Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Taurus CT9 build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 11:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

Default Taurus CT9 build thread

I got my CT9 yesterday (26FEB13) and shot 150 round through it. I was very happy with how it performed but I bought this gun to extensively mod. SBR paperwork will be Eformed tomorrow.
(Some of the pictures rotated oddly and I can’t seem to fix them. I think it has something to do with my phone.)
Minutes after unboxing and on the range.

Very first 3 rounds on factory unadjusted sights. Shooting supported off the box it came in from 25 yards.

Took some measurements and started cutting.

I cut the left side near the bolt hold to allow room for the charging handle to move completely forward.

Then I used a dremel sanding drum to round it off. I also marked two holds on either side to drill out later with my drill press for the forearm bolt.

I used a file and filed off some material from the top two pilars to allow room for uzi mags to fit. It worked great but still needs some work.

Here the bolt hold open catch is working but will need to be modified. I am not 100% sure I will be able to get the hold open to work. We will have to see.

Still a lot of work left to do. A folding stock is in the mail, Eotech should be on the way soon, magazine well still needs more work, uzi mags need modifying, and some plast

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2014, 06:47 PM   #2

More work to the mags today. I was supprised to find that it only took about 20 minutes to get the uzi mag to lock up to the gun properly. I removed one of the floor plates from the factory mag and shaved it a little on the front and back to get it to fit into the uzi mag. It works great so far. I trimmed the rear of the uzi mag to match the factory mag and cut a slot for the mag release to grab.

The bolt hold open works and it locks up with no play. The bolt will also ride forward without touching either magazine. I haven't had a chance to load ammo into it and won't have one until this comming tuesday. I will post a report when I do.

CT9 10 rd mag

Uzi mag

Old 03-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #3

I did a lot more work last night. I also turned in the SBR Eform []

Because of where i drilled the hole for the forearm i needed to modify the mounting pin. It doubles as a sling mount for the front of the rifle but the charging handle won't move to the forward most position so it needed to be filed down.

I used a hand grinder with a cutting disk then cleaned it up with a dremel.

The placement of the pin also interfered with the block the charging handle is attached to. It also would not ride all the way forward but this was a larger problem because the bolt would not close. I drilled it out and cleaned it up with a dremel.

I used a plastic welder to relocate the plastic piece that inserts into the lower receiver. This helps keep the hand guard from moving around.

I removed and cut the stock off. The mount for the pistol grip looks identical to an AR15 pistol grip mount. I did not try to mount one but have heard it will work.

These voids needed to be filled to add strength and give me a place to mount the stock.

I used plastic from the discarded stock to fill the void.

The stock I used has a metal bracket with two holds. I counter sunk the holes and drilled and threaded the plastic.

The small gaps will be filled in with epoxy later and sanded to give in a more factory look and less like I did it in my garage..... which I did.

This is the factory insert that catches the recoil spring and locks the lower and upper together in the rear. I filled in the shallow voids with more plastic from the discarded stock to give the bolts more meat to grab.

There are a few spots on the rifle that need to be refinished due to cutting or grinding that needed to be done. I will also sand several parts of the rifle with fine sand paper to smooth out a few of the rough spots. Most of what needs to be done at this point is cosmetic.

I still need to shoot it in this configuration and work on the uzi mags. I hand cycled the uzi mags loaded and they fed well when they were at the correct height. I cut the notch a little high on the first mag and it's giving me a few issues but I know what the issue is and should be easy to fix. I will just need time to work on them.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4474 Times on 2359 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Wow going straight to modding a new rifle. Heh. Can't wait to see it with the shorty barrel.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Wow going straight to modding a new rifle. Heh. Can't wait to see it with the shorty barrel.
Yeah I concur. Pretty cool to see how you are doing the extensive amount of plastic work on it. I have a lot of respect for people who have the nads, and the confidence to cut up a brand new gun and do all of the mechanical and cosmetic/plastic work themselves. Keep it up! I'm excited to see the finished product.