Suomi Kit Guns
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Suomi Kit Guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Default Suomi Kit Guns

I am looking at a Suomi M31 kit that a buddy of mine turned me onto. Anybody have some experience with these kits?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 581 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 801

My buddy Charlie tried to build up two of the kits I bought for him. Back when they cost $39 a piece.

Building a new reciever for these things requires a milling machine and a lathe, even with the "kit" recievers, magazine bodies and "trigger box flats" that Hellbox used to make. Extensive machining needed on bolt and trigger group also to make it semi auto. Fixed firing pin is milled out and the bolt body is step drilled to take an AR "floating" firing pin. Pretty much needs a whole new trigger group fabricated. You also need a 16" or longer barrel to be legal. All these parts add ~$300 in parts to the kit you started with. This is NOT counting the machine time!

Both kits ended up as non function wall hangers. Moral of the story, I can build a semi Uzi for a whole lot less time and money and end up with twice the gun...

If your still interested I've got a drum mag and possibly some other parts still setting around. PM me and we'll work out a deal. I still have some files and blueprints on my laptop if your interested. I'll email you that info if you want it.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 12-14-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
My buddy Charlie tried to build up two of the kits I bought for him. Back when they cost $39 a piece.

Building a new reciever for these things requires a milling machine and a lathe, even with the "kit" recievers, magazine bodies and "trigger box flats" that Hellbox used to make. Extensive machining needed on bolt and trigger group also to make it semi auto. Fixed firing pin is milled out and the bolt body is step drilled to take an AR "floating" firing pin. Pretty much needs a whole new trigger group fabricated. You also need a 16" or longer barrel to be legal. All these parts add ~$300 in parts to the kit you started with. This is NOT counting the machine time!

Both kits ended up as non function wall hangers. Moral of the story, I can build a semi Uzi for a whole lot less time and money and end up with twice the gun...

If your still interested I've got a drum mag and possibly some other parts still setting around. PM me and we'll work out a deal. I still have some files and blueprints on my laptop if your interested. I'll email you that info if you want it.
I do have access to a machine shop to do all of that work. These kits are supposed to be complete. http://tnwfirearms.com/complete-guns/m31-homebuilders-kit.html The price is $349 for the kit or $485 for a complete gun. The kit is the only way I could get one in CA due to state laws (that is how I understand it anyhow).

In any event, if the planets line up in the right positions I might be obtaining a kit and building it up for a Podcast review.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #4

Liked 581 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 801

Very cool! I wish you luck on your build then. The plans I gleaned will be on the way to you as soon as I get near a truckstop with internet. Prob tomorrow or Monday.

You've got me interested now, I'd like to see one of these actually complete and firing! I'll pm you with pics of the parts I have when I get by the house.

First time I've seen this kit. Looks like the hardest subassemblys are already done. Maybe I'll have to try one myself after I finish building the Uzi I got myself for Christmas . This kit is definitely better shape than the two I bought before...

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 12-14-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 12-15-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

J&G by Us here has the "full" built M31 for $449, but that Kit sounds like a good deal. The 72 Rd. drum is also Legal here, and I have been considering one. I would want to "bulk" out the Mag housing with a Fore Grip of some type, so I wouldn't need to Hold It by the Magazine if i wanted a "2 Handed Grip" wonder what type of Sling would work with it...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
Vikingdad Likes This