value of 1920's tommy gun? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > value of 1920's tommy gun?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 05:40 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

wow, thanks. I'll keep this handy.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:43 AM   #12

yeah, I was looking for something around 10-15k. Looks like I'll be paying about that.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:45 AM   #13

yeah, I guess I can understand the limits. something like this can really do some damage. I'm clean, fortunately.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #14

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
If you can find one of the Originals you better have deep pockets. then you'll be strip searched. by the U S Gumbment. three months to a year to aquire a permit. Thats if they find you are sane enough to own one. $200 a year for the permit. Where the Sub goes so does the paper work and permit. you cannot seperate the two at any time. If you're caught with the gun an no papers they take your sub and you go to jail. If your lucky the price will start at $7,ooo if you're lucky. Now Back To Introductions. Wills in da swamp in La. ONE SHOT KILL!!!!!!!!Have a Nice Day
It's not nearly that bad. It takes about 8 weeks for the ATF to process your paperwork. You will need fingerprints and your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer to sign off on it before submitting. The $200 tax stamp is paid once, NOT yearly, and all they do is run a background check based on ID and fingerprints. If you are clean they give you your paperwork. You then make a copy of the paperwok and put it in the gun case in case anyone ever asks to see it. No one has EVER asked me for it... From then on you have to notify the ATF when you move so they can keep track of the gun. Actually pretty darn simple and the ATF guys are very nice and helpful not the dark vicious ogers most folks that have never dealt with them make them out to be.

BTW these types of guns are fantastic investments that will only continue going up in value. Have fun shopping.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #15

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbroker View Post
I'll drop by later, but can you answer my question?
Fair is fair...now where's our Introduction?

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Fair is fair...now where's our Introduction?

Jack
See what money does. You forget who you friends are! Don't get mad GETEVEN!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #17
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2472 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 879

About 5 years ago, the Rock Island County Sheriff found a completely original Thompson in their basement that had been there since about 1928 (since the time of the notorious George Looney of "Road to Perdition" fame).

IIRC, it went at auction north of $30,000.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:12 AM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
About 5 years ago, the Rock Island County Sheriff found a completely original Thompson in their basement that had been there since about 1928 (since the time of the notorious George Looney of "Road to Perdition" fame).

IIRC, it went at auction north of $30,000.
This story is hard to believe, since it would've had to be registered before 1986 to still be legal. Maybe it was a 1927, instead? There are stories that pop up every now and then about old 1928's that were hidden in basements being found.

The problem is that all the old full autos had to be registered and tax stamped (the paperwork and $200 stamp that others have mentioned already) by a certain date with the atf years ago. There is no grandfather law for them, unfortunately. Now, either it was found in the early 1980's and went up for auction or it is not a full auto tommy.

I really want one too, by the way. I spent several months researching them and realized that I'll have to wait several more years before I can even think about affording one. At an average price of $15,000 plus taxes, it is an expensive toy.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #19
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2472 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
This story is hard to believe, since it would've had to be registered before 1986 to still be legal. Maybe it was a 1927, instead? There are stories that pop up every now and then about old 1928's that were hidden in basements being found.

The problem is that all the old full autos had to be registered and tax stamped (the paperwork and $200 stamp that others have mentioned already) by a certain date with the atf years ago. There is no grandfather law for them, unfortunately. Now, either it was found in the early 1980's and went up for auction or it is not a full auto tommy.

I really want one too, by the way. I spent several months researching them and realized that I'll have to wait several more years before I can even think about affording one. At an average price of $15,000 plus taxes, it is an expensive toy.
This encouraged me to do a news search at the Moline Dispatch (the local paper). The event happened in late 2005, early 2006. I can't get at the whole story because the archive requires one to be a subscriber to read the entire article. But what you can read from the snippets is even more astounding. The gun sold at auction for more than $80,000.

Here is the announcement of the auction results from the Rock Island Auction Company... PDF.

Last edited by ScottA; 05-04-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
This encouraged me to do a news search at the Moline Dispatch (the local paper). The event happened in late 2005, early 2006. I can't get at the whole story because the archive requires one to be a subscriber to read the entire article. But what you can read from the snippets is even more astounding. The gun sold at auction for more than $80,000.

Here is the announcement of the auction results from the Rock Island Auction Company... PDF.
well, it had to have been registered before 1986 and received a full-auto tax stamp. Maybe the owner registered it in the 60's, 70's, early 80's... whenever, then he put it away and forgot about it? From everything I've heard and read, there is absolutely no grandfather clause for full-auto weapons that weren't given a FA tax stamp before 1986. Of course, this doesn't apply to newly-made "samples" and inventory made by authorized people/businesses for law enforcement and military use, but that's another story.

Closed Thread

Tags
tommy gun thompson