What defines carbine?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > What defines carbine?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 04:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yunus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: |,Maryland
Posts: 4,938
Liked 1217 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 387

Default What defines carbine?

Looking at what I consider a carbine length AR and a friend brings up the possibility of a pistol caliber carbine such as the Berretta Storm or the TDI KRISS Super V (I don't even think it's legal in Maryland) but I'm wondering how do you define a carbine? Would a short barrel AR and a Storm be a carbine or would you limit it to the type of caliber or what. Also I would be interested in opinions on pistol caliber carbines below 200 yards. I'm looking for Milk jug accuracy at 200 yards on my next firearms purchase and I'm now torn between an AR or a pistol caliber carbine. I feel both have their advantages (price vs accuracy etc...)but would like to hear from anyone with experience on the pistol calibers, I've read more reviews than I can count on AR's I know its a solid platform that can be customized almost without limits.

__________________

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Yunus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 07-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
skullcrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio,Ohio
Posts: 10,949
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Carbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!


Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!
skullcrusher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:24 AM   #3
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 10,332
Liked 2995 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Default

Basicaly a shorter version of a rifle. The definitation of "Rifle" has evolved over the years. An M-16 A2 is shorter than many WWII carbines, yet it is a rifle.

In AR-15 parlance, a rifle has a full length gas tube. A carbine has a shorter gas tube.

__________________

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

robocop10mm is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:14 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8
Default

In every instance that I have ever seen, carbine has always just meant the shorter, more "tactical" version. I beleive the carbine rifles are generally used for urban warfare and what not. It is kind of confusing though, since they make the M4 carbine, and the M4 is a shorter version of an M16 I beleive. So that means the M4 carbine is a MUCH shoter version of the classic M16 then?
__________________
favorite hobbies: shooting my .270 and playing airsoft.
airsoft sniper rifles rule!

__________________
mattb348 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 6,262
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Looking at what I consider a carbine length AR and a friend brings up the possibility of a pistol caliber carbine such as the Berretta Storm or the TDI KRISS Super V (I don't even think it's legal in Maryland) but I'm wondering how do you define a carbine? Would a short barrel AR and a Storm be a carbine or would you limit it to the type of caliber or what. Also I would be interested in opinions on pistol caliber carbines below 200 yards. I'm looking for Milk jug accuracy at 200 yards on my next firearms purchase and I'm now torn between an AR or a pistol caliber carbine. I feel both have their advantages (price vs accuracy etc...)but would like to hear from anyone with experience on the pistol calibers, I've read more reviews than I can count on AR's I know its a solid platform that can be customized almost without limits.

Take a look at the range report on the 4095 hi-points.
__________________
Gojubrian is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yunus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: |,Maryland
Posts: 4,938
Liked 1217 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 387

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Take a look at the range report on the 4095 hi-points.
I did last evening, I figure that would meet my needs or get close and wow is it cheap.
Thanks!
__________________

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Yunus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 10,332
Liked 2995 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb348 View Post
In every instance that I have ever seen, carbine has always just meant the shorter, more "tactical" version. I beleive the carbine rifles are generally used for urban warfare and what not. It is kind of confusing though, since they make the M4 carbine, and the M4 is a shorter version of an M16 I beleive. So that means the M4 carbine is a MUCH shoter version of the classic M16 then?
__________________
favorite hobbies: shooting my .270 and playing airsoft.
airsoft sniper rifles rule!
The M-4 "carbine" is the M-4, period. There is no carbine version of the M-4. The M-4 IS the carbine version of the M-16.
__________________

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

robocop10mm is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:55 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The M-4 "carbine" is the M-4, period. There is no carbine version of the M-4. The M-4 IS the carbine version of the M-16.
Hey thanks for clearing this up for me. I have actually been wondering about this for awhile now. I thought they looked the same (the M4 and the M4 "carbine"). I got confused because some people call it the M4 Carbine. I wish they would just call it the M16 carbine instead
__________________
favorite hobbies: shooting my .270 and playing airsoft.
airsoft sniper rifles rule!
__________________
mattb348 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:41 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jeepcreep927's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Newport,Vermont
Posts: 1,110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb348 View Post
Hey thanks for clearing this up for me. I have actually been wondering about this for awhile now. I thought they looked the same (the M4 and the M4 "carbine"). I got confused because some people call it the M4 Carbine. I wish they would just call it the M16 carbine instead
__________________
favorite hobbies: shooting my .270 and playing airsoft.
airsoft sniper rifles rule!
The "carbine" version of the original M16 is the XM177E2. So if there is already a "carbine" version of the M16, then there needs to be a new model name for a new "carbine", hence the M4 designation. Then of course, when a simple change like a flat top, change in fire control group, barrel length, barrel contour or rail system is added, it gets a new name, M16A1, M16A2, M16A3, M4, M4A1 etc. Makes my head hurt.
__________________

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

jeepcreep927 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
matt g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,885
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

*shakes head, walks off*

__________________

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

matt g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
M1 ROCKOLA carbine and Paratrooper carbine matts General Rifle Discussion 3 06-10-2009 05:06 PM
Guess how DHS defines who is a terrorist now? Bigcountry02 Politics, Religion and Controversy 5 05-03-2009 10:18 PM
45 acp Carbine herp_man2003 Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 13 10-01-2008 09:09 PM
carbine Felix AR-15 Discussion 1 10-12-2007 07:11 PM