Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Svt 40 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/svt-40-a-44069/)

GordonGrey 06-19-2011 05:27 AM

Svt 40

Hi my first post here so hi all ( yes i went to the Intros thread) I,m going to be buying my first firearm in Many many years,,mostly for fun shooting on a range ,, I,ve narrowed them down to ether a SKS 56 or a SVT40 ,, Now I know the SKS is a fun little Carbine and 7.62x39 is dirt cheap and lots of it .I sorta like the looks of the SVT also and 7.62x 54R looks like a good powerful round. But I know little about the weapon itselve other then the Russians had problems with them and the Germans loved them (go figure) . So if anyone owns one or knows a lot about them would love to hear from ya.

dgray64 06-20-2011 08:52 PM

I really like my SKS. I haven't changed the stock out yet for a Tapco unit, but plan to. Where have you seen an SVT40 for sale. I haven't seen any out. The round is great and from what I've read the '40 is a great rifle that went through the malfunction series as the '36 and '38. I think if you can find a .40 reasonably priced, it will be worth a lot more sooner than the SKS. Good luck either way.

Dave

jpattersonnh 06-20-2011 08:56 PM

Your in Canada, so the SVD is more available then here in the states. Great rifle! Scoped is even better.

GordonGrey 06-21-2011 04:52 AM

Thanks for the replys I didn't know that they were somewhat rare in the States,and after checking the web found that they are far cheaper here then there ( that seems to go for the SKS as well ) Which seems odd from my point of view? The SKS is almost as common here now as the old Mk4 Lee Enfield 303 use to be! ie their every where! Almost the deer gun of choice. Threw in some links to show prices up here Marstar Canada: Online Specials Main
Ammo/Gun Combo Package

dgray64 06-21-2011 11:38 AM

Thanks for the look at what's available. That's a good price on the SVT40. The SKSs are a little higher than here, though prices are increasing some. Let us know what you get and how it shoots. It's something that a lot of the deals include ammo. Have a great day.

Dave

jpattersonnh 06-22-2011 12:28 AM

You guys get what's from Russia, China. We get satellite stuff.

ten8t8 07-04-2011 04:22 PM

Tokarev SVT 40

I happen to have a SVT 40 that I could be convinced to part with. Rifle is complete and appears to be in pretty good condition. It does have electro pencil import numbers engraved in it though. I could post photos if anyone is interested.

JonM 07-04-2011 06:22 PM

batfe requires electo pencil of english serial numbers so all russian firearms imported to the US will be marked as such the us govt doesnt like cyrrilic

ten8t8 07-05-2011 03:16 PM

Нет! Правда? Почему я не удивлен?!

Fisherking 07-07-2011 04:50 PM

I have owned one and they are hard on brass if you are planing to reload. the chamber is SPLINED for easier extraction. They used to have extraction problems.
If you are looking for a good place to by in Canada " Ellwood Epps" has realy reasionable prices.
F.K.