thinking about a mini 14
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > thinking about a mini 14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 04:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default thinking about a mini 14

i have been wanting a mini 14 for a while now and have heard mixed reviews. i know that they have improved accuracy over the years. i just want it for target and maybe the occasional ground hog or coyote. i have a 336 that serves this purpose as well as others, i just want a semi-auto also in a lighter caliber. any thoughts on this or other suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2010, 04:56 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Many of the guys here will give you the biblical chapter and verse on how great the AR platform is and that Mini's suck, aren't accurate, are a dated design and so on.

I'm old, and I'm old school. I've had three Mini 14's and I've enjoyed every one. I just had to sell one and now I am down to one. I had it out to the range this morning and it was accurate at 50 and 100 yards. I was shooting PMC 55gr. FMJ's and it performed well with them. I generally shoot Federal/Lake City XM193 55gr. FMJ's and it's a touch more accurate with them.

I have 60 year old Mark 1 Eyeballs and I shoot the Mini with open sights. I'm happy with the way it performs and it's more accurate than I am.

If you like them, buy one.

BTW, if I have to shoot longer than that, I've got a 1917 Eddystone with good glass that will get the job done. ...and .30-06 makes a nice hole.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 07-24-2010 at 05:06 AM.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
KMO

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First of all, don't believe everything you read about the Mini-14's accuracy. Many such statements are over-embellished, and I'm sure that many are also made by those who have never fired a Mini-14. The Mini is a rugged well-designed carbine, and as dependable as they come. I do believe the latest generation from Ruger are more accurate out of the box, mostly attributable to the revised barrel design (thicker at the gas block and tapers down in diameter). However, even earlier versions can be accessorized to improve performance, and without spending too much money. There are plenty of add-ons & accessories available for the Mini. Go ahead & pick one up. You won't regret it...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 07-24-2010, 05:20 AM   #4

I've got a couple myself, pretty much my favorite platform. Both guns are plenty accurate and will eat any ammo you want to feed them. I have a stainless model with a few cheap mods that out performs my AR. Used mini's are going in the $450 range around here right now, ya just can't get an AR for that, or even a decent AK anymore.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:21 AM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Mini 14's are great and many of those who talk smack about them have never owned or used one.

I have a couple and always will. And I have never had one malfunction with decent mags.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-24-2010, 06:25 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Oh yeah, that's right. Stick with factory mags and you'll do fine.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #7

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I'm old school also. I love the Mini-14 platform as well as the Garand and M1A. My accurized Mini will shoot sub-MOA when scoped, although I prefer iron sights and can keep it under 2" all day, if my old eyes allow me to when I go out. I have been shooting and smithing the Mini since they first came out back in the mid 70s or so and would not be without one..

Jim............

Old 07-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #8

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Well at 62 I'm an old guy too and since I've bought four Rugers handguns from 1973-2006 I'm a Ruger fan, however my rifles were Marlins (one a 336C like yours rugermatt).

About ten years ago I began warming up to 5.56 and 7.62x39 and being a Ruger fan the Mini-14 and Mini-30 were at the top of my list. Then the AWB sunsetted so I also looked at ARs and AKs and chose the WASR-10 over the Mini-30 mainly on price and the availability of parts. I did fire a Mini-30 but have to say the fun factor of an AKM also played in my decision. I have never been sorry with the AK.

Then last year I decided it was now or never on the 5.56 so I researched long and hard deciding the best route was to build a custom AR. I have nothing against either Mini but they lose out when compared to the military designs. I am very pleased with the AR I built.

Getting a Mini-14 is not a bad choice (and I do like the Garand/M14 style action) but do some research on ARs first.

Last edited by Quentin; 07-24-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #9

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

For a long time I was looking at the Mini-14. The main reason I went with the AR-15 instead is that I knew I would only get a chance to buy 1 rifle right now. For that reason I thought the AR filled more of my needs. But I still want a Mini-14. For 1 thing, it looks like a real rifle! Especially the ranch rifle (beautiful!!)

My SUR looks like a tactical thing and anyone seeing me walk down the street (in a SHTF situation) with my AR would get really scared of me. But carrying a Mini-14 I could just look like a hunter.

Someday I might get one, but for right now I'll have to be content with my black rifle (and believe me, I'm grinning!!).

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #10

my father has an ar-15 and it is a sweet shooting gun, but the price on one is about double a mini-14. i am a huge ruger fan also. i just want to get something with out breaking the bank( i'm looking to buy a 1911 also). i have just heard so many mixed reviews on them. does anyone have a preference of of mini 14 or mini 30?