Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Steel vs Brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 200 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I've used thousands of rounds of lacquer coated ammo with no problems of any kind.

If you think the lacquer will melt, try using a blowtorch on a fired case. It will eventually burn, but not melt.

I don't know where these old wives tales about steel cased ammo came from, but they're just that. Old wives tales.
Probably has more to do with the gun itself than the ammo. I use to bumpfire a lot, and never had a problem with steel ammo, laquer or not. I have a feeling that some of the guns out there are .223 chambered, not 5.56, which some people will tell you are the same, but the .223 is slightly tighter, which makes for more malfunctions than any difference in ammo. My AR will shoot brass or lacquered steel just fine. My take is there are shooters out there with the .223 barrels who are having fits with their guns, and blaming it on the ammo.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #12

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a

Probably has more to do with the gun itself than the ammo. I use to bumpfire a lot, and never had a problem with steel ammo, laquer or not. I have a feeling that some of the guns out there are .223 chambered, not 5.56, which some people will tell you are the same, but the .223 is slightly tighter, which makes for more malfunctions than any difference in ammo. My AR will shoot brass or lacquered steel just fine. My take is there are shooters out there with the .223 barrels who are having fits with their guns, and blaming it on the ammo.
Well I'm not one of them my gun clearly says 5.56 on the barrel. The 5.56 has a higher presser than the .223. And the ammo I used was .223. I'm not one to usually blame the ammo but in my case there is realy no other explanation. The lacquer is extremely thick on the kind I used mush thicker than normal. That's most likely the reason.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 700 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

I've found that lately, I actually prefer steel cased, since I dont reload anyway.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #14

Just found out by carefully measuring a round out of the same box of ammo that the lacquer was applied to thick to the casing during production. All the other lacquer ammo is fine.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #15

Liked 200 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
The lacquer is extremely thick on the kind I used mush thicker than normal. That's most likely the reason.
You might be right. I have heard of a few cases slipping through that had enough lacquer to actually change the specs. I just take it with a grain of salt most of the time when someone says an AR won't shoot the stuff, cause a lot of us can shoot thousands of rounds of the stuff a day without incident. Most of the cases where someone has a problem with steel, there is a malfunction of the firearm as the root cause. Course, anyone can have a batch of bad ammo.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a

You might be right. I have heard of a few cases slipping through that had enough lacquer to actually change the specs. I just take it with a grain of salt most of the time when someone says an AR won't shoot the stuff, cause a lot of us can shoot thousands of rounds of the stuff a day without incident. Most of the cases where someone has a problem with steel, there is a malfunction of the firearm as the root cause. Course, anyone can have a batch of bad ammo.
I sent my m&p to s&w and had it checked and I took it to a shop close by. They all said it was the ammo. And all the other ammo lacquer or not works just fine other than that I have never had a ftf. I measured the other rounds in that box and some in another box I got at the same time and they wear to big.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #17

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

There needs to be a simple sticky at the top of every sub forum dealing w/ firearms. It should simply state, STEEL CASED AMMUNITION HAS NO NEGATIVE IMPACT, STUPID.

Edit: as narrated by Randall

Last edited by MikeJK; 05-09-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5075 Times on 2887 Posts
Likes Given: 4243

Several years I got into a rather heated discussion with an acquaintance about MilSurp ammo in general, and steel in particular.

After much discussion, I finally found out that his objection was that it wasn't American made, and as a good labor union man he wouldn't have any part of ammo that wasn't made by American union labor regardless of the cost.

I wonder how much of that comes into play in the discussion on these threads.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK
There needs to be a simple sticky at the top of every sub forum dealing w/ firearms. It should simply state, STEEL CASED AMMUNITION HAS NO NEGATIVE IMPACT, STUPID.

Edit: as narrated by Randall
Humm. This was not directed to me was it.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus
Several years I got into a rather heated discussion with an acquaintance about MilSurp ammo in general, and steel in particular.

After much discussion, I finally found out that his objection was that it wasn't American made, and as a good labor union man he wouldn't have any part of ammo that wasn't made by American union labor regardless of the cost.

I wonder how much of that comes into play in the discussion on these threads.
Not in my case. I have more Tula than I can count. Just got a 500 round spam can of it the other day.