Sub machine gun pic thread - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Sub machine gun pic thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 06:07 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

if someone ever made a reproduction semi-auto M3 at a decent price, i'd probably have to have one!

i always thought they were a cool looking gun!
Million dollar idea??????
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22251 Times on 12465 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
Million dollar idea??????
i am no engineer by any means, but i think the hard part would be to make it semi-auto. most of the parts on the original M3 were stamped metal, spot welded together with the barrel being the most complex part of the gun.

look at the Ingram Mac-10. most of it's parts are stamped steel and spot welded together. i think if someone wanted to it could be done, maybe even at a decent price.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #23

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Now you have me wondering how the firing mechanism works in the M3. *sigh* time to dust off the old manual.
People Like This 
Old 09-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Now you have me wondering how the firing mechanism works in the M3. *sigh* time to dust off the old manual.
not for sure. i have only seen one in my lifetime and it was in glass display case.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:39 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6577 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
another one of my favorites. the M3 grease gun. much cheaper and faster to produce than the Thompson machine gun.
Quote:
I reeeaallllyyyyy want an M3. I'd love to have one in semi-auto. It's probably my favorite WWII SMG.
Quote:
if someone ever made a reproduction semi-auto M3 at a decent price, i'd probably have to have one!

i always thought they were a cool looking gun!
Quote:
not for sure. i have only seen one in my lifetime and it was in glass display case.
It wasn't a complex gun by any means.

I'd like to see one made semi auto too. I don't think it would take too much to change the design to semi auto. The bolt is another story. IIRC, there is some federal law banning open bolt guns. Correct? It would have to be converted into a closed bolt blowback design. Like how the Polish PPS-43Cs were.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 09-15-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
It wasn't a complex gun by any means.

I'd like to see one made semi auto two. I don't think it would take too much to change the design to semi auto. The bolt is another story. IIRC, there is some federal law banning open bolt guns correct?
IIRC, yes there is, because an open bolt even in semi-auto can be converted to full auto very easily if i'm not mistaken. but they changed the Mac 10 to a closed bolt design, so it should be possible to do the same with the M3. but as i said, i am not an engineer nor a firearms designer.

pretty sure the barrel would have to be longer to meet BATF standards as well for a rifle. or have it classified as a pistol maybe.

another point would be is, would there be a viable market for such a gun? would there be enough interest to justify building them to sell if they were produced?

Old 09-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #27

Liked 461 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

IIRC, yes there is, because an open bolt even in semi-auto can be converted to full auto very easily if i'm not mistaken. but they changed the Mac 10 to a closed bolt design, so it should be possible to do the same with the M3. but as i said, i am not an engineer nor a firearms designer.

pretty sure the barrel would have to be longer to meet BATF standards as well for a rifle. or have it classified as a pistol maybe.

another point would be is, would there be a viable market for such a gun? would there be enough interest to justify building them to sell if they were produced?
I'd buy two! One for each hand
People Like This 
Old 09-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
I'd buy two! One for each hand
well it looks like we have an order for six of them so far!
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 09-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #29
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6577 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:

I'll have to look into how they switched the MAC 10s and the PPS-43Cs to a closed bolt design. That could be an interesting project to do some day.

Now then, as for BATFE. As you said, it could be listed as a rifle (turning it's 8" barrel into a 16"), or listed as a pistol (requiring the stock be removed, or welded in the closed position). A third option would be a short barreled rifle under NFA. That would be the most appealing option to me.

I think there would be some kind of market for it. It's a historic gun that just worked and is extremely well known. A lot of people would buy it just for the cool factor alone. Basically for the same reasons someone would pay a few thousand dollars for a semi auto version of the Thomson. This gun wouldn't be near as expensive though. Maybe $300-$600? (ROUGH estimate)
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I'll have to look into how they switched the MAC 10s and the PPS-43Cs to a closed bolt design. That could be an interesting project to do some day.

Now then, as for BATFE. As you said, it could be listed as a rifle (turning it's 8" barrel into a 16"), or listed as a pistol (requiring the stock be removed, or welded in the closed position). A third option would be a short barreled rifle under NFA. That would be the most appealing option to me.

I think there would be some kind of market for it. It's a historic gun that just worked and is extremely well known. A lot of people would buy it just for the cool factor alone. Basically for the same reasons someone would pay a few thousand dollars for a semi auto version of the Thomson. This gun wouldn't be near as expensive though. Maybe $300-$600? (ROUGH estimate)
sounds like a good idea. it definately has a cool factor IMO! i just always like the looks of them. very simple but functional guns. nothing fancy or anything added that wasn't absolutely needed.
texaswoodworker Likes This