Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Springfield M1A Transformation. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/springfield-m1a-transformation-95489/)

Jesse80 08-15-2013 10:13 PM

Springfield M1A Transformation.

1 Attachment(s)
The intent here is to show how you've changed and improved your M14/M1A. This is a picture of the weapon as purchased. I will be attaching more photos showing the progression of what I did to mine. Gel free to show before and after pictures of your M14/M1A's!!!

Jesse80 08-15-2013 10:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I chose a Springfield scope mount, ARMS throw lever rings, and a SWFA 10x42 scope. It has their patented mil dot retical, which is great for quick shot adjustment, and range estimation!!! The turret tracking is the best I've ever used! ( not saying a ton, but it does work great). Matches the retical very well!

Jesse80 08-15-2013 10:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
As you can tell, I've been documenting my steps over the past couple months for you guys. The next obstacle to overcome..... Rising the creek rest to match the scope. First I made a leather one, but I always felt it was a half ass attempt at curing the problem. So I purchased an M14 stock on line for about 25 bucks and decided to use it as the base for a permanent cure to the "raised cheek rest" problem.....

bwraven 08-15-2013 10:31 PM

Good choice on the SWFA. Great scope at a fair price. I have had one on my 50BMG for years.

Jesse80 08-15-2013 10:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I sanded it down, knocked out a hunk from the rear and got a piece of Bass wood to carve the cheek rest out of.

Jesse80 08-15-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwraven
Good choice on the SWFA. Great scope at a fair price. I have had one on my 50BMG for years.

I did a lot of online "research" before choosing it. It is all that people say.... Not a bit disappointed.

Jesse80 08-15-2013 10:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Carved and formed with carving tools, rasps, and sandpaper. Some minor adjustments with the dremal, and tapped a
Couple holes to do dowels.
(When doing hidden dowels, drill small holes in one side to start with, and slide a piece of pencil led in the snug hole and press the piece onto the stock, causing the lead to show the location for you to drill the opposing hole. )

Jesse80 08-15-2013 10:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
At this point I can hear the , WTF's... Wood doesn't match...... The stock will be cammoed, no worries...

I attached the cheek rest using JB weld.

Jesse80 08-15-2013 10:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Sand to form the flow of the cheek rest, and then i had to float out that (wish I could use it) hole in the stock that the selector switch for the M14 came out.

Layed the stock on wax paper, and used a pencil as a flow barrier..... Crude but it worked.

Then when it set up a bit I could use tape to retain the rest and mold it by digital pressure to about the way I wanted it.

Jesse80 08-15-2013 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now sand it down, and wash it under the sink. Let it dry, and wash it again.

Now..... We're ready for paint.