me.

The M1A gives you a lot more stopping power, but the ammunition costs more. Both the rifle and ammunition are considerably heavier to lug around. All that said, I still prefer the M1A.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #3

I like the AR platform. I would go with the AR. Much lighter shorter and very versitile.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I ment an M1 Garand. They were actual only called M1's the garand tag came a little later from my understanding. But im debating between a Cmp garand or an Ar build. Thanks Anthony

Old 04-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have a '43 Springfield M1 and I love it. It's heavy, but it's a great shooting and accurate rifle. I also have a sentimental attachment to the .30-06 round.

There's folks here that have built and some who are building AR's. They're two extremely different firearms. Building an AR will improve your skills. Having an M1 will improve your sense of history.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #6

I personally like the AK. And its alot cheaper and more fun to shoot. Thats what I own and love to shoot.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

You can get an AR later, always choose the Garand when you can. The price doesn't go down, so get it first.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #8

I'd take an m1 garand just because I like antiques. Shoots a nice 30-06 and you can polish the wooden finish up nicely.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7095 Times on 3770 Posts
Likes Given: 541

my preference has always been the AR platform. you can get an AR in a wide variety of calibers. parts are easy to get. they are very accurate. magazines are easy to get and widely available. i used to have an m1a and mi garand. both are too heavy and clunky. i find the romance of them higher than the practicality.

just my opinion

Old 04-21-2010, 12:35 AM   #10

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

While I do like the AR if I was choosing between the two I'd go with the M1 simply for the fact as stated they are not going to get any cheaper. I have a lot of love for old battle rifles and the M1 is a great piece of history that you can take out and have a lot of fun with. the 30 06 round packs a hell of a wallop and can be accurate for days! I don't see the AR going anywhere and the prices have calmed down on those enough now where you can look around for what you really want your AR to be like and not have to worry too much that the price or availability is going to change any time soon.

I've got AR's, AK's,SKS's, 30 carbines, Lever rifles and 22 plinkers. But my long gun collection will never be near complete until I put an M1 in it.

Newest Threads