Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Steel vs Brass (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/steel-vs-brass-63847/)

MrRecon1 05-05-2012 01:56 AM

Steel vs Brass

Hey guys I was looking for some advice for whether I can use steel cased ammo in my AR....I heard that brass is the best because steel damages the rifle....thanks!

Alwayscarrying 05-05-2012 02:55 AM

Steel should be fine. The you may experience FTF and FTE's with the lacquer coated stuff. Just try it and see. What are the specs on your rifle?

Woody 05-05-2012 03:06 AM

Ive always been told that steel case ammo tends to break extractors and at best wears them out faster so I avoid It in my AR and semi auto handguns But my SKS eats it liked extra butter popcorn at a double feature movie lol

texaswoodworker 05-05-2012 03:07 AM

I've heard that brass runs through the gun a little easier and smoother than steel, but either one should work fine.

locutus 05-05-2012 01:48 PM

You may indeed wear out extractors faster with steel.

BUT, if you save $50-$75 per thousand rounds on ammo cost, how many $5 extractors can you buy????:p

Viking 05-09-2012 02:56 AM

I've had one person tell me to avoid the lacquered steel cases due to residue build up in the chamber. On the other hand Silver Bear ammo steel cases are zinc plated and as well the powder seems to burn very clean. I had one round that had a pierced primer out of a box of 20. Personally I think I would just use this ammo as a last resort in case of a SHTF scenario. Mini 14 extractors are tough but I suspect that steel cases would tend to abuse them much more than brass cases.

fsted2a 05-09-2012 01:53 PM

I use both in my AR with no problems. Most of the people who have issues with steel have tier 3 or worse guns.

lbwar15 05-09-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayscarrying
Steel should be fine. The you may experience FTF and FTE's with the lacquer coated stuff. Just try it and see. What are the specs on your rifle?

Stay away from the lacquer coated stuff. I've ran still and it works fine. I had a problem with the lacquer stuff. After about 15 rounds a live round got stuck in the chamber when I tried pulling the charging handle to eject it. Probley due to a buled up of lacquer after the first 14.

locutus 05-09-2012 02:55 PM

I've used thousands of rounds of lacquer coated ammo with no problems of any kind.

If you think the lacquer will melt, try using a blowtorch on a fired case. It will eventually burn, but not melt.

I don't know where these old wives tales about steel cased ammo came from, but they're just that. Old wives tales.

lbwar15 05-09-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus
I've used thousands of rounds of lacquer coated ammo with no problems of any kind.

If you think the lacquer will melt, try using a blowtorch on a fired case. It will eventually burn, but not melt.

I don't know where these old wives tales about steel cased ammo came from, but they're just that. Old wives tales.

I dont know. Everything works fine even steel it's just the lacquer that gives me problems. Even if I haven't fired it and I just load up a mag and work the action it gets stuck. I got to snatch on it a few times to get it out. Maybe I should try some other brand. It has all bin the same kind of lacquer ammo.