Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > What kind of semi-auto "assault rifles" are good to purchase for the regular joe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 962 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 404

As JonM suggested, you may want to look into a quality semi-automatic pistol. Those tend to be a lot more useful for real civilian self defense versus the fantasy lots of people have of using their AR-15 or AK variant for self defense.

While the prices have increased by 50% or more, I see that a number of brand new Glock and SIG pistols are available from places like GunBroker and GunsAmerica.

If you want a semi-auto, I'd look into picking one of those up first if you don't already own one.

Personally, I've had the opportunity to get re-acquainted with some of my older hardware. Namely, .357 Magnum Colt revolvers and a .30-06 Remington rifle.

The ammo for those two guns is still available at pre-panic prices and although nominally more expensive than 9MM and 5.56MM, if you can't buy ammo, then the gun is a really expensive club.

If you want to "be defiant", let's start with not providing the Federal government with any more money to spend. I'm not sure about you, but our taxes have increased $400 per month between my wife and I.

Let's work on defunding the Obamacare BS and the hundreds of billions wasted on "homeland security" and pointless wars of attrition. Let's keep the administration busy defending their ruinous pet spending programs so that way they won't have the time or energy to try to disarm us.

The "terrorists" kill perhaps a few thousand people a year across the globe and we spend between 100 and 200 billion dollars attempting to "combat" them. Heart disease kills over 400,000 Americans every year and we spend around 2 billion in research on the disease. I think it's high time we "show our defiance" by getting rid of "securitypiece theater" at all the airports and using the common sense "racist" profiling that the Israelis have successfully used at their airports for decades. I'm far more afraid of an infection from a doctor's necktie killing me than I am of terrorists killing me.

When the military can manage to eradicate a small lot of illiterate dope smoking peasants who possess nothing more than automatic rifles, RPG's, and IED's, then I'll start to fear my own government. Until that time, why worry when Uncle Sam's finest can't accomplish that task? What chance do you think they have over here where everyone and their dog has a rifle?

Last edited by kbd512; 01-18-2013 at 04:54 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1391 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZero View Post
Any comments on the items listed on this page?

http://www.cabelas.com/semi-automatic.shtml
They all are double the price they were a year or so ago. I would look elsewhere Cabelas is always more expensive than other vendors.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #23

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I don't think they're much higher than they were a year ago, but that goes to show you, don't buy from stores like Cabelas, if you look around you should be able to find an LGS with far better prices

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-20-2013, 06:03 AM   #24

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I have a semi auto del-ton sporting rifle, ruger mini-14, hi-point 9mm, two ruger 10/22's and a mossberg plinkster. They are all good guns that are fun too shoot but if it was gonna be my first semi auto rifle/carbine I would say get a 223/5.56 in whatever flavor you like.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #25

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

People need to quit falling into that trap of calling them "assault rifles". The media is using this phrase to cast firearms in a bad light and turn the public against them. The media used to use AK-47s as the prime example of the bad assault rifle, and now it is the AR-15. Just about every single day we see the image of an AR-15 in the news, and the commentary with it is not very nice. This is nothing more than plain old-fashioned propaganda.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #26

I agree blue turf. It is as if the media is using fear and mass hysteria to convince the public that owning a firearm is as tabu a subject as pro life or pro abortion. Makes me wish the politicians and media reporters mothers would have aborted.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 783 Times on 478 Posts
Likes Given: 160

you're going to pay huge premium right now buying the modern sport rifle.

Send some of that premium to NRA and wait for the panic buying to resolve itself.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:24 AM   #28
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20055 Times on 11407 Posts
Likes Given: 50598

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
you're going to pay huge premium right now buying the modern sport rifle.

Send some of that premium to NRA and wait for the panic buying to resolve itself.
PartDeux, that's a pretty good idea! i like that. very good suggestion!

Old 02-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #29

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Wait for prices to drop and for the surplus to hit so things will be cheap. In the meantime do some research, there's a ton of info on this forum about a ton of different guns, just be ready to sift through the BS. YouTube is also your friend there's a million videos on a million different guns.

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-16-2013, 01:59 AM   #30

Liked 306 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNARG View Post
Wait for prices to drop and for the surplus to hit so things will be cheap. In the meantime do some research, there's a ton of info on this forum about a ton of different guns, just be ready to sift through the BS. YouTube is also your friend there's a million videos on a million different guns.
Just looking for an opinion, how long do you all think it will take for the market to cool down? I bought my first 1000 rounds of 5.56 for $240 now it's going for $1 a round. My AR was just over 1k now there's a six month backorder on them and the price has jumped 50%.
Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper; in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat.

Letter to Alice Dalgliesh, the editor who was censoring his manuscript for Red Planet, regarding gun control registration and control Published in 1949