What kind of semi-auto "assault rifles" are good to purchase for the regular joe? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > What kind of semi-auto "assault rifles" are good to purchase for the regular joe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have really enjoyed my SKS; though it doesn't come with the "evil" detachable magazines, they can be added. Mine has a bayonet for cooking what you shoot over an open fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZero View Post
That Mini 14 Ranch with a wood stock looks pretty great. Thanks for the tip.
Get it in stainless like the old A-Team had for a bit (may have been mini 30's).
Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #12

Liked 226 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Quote:
.357 Mag would be fun, but I suppose 9mm would be the closest moderate cost ammo?
I've never seen a 357 semi auto carbine, not to say they don't exist

Quote:
Any comments on the items listed on this page?

http://www.cabelas.com/semi-automatic.shtml
I'd say you need to decide what exactly it is you are after, that page is a random mix of different platforms of semi auto rifle from Hipoint carbine to M1a to AR platform to some basic semi auto deer rifles, you need to decide what you want and why you want it, nobody here can recommend a rifle for you without knowing a price point and your intended use. I say do some research on the different platforms out there and their pros and cons, then decide between a couple options and come looking for points of view on those.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #13

It isn't an assault rifle if it isn't full auto, that is legal and webster's definition.

Last edited by RNMKR_Actual01; 01-18-2013 at 12:28 AM.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:41 AM   #14

Liked 2445 Times on 1432 Posts
Likes Given: 558

AK clone. They piss a lot if people off just looking at them. That would be my choice for an expression if defiance.

ARs are more ergonomic and the modularity makes them easy to learn to work in yourself and modify. Also easy to have extra uppers for different shooting roles, like target, bench, hunting, etc. so they make a good practical platform in addition to being inflammatory to the sensitive and unknowledgable.
TNARG Likes This 
Old 01-18-2013, 01:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
I have really enjoyed my SKS; though it doesn't come with the "evil" detachable magazines, they can be added. Mine has a bayonet for cooking what you shoot over an open fire.

Get it in stainless like the old A-Team had for a bit (may have been mini 30's).
SKS is a good idea for a cheep weapon and shoots good for what it is .

Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 357 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Ya know, my bullsh** filter is getting full on this "assault weapon" nonsense. My 1964 Rem 7400 in .280 with a 10 rounder can eat the lunch on an AR15 side by side with the same load box but....it's a deeeeeeer rifle. "AR15 Assault rifle"...that's the dumbest GD thing I ever heard of.....but then again, I'm old, out of touch, shouldn't own big guns, small penis, and all that other BS the anti boom stick people are saying.

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977
People Like This 
Old 01-18-2013, 02:29 AM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22220 Times on 12454 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

what amazes me is this. another person buying into the panic. didn't have any need for one last month, but now the fear they are going to be banned, now they want one? hmmmmm......if you didn't need or want one before you thought they might be banned or even before any talk about them possibly being banned, why all of a sudden the desire now?

i'm sorry and i may be alone with my opinions, but i don't see defiance but buying into the ongoing stupidity.
People Like This 
Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 357 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Subzero....I agree with axxe55. Sit on your wallet for awhile and don't play into the frenzy. It's hard to impossible to find ammo for those rifles in the spotlight now too. Just my thoughts...

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-18-2013, 02:54 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6618 Times on 3516 Posts
Likes Given: 490

right now no one is focusing on semi auto pistols and a wide variety along with their magazines and ammo are readily available. i would focus on looking in that direction as those are on the libretard chopping block just the same as the rifles.

if you get lucky and find a colt/bcm at a shop in the 1000-1300$ mark snap it up. but i would work on filling out the pistol side of the collection atm... while you can.

sooner or later the panicking sheeple will figure out the dems arent going to ignore those and the rush will be on.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
KimberFan Likes This 
Old 01-18-2013, 03:07 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7201 Times on 3986 Posts
Likes Given: 6952

Study the AR-15 forum and when the panic is over and the prices come dowm, buy a quality AR.

I've owned 3 Mini 14s over the years, and I could never, in good conscience, recommend that gun to anyone.

AK and SKS are fun, but the AR-15 stands head and shoulders over them.

But whatever you do, don't buy now and pay ridiculous prices. Wait it out.

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

People Like This