Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Trade for an AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Trade for an AR-15

Hey everyone, got a question just asking for some opinions...
I got a friend who wants to trade me a custom built Armalite AR-15 with all bells and wistles for three of my guns. The guns i have are a Ruger Mark I .22 target pistol, a tactical remington 870 in .12 ga and a brand new savage axis in .308. The savage has no scope but has the mounts. I know he paid about 1200 dollars to have the AR built for him. So what you guys think? all guns in the deal are in very good condition.

Guillie in the sticks~

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Seems like a reasonably fair trade. If you have other guns that are as good as or better than what you're trading, go for it.

What's custom about the AR? And what "bells and whistles" come with it and can they be removed?

Old 11-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I personally would not make that trade. 3 guns with varying purpose for one with a more specific purpose isn't worth it to me.
Looking at just the money....it's a fair trade.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Moneywise it's probably a fair trade. I guess you have to decide whether your current collection has any replacements in it for what you are giving up. If you have other .22 pistols, 12 ga. shotguns and large caliber bolt actions, I say go for it.

Armalite makes good AR's BTW.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #5

It seems to be a pretty decent trade.

Need some great gear or ammunition for your gun? Check it out: http://www.strikehardgear.com/

Old 11-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Who "custom" built the AR? That would be the biggest question I'd have.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:56 AM   #7

I figured it was a fair trade for the money, my biggest thing was losing 3 different purpose firearms. I would only be out a 12 ga which i could pick up later on down the road. I just would like to get an AR because my sks's arent as accurate at longer ranges like the .223 would be.

As far as bells and whistles it has the front foregrip that snaps out into a bi-pod with the touch of a button. I priced them they are around 120 bucks. It has one of the more expensive tru glo red dot's which I know arent the best but they still work. The bolt and carrier and other parts are coated with something (cant remember at moment) that makes it a little more corrosion resistant. Has the 6 point stock, tons of picatinny mounting room. Comes with 8 mags. Hes throwing in a light with it as well.
I know its armalite upper and lower and a guy that lives in our area built it, I was with my friend the day he picked it up from the guy. My friend wanted to sell it for the money but i convinced him to possibly make a deal with me. I will go talk to the guy who built it i think.

He was having problems with it jamming every like 15 rounds. I think the bolt needs to be cocked back and left open for about 3 days or so. When it jammed it was bending some of the .223 rounds so that may be the problem. Im gonna break it down and see how feeding ramps are and if anything is wrong. Got any ideas why it would be jamming?? its only had bout 500 rounds through it, he oiled it up with about a whole bottle before he shot it. So i dont know? thanks guys

Guillie in the sticks~

Old 11-04-2011, 05:42 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo08 View Post
I figured it was a fair trade for the money, my biggest thing was losing 3 different purpose firearms. I would only be out a 12 ga which i could pick up later on down the road. I just would like to get an AR because my sks's arent as accurate at longer ranges like the .223 would be.

As far as bells and whistles it has the front foregrip that snaps out into a bi-pod with the touch of a button. I priced them they are around 120 bucks. It has one of the more expensive tru glo red dot's which I know arent the best but they still work. The bolt and carrier and other parts are coated with something (cant remember at moment) that makes it a little more corrosion resistant. Has the 6 point stock, tons of picatinny mounting room. Comes with 8 mags. Hes throwing in a light with it as well.
I know its armalite upper and lower and a guy that lives in our area built it, I was with my friend the day he picked it up from the guy. My friend wanted to sell it for the money but i convinced him to possibly make a deal with me. I will go talk to the guy who built it i think.

He was having problems with it jamming every like 15 rounds. I think the bolt needs to be cocked back and left open for about 3 days or so. When it jammed it was bending some of the .223 rounds so that may be the problem. Im gonna break it down and see how feeding ramps are and if anything is wrong. Got any ideas why it would be jamming?? its only had bout 500 rounds through it, he oiled it up with about a whole bottle before he shot it. So i dont know? thanks guys
Probably the guy who put it together and the parts he used. I'd run like hell away from this deal.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Probably the guy who put it together and the parts he used. I'd run like hell away from this deal.

You really think if its an arma upper and lower it would still be built with crappy parts or something like that??

Guillie in the sticks~

Old 11-05-2011, 03:41 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo08 View Post
You really think if its an arma upper and lower it would still be built with crappy parts or something like that??
Definitely, it's always a possibility. Who knows what this guy put in it. Do a little investigating. There's always a chance you'll get a Bubba gun when purchasing someones "custom built" AR. Just be careful.