tactical rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > tactical rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default tactical rifle

So, I have $1400 or so to play with, I'm looking for ideas. The three rifles I'm really looking at are the msar stg e4, m1a Springfield, or the arsenal ak47, in that order. Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Background info: the rifle is for fun shooting and home defense. I'm not looking for an AR style rifle because I already have one.

EXPENDABLE

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2011, 01:22 AM   #2

Have you ever thought about getting a used kriss?

Old 10-23-2011, 01:25 AM   #3

Recently found an RFB at a local shop at a good price, and had to have it. Been wanting one for a long time
Leftys, specially, if you've always wanted a true ambidextrious SHTF or hog thumper, this is the rifle for you.
Ran various handloads throgh it without any issues. Also ran cheap 7.62 surplus, and had no issues. 150gr FMJ to 180gr soft tip spire bullets using lower range loads of Varget powder.
Comes without sights, so I dropped an inexpensive BSA combo red dot, and laser pointer. Topped that with an UGF 140lumen light with pressure switch.
Sighted in initially 1" high at 50yds walking the red dot in the X. Once setup, at the bench, it was grouping tight, considering red dot only with no magnification. Moved on to 100yds. Shot 10 shots as fast as I could get back in line, and was happy with 10's and X's. Freehand, quick 5 shots gave me 1-7, 3-8, and 1-9. May drop a big scope on it, and play some more. Would be happy to answer questions, and hear thoughts from others....

Old 10-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That looks like a lot of recoil and not very ergonomic. am I misinterpreting what I'm seeing and getting from the reviews I'm finding?

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention I want something that I can share with others to shoot, including first time shooters.

EXPENDABLE

Old 10-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #5

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

I would look for something that shoots 7.62x39 or 5.56 nato as both of those rounds can be readily had at a reasonable price. I would hate to spend a grand on a gun and the ammo be too expensive to get out and enjoy said weapon. What I like about the 5.56 is the ability to also chamber .223... That means ammo can be found cheap! I say look at the AK... Arsenal is supposed to be the bee's knees of AK manufacturers...

Old 10-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
So, I have $1400 or so to play with, I'm looking for ideas. The three rifles I'm really looking at are the msar stg e4, m1a Springfield, or the arsenal ak47, in that order. Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Background info: the rifle is for fun shooting and home defense. I'm not looking for an AR style rifle because I already have one.

EXPENDABLE
I think the order you have down is pretty decent. Although I've always drooled over M1A's, I went with the AR10 for my 308 battle rifle for lots of reasons. And AK's just never lit a fire in my belly, but they sure do in lots of other folks. I have a FA Steyr AUG and that is just a fine platform in my book. You can get plain jane 223 FMJ all the way up to super specialized rounds for it, recoil is reasonable, accuracy is fine for what it is, I love the control of three point mounting, and they just look cool (to me). For lots cheaper than the first two in your list, the Mini 14 or Mini 30 are great little rifles and the pistol caliber carbines like Beretta CX4 are fun to have around.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #7

Liked 2515 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

Depends on if your range fun is MOA-based or not.

I'd say generally, go for the AK, they're great fun and ammo's cheap.

If you're a more of a accuracy shooter, the Springfield.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:58 AM   #8

From a quick glance, a problem I see with the MSAR is an inability to use iron sights, or iron sights that are only about 6-7 inches apart. Maybe there is something I'm missing though.

M1As are really nice, and I'd like to have one. Only thing is they are pretty heavy.

With $1400 you could get the Arsenal and a ton of ammo. Arsenal's are one of the better AKs from what I've read. The only issue I have with AK's is there is no real good way to mount any sort of optics, and the iron sights are "ok" at best. Still a very fun gun to shoot.

Of the three, I would personally go with the Arsenal. Mainly because your budget allows for additional ammo and magazines. If you got either of the others, you would have the rifle and nothing else.

You could easily buy the AK, 10 mags and a couple thousand rounds for $1400.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 11-10-2011, 01:34 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So everyone who's contributed knows, I've decided on all three. I'm starting with the msar, only because I found one for a grand. Next will likely be the m1a with the ak batting cleanup. I greatly appreciate all of your input and advice. Next challenge will be deciding optics for each.

EXPENDABLE

Old 11-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #10

Liked 2515 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
From a quick glance, a problem I see with the MSAR is an inability to use iron sights, or iron sights that are only about 6-7 inches apart. Maybe there is something I'm missing though.

M1As are really nice, and I'd like to have one. Only thing is they are pretty heavy.

With $1400 you could get the Arsenal and a ton of ammo. Arsenal's are one of the better AKs from what I've read. The only issue I have with AK's is there is no real good way to mount any sort of optics, and the iron sights are "ok" at best. Still a very fun gun to shoot.

Of the three, I would personally go with the Arsenal. Mainly because your budget allows for additional ammo and magazines. If you got either of the others, you would have the rifle and nothing else.

You could easily buy the AK, 10 mags and a couple thousand rounds for $1400.

-Fred
Actually, there are bolt-on or replacement parts for AKs which have

scope rails attached to them. Shop around a little, google a little more.

you'd be surprised at what you can find for anything as popular as an AK...