Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Thompson sub., serial numbers and history.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 01:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Thompson sub., serial numbers and history.

Three weeks ago I bought a Thompson 1928A1 from a dealer in Lyon France. This was ex russian mil surplus which had been lend leased in ww2 by Uncle Sam. It's in good condition but has obviously seen quite a bit of service .
It was made in Bridgeport and is No. 440976. Can anyone help find its military history whilst it was in U.S. service please? Incidentally there are still some left, have a look at www.espfrance.com. the semi auto conversion is easily reversed on these and in fact I didn't have to as tolerance in one of the parts meant it still worked full auto when I switched it over,- turned a few heads down at the range.;

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Good luck. I have not been able to find out anything in regards to 1928 serial numbers and where they were sent.

I recently obtained a 1928A1 (Savage made) ser. # S-333XXX that was suppose to have been sold to the French at the beginning of WW2. It was then taken to Indo-China and then sold off by the Vietnamese to a British dealer. The gun has 1 British proof mark and the standard British style sling placements on the side of the forend and on the top of the butt.

I am still looking for info on it but have had no luck so far. If I find something I will let you know.

Last edited by Missing Something; 04-05-2008 at 05:39 AM.