Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   What kind of semi-auto "assault rifles" are good to purchase for the regular joe? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/what-kind-semi-auto-assault-rifles-good-purchase-regular-joe-81658/)

SubZero 01-17-2013 09:05 PM

What kind of semi-auto "assault rifles" are good to purchase for the regular joe?
 
Believe it or not, all this talk of banning weapons has me wanting to go out and buy one just to be defiant, even though I have no idea about the specifics of their use and maintenance. I can learn. :)

So I wanted to ask - what semi-auto rifles may be good for a regular joe like me to look at when considering a purchase? a 9mm seems to be sticking in my mind for some reason.

Currently, I own 6 firearms:

Two Taurus .38 Special / .357 revolvers
Two Henry Lever Actions (a .22 and a .38 Special / .357)
Two long rifles (Tikka T3 300WSM and Remington 700 270)

I like that my Big Boy Lever Action uses the same ammo as my revolvers. Don't know if these semi-auto "assault rifles" use the same ammo as pistols / revolvers do, but I suppose that would be cool if they do.

Anyway, looking forward to your replies. Thank you.

rjd3282 01-17-2013 09:26 PM

First thing you can do is stop calling them assualt rifles.

SubZero 01-17-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjd3282 (Post 1098198)
First thing you can do is stop calling them assualt rifles.

That's why I put the phrase in quotes.

Any helpful suggestions beyond nit-picking?

hiwall 01-17-2013 09:40 PM

Get a Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30. They look more like a regular rifle.

ctshooter 01-17-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubZero

That's why I put the phrase in quotes.

Any helpful suggestions beyond nit-picking?

It isn't not picking. The last thing we need is pro 2a folks using the same uneducated terms that the anti crowd is using.

John_Deer 01-17-2013 09:42 PM

This is just helpful advice. Show your defiance after the current panic is over. Congress can't order lunch without a debate. They are not going to pass any bans or gun laws. If you have nothing to fear from a thorough background check there is no reason to buy a gun right now. I just sold a gun I paid $400 three years ago for $2000. If you are willing to over pay like that be defiant.

SubZero 01-17-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall (Post 1098212)
Get a Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30. They look more like a regular rifle.

That Mini 14 Ranch with a wood stock looks pretty great. Thanks for the tip.

blucoondawg 01-17-2013 09:56 PM

There is a whole world out there when it comes to semi auto sporting rifles/pistol caliber carbines. It is hard to make a suggestion without knowing what you are looking for or what you are willing to spend, I second John Deer's advice of not buying anything right now, prices are horrible unless you are lucky and able to get something from a big box store which hasn't raised prices or pick up something used from someone not looking to rake you over the coals. There are many different models out there, do a google search for 9mm carbine if that is the round you want. They are available in the AR platform and there are some cheaper ones like HiPoint and Keltec also has one.

SubZero 01-17-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blucoondawg (Post 1098240)
There is a whole world out there when it comes to semi auto sporting rifles/pistol caliber carbines. It is hard to make a suggestion without knowing what you are looking for or what you are willing to spend, I second John Deer's advice of not buying anything right now, prices are horrible unless you are lucky and able to get something from a big box store which hasn't raised prices or pick up something used from someone not looking to rake you over the coals. There are many different models out there, do a google search for 9mm carbine if that is the round you want. They are available in the AR platform and there are some cheaper ones like HiPoint and Keltec also has one.

.357 Mag would be fun, but I suppose 9mm would be the closest moderate cost ammo?

SubZero 01-17-2013 10:26 PM

Any comments on the items listed on this page?

http://www.cabelas.com/semi-automatic.shtml


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:15 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.