Tell me about noise suppressors
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Tell me about noise suppressors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Tell me about noise suppressors

I'm curious about noise suppressors (silencers). Mostly, I think it would be cool to have one. I have a lot of questions about them though.

1) Is a suppressor gun-specific? Or caliber specific? Rifle vs. pistol specific? You get my drift.

2) Is the tax stamp per suppressor?

3) Is the tax stamp person-specific? If my wife got one, would I be able to shoot it and if so under what conditions? Could we let someone else shoot it?

4) Does a gun need to be modified to use the suppressor?

5) How heavy are they?

6) How hard are they to remove? Do they really just screw on like in the movies?

7) How much do they affect the trajectory or velocity of a bullet?

OK, that's it for now. Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2831 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyclaw View Post
I'm curious about noise suppressors (silencers). Mostly, I think it would be cool to have one. I have a lot of questions about them though.

1) Is a suppressor gun-specific? Or caliber specific? Rifle vs. pistol specific? You get my drift.

2) Is the tax stamp per suppressor?

3) Is the tax stamp person-specific? If my wife got one, would I be able to shoot it and if so under what conditions? Could we let someone else shoot it?

4) Does a gun need to be modified to use the suppressor?

5) How heavy are they?

6) How hard are they to remove? Do they really just screw on like in the movies?

7) How much do they affect the trajectory or velocity of a bullet?

OK, that's it for now. Thanks!
1. Supressors are caliber specific. Sometimes different barrels have different threads and adapters are available

2. Yes. One $200 tax/device

3. If it is "registered" to an individual, that person must be present. Some are registered to a "trust", anyone listed on the trust can be in possession of the device

4. A gas operated gun may need some degree of modification. An AR will probably need a very heavy buffer (H-3 or 9mm)

5. Maybe a pound or so

6. Most are threaded and just screw on.

7. They will affect the trajectory to some degree. Each gun/suppressor combination will be unique

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Mouser Likes This 
Old 11-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #3

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

The Feds make is as difficult as possible to own a suppressor.
Your state must allow them as well.
Your Chief Law Enforcement Officer must be willing to sign the forms. Trusts bypass this requirement but our Prez is changing that.
Quality suppressors are not cheap. Cheap suppressors are not quality.
The current wait for the BATFE to approve an individual transfer is at or over one year. It is several months wait to approve a transfer from one dealer to another.
So if you can get your sheriff to sign off, if your state allows it, if you have the funds for the tax and a decent suppressor and if you can wait at least a year, suppressors are crazy awesome and I highly recommend them.
Go to the silencer forums on another site and read up on everything.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2201 Times on 1539 Posts
Likes Given: 1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
1. Supressors are caliber specific. Sometimes different barrels have different threads and adapters are available

2. Yes. One $200 tax/device

3. If it is "registered" to an individual, that person must be present. Some are registered to a "trust", anyone listed on the trust can be in possession of the device

4. A gas operated gun may need some degree of modification. An AR will probably need a very heavy buffer (H-3 or 9mm)

5. Maybe a pound or so

6. Most are threaded and just screw on.

7. They will affect the trajectory to some degree. Each gun/suppressor combination will be unique
This sums it up nicely. Be aware of the downsides. A mounted suppressor will shift the weight balance forward. It will cause more chamber fouling and sometimes a powder gas blowback in your face. It may cause malfunctions due to increased chamber pressures and altered cycling. Not every firearm likes to be suppressed, so choose your suppressor host wisely.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

i own two.

bolt actions make the best suppressed rifles. direct blowback pistols make the best suppressed pistols. it helps to use subsonic ammo but testing MUST be done to ensure any radically different ammo than the norm does not key hole. baffle strikes can ensue blowing up your pricey toy.

in general a suppressor for a larger caliber can be used on a smaller. i use my .308 suppressor on my ar15 which is 5.56/.223 and it works better than a supressor design for the 223/556 due to the larger volume of the suppressor.

suppressors do not affect max range or velocity of the round, as is so often depicted by bad video games, but do increase back pressure so book max loads should never be used with one.

the supressor either needs an adaptor for QD models to swap from gun to gun or the gun must be threaded with the same thread pattern if its a screw on type.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Monkeyclaw Likes This 
Old 11-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #6

Liked 76 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752
The Feds make is as difficult as possible to own a suppressor.
Your state must allow them as well.
Your Chief Law Enforcement Officer must be willing to sign the forms. Trusts bypass this requirement but our Prez is changing that.
Quality suppressors are not cheap. Cheap suppressors are not quality.
The current wait for the BATFE to approve an individual transfer is at or over one year. It is several months wait to approve a transfer from one dealer to another.
So if you can get your sheriff to sign off, if your state allows it, if you have the funds for the tax and a decent suppressor and if you can wait at least a year, suppressors are crazy awesome and I highly recommend them.
Go to the silencer forums on another site and read up on everything.
Why are they awesome? And why do you recommend them?

Old 11-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #7

Liked 121 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 143

I want one...I will have one...I just don't know when

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #8

Liked 1028 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 677

They are awesome because form what i understand, in most cases, they negate the need for hearing protection. And they serve as a flash suppressor, too. I have shot a suppressed 10/22, and most of the noise was from the action racking back and forth.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:06 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
They are awesome because form what i understand, in most cases, they negate the need for hearing protection. And they serve as a flash suppressor, too. I have shot a suppressed 10/22, and most of the noise was from the action racking back and forth.
they also work as a muzzle brake

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #10

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing
Why are they awesome? And why do you recommend them?
Where to begin.... I got my first can because I wanted to see what they could do. Then I needed a rimfire can and now I'm waiting for a rifle can.... Maybe I'll stop there.

First, it greatly reduces muzzle blast. It is safer for you and others shooting around you if at a range. Ever felt the heat and pressure wave from the 300 win mag next to you?
It reduces the muzzle blast signature. Hearing protection for you and fellow hunters/shooters. Supersonic rounds are tolerable without hearing protection but not truly hearing safe. Subsonic rounds range from hearing safe to nearly silent.
It hides the location of the shooter. This may sound like a combat/assassin type thing but is critical for hunters. The prey will not hear or cannot tell the location of the gunfire which often confuses them and they are less likely to scatter. That can be very helpful if one misses or is hunting multiple hogs/coyotes etc.
I can load a round and walk into my back yard and test the round without my neighbors being disturbed. It is a lot more handy than driving all the way to the range to test loads.
Yard vermin can be dispatched without any neighbors being disturbed, especially anti gun cop calling neighbors.
For home defense, it protects hearing for everyone so verbal communication is easier. It also protects low light vision by nearly eliminating the flash.

Some things won't happen. Guns are never truly silent. Supersonic rounds are still loud due to the sonic boom. The gun will be somewhat harder to hold and aim with a weight on the end of a barrel.

Ever see Zero Dark Thirty? It shows the SEALS using AAC SDN cans. Yet in one scene it shows the outside of the building while inside the SEALS are popping a few rounds to make sure the bad guys are dead. The movie shows bright flashes coming out the window. That is all Hollywood magic as the flashes would be virtually non existent with a can