Velocity Question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Velocity Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2010, 06:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Velocity Question

Forgive me for what may be a stupid question but I have no experience with autoloaders so you'll have to put up with my ignorance!

Does the cycling system on a semi-automatic firearm rob the bullet of velocity when compared to the same load being fired out of a bolt gun?? If so is there any noticable difference in on-target bullet performance or tragectory?

I would have thought that seeing as though some of the energy that usually propels the bullet out of the barrrel now cycles the action to prepare for the next shot, the bullet would leave the barrel noticable slower. Or is the reloading action so effficient that there is negligable velocity difference between semi's and bolt guns?

Thanks for your help, I wish I had access to an AR, SKS et al to find out for myself, but unfortunately I don't so you guys are my next best option!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No, there's no loss of velocity. In a semi-automatic, the bullet is long gone by the time the action begins to move.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2767 Times on 1446 Posts
Likes Given: 241

In a gas operated rifle, there is a slight loss of pressure through the gas port. This will lead to a slightly lower velocity. The loss will not be significant. Barrel length and internal barrel finish will likely account for more difference.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-30-2010, 01:57 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

there is a loss yes
it does affect the accuracy
noticeable would have alot of factors that were depending on....
grain of the bullet, type of powder (ball or stick), length of the barrel, type of the rifling, and etc..
i think to best research this topic yourself i would look at 7.62nato (.308 win) because of the diverseness of the round as well as the ballastic info that is available.