Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Two great rifles... I think (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/two-great-rifles-i-think-97916/)

CJx 09-30-2013 02:24 AM

Two great rifles... I think

I'v done some research not too extensive, and if I had to choose 1 AR-15 and 1 AK-47, I would choose a Colt LE6940P with the articulating link gas piston system, and an Armament SA-M7R

My mind would already be made up on ALP system vs direct impingement for the AR. Choosing between those two rifles would be quite difficult, but honestly I think I would go with the Colt 940P. ARs are known to be more accurate at longer ranges (500 yds+) and the lighter 5.56 round is favorable in terms of ranged ballistics.

Losing the long tested reliability of an AK platform would be a really tough thing to do, but the articulating link piston system of the 940P I think would suffice as well as an AKs gas piston system.

Granted this is all hypothetical, but the Armament AK is about 900 dollars cheaper than the Colt 940P, so if I didn't have the funds, I would still have an awesome rifle in the Armament. Does anyone have experience with either of these rifles, and am I sound in my judgements and thoughts?

Mercator 09-30-2013 03:25 AM

The DI AR15 platform is very reliable. It is battle proven beyond any doubt. It is in fact simpler than the AK system. The only real advantage to the piston modification is the gas pressure valve for suppressed fire.

A genuine AK will likely tolerate more dirt and mud in the action, in fact much more than you will ever encounter. For that you would give up the precision and the ergos of an AR. I'd consider a Colt 6920 or similar.

CJx 09-30-2013 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercator (Post 1388117)
It is.

The DI AR15 platform is very reliable. It is battle proven beyond any doubt. It is in fact simpler than the AK system. The only real advantage to the piston modification is the gas pressure valve for suppressed fire.

A genuine AK will likely tolerate more dirt and mud in the action, in fact much more than you will ever encounter. For that you would give up the precision and the ergos of an AR. I think your money would be better spend on a 6920. Unless you have special needs unknown to me.

Why do you specify "it is"...?

Mercator 09-30-2013 10:50 AM

It was unnecessary. Redacted.

CJx 09-30-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercator (Post 1388314)
It was unnecessary. Redacted.

My research shows that DI system is more prone to failure due to the hot gasses and dirt emissions from the cartridge having nowhere to go, so the gun must be maintained well and frequently, which could be a disadvantage in a prolonged hostile situation. However. I'd rather not debate DI versus piston in this thread, I'd like to debate the Arsenal SA-M7 platform vs the LE940P or other similar platforms.

chloeshooter 09-30-2013 12:46 PM

have you shot either of these rifles, or anything close to them? technical data and internet forums can be helpful.....

for me, when looking at any firearm, everything else goes bye-bye if it does not feel right in-hand, shoulder well and most importantly, shoot straight....as in each time.

CrazedJava 09-30-2013 01:23 PM

Are you planning on having a rifle in the field? For everyday shooting at the range, possible home defense, or land defense if you are rural, the AR15 platform is fine.

That's said as someone who does not necessarily feel the DI system is terribly reliable, but that's when it gets REALLY dirty. If you're in a position to keep the rifle maintained then it will do fine by you.

I would say that in general the AR15 gives you more options, more support, and is just overall easier to own. I love the AK platform, but most of us are not going to be humping our rifles through the jungle for weeks at a time.

JonM 09-30-2013 01:44 PM

I've got ar15 and ak both. Not all ar15 are the same. No gun ak ar15 di driven or piston will run dirty in an unlubed state. Don't lube an ak it will stop running parts will break just like in an unlubed ar15.

Properly maintained and lubed is the key to any firearm. I got into using motor oil for lube in the army. It was easier to find a dipstick in a motor compartment for a few drops of lube than it was finding huge quantities of gun oil. My issued m16a1 in basic and later A2 in my duty station had no problems cycling in even the worst rainiest muddiest dustiest conditions.

I don't think pistons are inherently reliable by design. Just the opposite. Your more liekly to suffer catastrophic sidelining failure from a piston system than any concern over failure to cycle. This is true of the ak system as well. The piston oprod is the weak link in that system. Its such an issue fnh over engineered their scar series to eliminate the linkage between the piston and bolt carrier.

On the ak47 the weak link and a use over time fail point is where the piston is connected by a very small pin to the bolt carrier. Yes they are pinned on and ground and polished so it looks like one part but its not.

The reason my ohsht gun is a bcm di gun is all I need are very simple tools that can be handcrafted if needed to fix anything that goes wrong if it does. With a ak or piston ar15 you need specialty parts or a full machine shop to get em running again.

Now my ar15 is a midlength so I keep several middy gastubes on hand in my kit as that's the only off part in the gun.

Anyway just my opinions take it for what its worth. Good luck in your decision and colts are better guns than ak's

CJx 09-30-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55 (Post 1388365)
your research is flawed. yes a gas pistom design does run cleaner, but the DI system had been used quite well for about 50 years now. piston guns generaly are heavier and more costly. some also use proprietary designed parts, only available from the manufacterer.

i'll stick with my dirty DI system and just clean it after using it.

I think alot of soldiers with an M16A1 in vietnam and other wars where the A1 was used would tend to disagree. Atleast the M16 cleaned up after the A1.

Mercator 09-30-2013 02:16 PM

That was then. Fouling ammo and miscommunication. Most Vets I know like their ARs today.

I am a trained operator with a 516 SIG. Very fine piston system, 4 position regulator. Also nose heavy compared to their M400, not as well balanced. Cleaning? Zero sum. Less action fouling and a dirty piston assembly.