value of 1920's tommy gun? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > value of 1920's tommy gun?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3177 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 322

My agency has a 1921/28 overstamp US Navy model that belonged to the Sheriff who served from 1933-1939. It appears he loaned it to the US war dept in 41/42 after engraving his name on it. After the war, it was given back to us as he had passed away. As he never "registered" it under NFA and no one subsequent to that bothered to do so, it is non-transferrable. According to the BATFE, as long as it is in the hands of a LE agency, it is fine. If we were to turn it over to them, it would undoubtedly be destroyed. I have lobbied heavily to keep it in house as i am the only one that knows how to maintain it (I have the manual ). I do get to play with it and demo it on occasion. Of course this is all officially sanctioned use.

I have been told by a class III dealer that if it were transferrable, he would give us $20 K for it (and that was 15 years ago). I figure it would be worth $35 K + today.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
My agency has a 1921/28 overstamp US Navy model that belonged to the Sheriff who served from 1933-1939. It appears he loaned it to the US war dept in 41/42 after engraving his name on it. After the war, it was given back to us as he had passed away. As he never "registered" it under NFA and no one subsequent to that bothered to do so, it is non-transferrable. According to the BATFE, as long as it is in the hands of a LE agency, it is fine. If we were to turn it over to them, it would undoubtedly be destroyed. I have lobbied heavily to keep it in house as i am the only one that knows how to maintain it (I have the manual ). I do get to play with it and demo it on occasion. Of course this is all officially sanctioned use.

I have been told by a class III dealer that if it were transferrable, he would give us $20 K for it (and that was 15 years ago). I figure it would be worth $35 K + today.
I wonder if the extra value for the gun comes from the unique story of the sheriff loaning it to the war effort? Because current values for a 1928 are $15-25k... I know collectors always look for the unique and interesting pieces, and tying a good story to a firearm can raise the price some.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:33 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3177 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 322

Absolutely. Historical firearms are always more valuable. Patton's Model 27 Smith is worth a BUNCH more than a typical N-frame Smith revolver.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #24

I was reading this thread, a very interesting one. Thought I might pass on the details of this Thompson coming up in auction this Saturday in Dublin, Ireland this Saturday. About as early as you will ever find, serial number 142 !!! with a great story behind it. Enjoy the read !

From the auctioneers website, Whytes irish art auctions online bidding

1921: An extremely rare low numbered Thompson Submachine Gun, No. 142, donated to the Cork Brigade, IRA in 1921 by an Irish American Sheriff "Early 1921 model Thompson submachine gun, one of a small number imported and used by the IRA during the War of Independence. The receiver is marked "Model 1921" with the serial number "142", Thompson markings and five line patent dates, along with inspector’s mark directly behind the ejection port. With the rare and desirable early style of finned barrel (to aid in cooling when fired in a full-automatic mode), the adjustable Lyman tangent rear sight with sight protectors that graduates from 100 to 600 yards, walnut vertical foregrip and detachable walnut buttstock. The Thompson Gun began production with serial number 1; the first 40 were all prototypes, making number 41 the first gun to be sold. The serial number of this particular gun is 142, the one hundred and second Thompson Gun to be sold and is very rare with such a low three digit serial number. It is estimated that somewhere in the region of 15,000 sets of the 1921 model parts were produced, with the majority of those being used to produce the later M1928A1 model of the weapon making this complete 1921 model extremely scarce. Colt records show that this gun, numbered “142” along with serial number “143” were dispatched by the Colt Company to a Mr M. Sheehan of San Mateo, California. Sheehan was in fact Sheriff Michael Sheehan, a prominent sheriff based in the San Mateo district of San Francisco. Sheehan was born in Mountcollins, County Limerick on 2 February 1861, had emigrated to the United States with his brother in the 1880s and became Sheriff of San Mateo in 1916. He was a member of numerous Catholic organisations including the Knights of Columbus and lived for some time in Tilman Street which was only three blocks from the address the guns were delivered to, at 316 B Street, which was a US Post Office in 1921. The San Mateo sheriff`s office never ordered Thompson Guns during the 1920s so there is no possibility that the weapons were for official use. In many ways the new gun was considered to be ideal for guerrilla warfare with its rapid fire of high calibre bullets and a removable stock: it packed a powerful punch whilst also being easy to conceal. The IRA was destined to become one of the first customers for the new machine-gun, after Michael Collins was contacted by the financier Thomas Fortune Ryan. With a high price of $225 per gun the IRA placed an order for 653 weapons, becoming Colt`s only customers at this time. The guns were to be sent to Ireland in May 1921 through New York but US Customs impounded 495 of them leaving only 158 which were eventually smuggled to Ireland. The first three arrived in Dublin in May 1921 and were test fired a few days later by Tom Barry at a meeting attended by Michael Collins and Richard Mulcahy. The IRA were also the first in the world to use the machine-gun in combat, when a group led by Oscar Traynor, used one in an ambush against members of the Royal West Kent Regiment near Drumcondra, County Dublin. The Thompson or “Tommy Gun” later went onto achieve world fame when it was used by both law enforcement and criminal gangs during the era of prohibition in the United States making it one of the most iconic weapons ever produced. It is not clear exactly how the gun was brought into Ireland but it is known that Sheriff Sheehan did make trips during this period to Ireland returning to San Francisco from Queenstown (Cobh) Co. Cork via New York"

Start Price €9000

Old 12-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #25

Default Tommy Gun from Bonnie & Clyde now available for sale

We are selling the Tommy Gun taken from Bonnie & Clyde. For more information please visit our web site at: Bonnie and Clyde Historic Firearm Auction

Old 12-08-2011, 07:00 AM   #26

Liked 57 Times on 32 Posts

The gun broker guy (op) never went to the introduction thread after he was asked to and said he would. Abusing the site -tisk tisk- :/

Old 12-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #27
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8447 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 11003

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMayo View Post
We are selling the Tommy Gun taken from Bonnie & Clyde. For more information please visit our web site at: Bonnie and Clyde Historic Firearm Auction
I want this.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #28

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMayo View Post
If the provenance proves out, my guess is this will hit $150K to $200K. Not that I beleive in ghosts, but this would be eerie to have in the house.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #29
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2472 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 879

A couple years ago, Rock Island Auction sold one that was found in the basement of the Rock Island Court House for over $80,000. It had stuck on a shelf and forgot about since the 1920's and was in pristine condition. It didn't have any particular history however.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 12-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #30

Liked 57 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA
About 5 years ago, the Rock Island County Sheriff found a completely original Thompson in their basement that had been there since about 1928 (since the time of the notorious George Looney of "Road to Perdition" fame).

IIRC, it went at auction north of $30,000.
You already told us that friend lol did you forget?

Closed Thread

Tags
tommy gun thompson