Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   What defines carbine? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/what-defines-carbine-15428/)

Yunus 07-05-2009 03:57 AM

What defines carbine?

Looking at what I consider a carbine length AR and a friend brings up the possibility of a pistol caliber carbine such as the Berretta Storm or the TDI KRISS Super V (I don't even think it's legal in Maryland) but I'm wondering how do you define a carbine? Would a short barrel AR and a Storm be a carbine or would you limit it to the type of caliber or what. Also I would be interested in opinions on pistol caliber carbines below 200 yards. I'm looking for Milk jug accuracy at 200 yards on my next firearms purchase and I'm now torn between an AR or a pistol caliber carbine. I feel both have their advantages (price vs accuracy etc...)but would like to hear from anyone with experience on the pistol calibers, I've read more reviews than I can count on AR's I know its a solid platform that can be customized almost without limits.

skullcrusher 07-05-2009 03:12 PM

Carbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

robocop10mm 07-06-2009 02:24 AM

Basicaly a shorter version of a rifle. The definitation of "Rifle" has evolved over the years. An M-16 A2 is shorter than many WWII carbines, yet it is a rifle.

In AR-15 parlance, a rifle has a full length gas tube. A carbine has a shorter gas tube.

mattb348 07-06-2009 04:14 AM

In every instance that I have ever seen, carbine has always just meant the shorter, more "tactical" version. I beleive the carbine rifles are generally used for urban warfare and what not. It is kind of confusing though, since they make the M4 carbine, and the M4 is a shorter version of an M16 I beleive. So that means the M4 carbine is a MUCH shoter version of the classic M16 then?

Gojubrian 07-06-2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yunus (Post 125131)
Looking at what I consider a carbine length AR and a friend brings up the possibility of a pistol caliber carbine such as the Berretta Storm or the TDI KRISS Super V (I don't even think it's legal in Maryland) but I'm wondering how do you define a carbine? Would a short barrel AR and a Storm be a carbine or would you limit it to the type of caliber or what. Also I would be interested in opinions on pistol caliber carbines below 200 yards. I'm looking for Milk jug accuracy at 200 yards on my next firearms purchase and I'm now torn between an AR or a pistol caliber carbine. I feel both have their advantages (price vs accuracy etc...)but would like to hear from anyone with experience on the pistol calibers, I've read more reviews than I can count on AR's I know its a solid platform that can be customized almost without limits.

Take a look at the range report on the 4095 hi-points. :)

Yunus 07-06-2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojubrian (Post 125501)
Take a look at the range report on the 4095 hi-points. :)

I did last evening, I figure that would meet my needs or get close and wow is it cheap.
Thanks!

robocop10mm 07-06-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattb348 (Post 125477)
In every instance that I have ever seen, carbine has always just meant the shorter, more "tactical" version. I beleive the carbine rifles are generally used for urban warfare and what not. It is kind of confusing though, since they make the M4 carbine, and the M4 is a shorter version of an M16 I beleive. So that means the M4 carbine is a MUCH shoter version of the classic M16 then?

The M-4 "carbine" is the M-4, period. There is no carbine version of the M-4. The M-4 IS the carbine version of the M-16.

mattb348 07-07-2009 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 125526)
The M-4 "carbine" is the M-4, period. There is no carbine version of the M-4. The M-4 IS the carbine version of the M-16.

Hey thanks for clearing this up for me. I have actually been wondering about this for awhile now. I thought they looked the same (the M4 and the M4 "carbine"). I got confused because some people call it the M4 Carbine. I wish they would just call it the M16 carbine instead :)

jeepcreep927 07-07-2009 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattb348 (Post 125810)
Hey thanks for clearing this up for me. I have actually been wondering about this for awhile now. I thought they looked the same (the M4 and the M4 "carbine"). I got confused because some people call it the M4 Carbine. I wish they would just call it the M16 carbine instead :)

The "carbine" version of the original M16 is the XM177E2. So if there is already a "carbine" version of the M16, then there needs to be a new model name for a new "carbine", hence the M4 designation. Then of course, when a simple change like a flat top, change in fire control group, barrel length, barrel contour or rail system is added, it gets a new name, M16A1, M16A2, M16A3, M4, M4A1 etc. Makes my head hurt.

matt g 07-07-2009 04:08 PM

*shakes head, walks off*