Trade for an AR-15 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Trade for an AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 04:38 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

On the surface it sounds like a fair deal money wise, but loosing 3 different guns in exchange for one is another ball of wax.

And then... you tell us it has a jamming issue. Forget it. Keep your own tried and true guns, he can go get his rifle fixed by the guy that possibly botched the build.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
On the surface it sounds like a fair deal money wise, but loosing 3 different guns in exchange for one is another ball of wax.

And then... you tell us it has a jamming issue. Forget it. Keep your own tried and true guns, he can go get his rifle fixed by the guy that possibly botched the build.

Yeah more than likey I will keep my guns. I like to have a wide variety of ammo options. I'll do some investigating and see what comes of it. Thanks guys

Guillie in the sticks~

Old 11-06-2011, 01:49 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have you inspected the bolt or carrier assembly? How about the gas system?

Often times when somebody has a weapon "custom built" for the price you said, it's because a corner was cut some way, somehow.

Another way this " jamming" could have been caused is buy a "redneck automatic" stunt was pulled by either blocking the trigger housing with rubber tape or something. The weapon could (and probably would have) emptied the magazine but at the same time butted the bolt or carrier housing...... Just an idea. Got any pictures of the bolt assembly broken down?

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 11-06-2011, 02:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsbadRanger06 View Post
Have you inspected the bolt or carrier assembly? How about the gas system?

Often times when somebody has a weapon "custom built" for the price you said, it's because a corner was cut some way, somehow.

Another way this " jamming" could have been caused is buy a "redneck automatic" stunt was pulled by either blocking the trigger housing with rubber tape or something. The weapon could (and probably would have) emptied the magazine but at the same time butted the bolt or carrier housing...... Just an idea. Got any pictures of the bolt assembly broken down?

I have no pictures yet.. My next day off work is this Wednesday so that's when im gonna break the gun down and put a few rounds through it. I do know that the gun was jamming every 14-17 round.. which leads me to believe its a magazine problem.. But the thing that draws me away from the magazine problem is that he was using the mags that came with the gun, as well as like 4 of 5 of his GI issued mags... If the gas rings are not staggered would that be the problem? I dont thing that really matters but its a possiblity.

Guillie in the sticks~

Old 11-06-2011, 02:33 AM   #15

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The staggered gas rings matter more when your rebuilding an engine. It does sound like a mag issue, but only if it was happening on one or two mags.

I'd lay the blame elsewhere, but I just don't know where

Old 11-07-2011, 02:48 AM   #16

Well by the sounds of things from you guys its not gonna be a simple mag issue like I was hoping... So with that being said im not gonna go through with it. Since I dont have anything chambered in .223 I'm thinking about picking up a saiga chambered in .223 and Ill just put a nice scope on it or something. I think the saiga would be more reliable out in the field because its pretty much an AK platform. And I would not be losing my other 3 guns, and the saiga is only 350 bucks!

Guillie in the sticks~

Old 11-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #17

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo08 View Post
I figured it was a fair trade for the money, my biggest thing was losing 3 different purpose firearms. I would only be out a 12 ga which i could pick up later on down the road. I just would like to get an AR because my sks's arent as accurate at longer ranges like the .223 would be.

As far as bells and whistles it has the front foregrip that snaps out into a bi-pod with the touch of a button. I priced them they are around 120 bucks. It has one of the more expensive tru glo red dot's which I know arent the best but they still work. The bolt and carrier and other parts are coated with something (cant remember at moment) that makes it a little more corrosion resistant. Has the 6 point stock, tons of picatinny mounting room. Comes with 8 mags. Hes throwing in a light with it as well.
I know its armalite upper and lower and a guy that lives in our area built it, I was with my friend the day he picked it up from the guy. My friend wanted to sell it for the money but i convinced him to possibly make a deal with me. I will go talk to the guy who built it i think.

He was having problems with it jamming every like 15 rounds. I think the bolt needs to be cocked back and left open for about 3 days or so. When it jammed it was bending some of the .223 rounds so that may be the problem. Im gonna break it down and see how feeding ramps are and if anything is wrong. Got any ideas why it would be jamming?? its only had bout 500 rounds through it, he oiled it up with about a whole bottle before he shot it. So i dont know? thanks guys
Sorry I came in to this so late but just want to say for about $750 I put together a complete ArmaLite upper on a stripped ArmaLite lower with an ArmaLite LPK. About the only thing not ArmaLite is the BCM receiver extension and H2 buffer kit. The BCG is stock phosphated ArmaLite, not with any special coating. This rifle has never malfunctioned over the last two years even on a steady diet of cheap steel case.

Just saying this to show the basic ArmaLite is not even close to worth $1200 but of course you said the one you're considering has a rail - but what rail, something heavy and cheap like UTG?

You said it is bending some rounds - is that because a casing didn't extract from the chamber? If so it might have a rough chamber or need better cleaning. What do you mean by "he oiled it up with about a whole bottle before he shot it". That can't be good!

Anyway, I'd build my own AR and I bet you'll come in cheaper and better if you do your homework. If you want to sell your other guns, do it separately.

ETA:
The Saiga can be a good cheap choice but don't expect it to be an AR.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 11-11-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Sorry I came in to this so late but just want to say for about $750 I put together a complete ArmaLite upper on a stripped ArmaLite lower with an ArmaLite LPK. About the only thing not ArmaLite is the BCM receiver extension and H2 buffer kit. The BCG is stock phosphated ArmaLite, not with any special coating. This rifle has never malfunctioned over the last two years even on a steady diet of cheap steel case.

Just saying this to show the basic ArmaLite is not even close to worth $1200 but of course you said the one you're considering has a rail - but what rail, something heavy and cheap like UTG?

You said it is bending some rounds - is that because a casing didn't extract from the chamber? If so it might have a rough chamber or need better cleaning. What do you mean by "he oiled it up with about a whole bottle before he shot it". That can't be good!

Anyway, I'd build my own AR and I bet you'll come in cheaper and better if you do your homework. If you want to sell your other guns, do it separately.

ETA:
The Saiga can be a good cheap choice but don't expect it to be an AR.

Well I took his gun to the range but before doing this I broke it down. He used so much oil on it that it was coming through every place possible and was all over the outside of the gun. I cleaned and wiped down some of the excess oil and cleaned it up pretty good. All the parts looked fine so we took it to the range and I ran 100 rounds of tulammo through it no problem at all. So i went ahead and made the trade.. It has yankee hill foregrip rails. I still need to find out what barrel it is. Im pretty sure its all armalite, but i think its possible the upper may be yankee hill. ill put a pic of it on tomorrow when i get a chance.

Guillie in the sticks~