Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Springfield Armory or Rock Island Armory?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Springfield Armory or Rock Island Armory?

What is better a Springfield Armory GI Style 1911 or a Rock Island Armory (keep in mind future modifications may be made)? Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2007, 08:38 PM   #2

Default Well, the Springfield has lots of street crediblity,

but I like the Rock Island Armory pistols just fine. I'm just one of those klutzes that can't keep ANY 1911 platform running. They are all jamomatics for me. So, I play with Glocks.

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:16 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Definetly the Springfield. I know there are a lot of Rpck Island fans out there - but over the years, I've read so many posts of people who have bought them and the internals were so out of spec that the gun wouldn't work, and they couldn't change out any parts themselves because no standard parts would fit (due to the out of spec gun).

Never heard of that from Springfield. I have owned several Springfield 1911s over the years.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:37 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Springfield armory, Or Rock Island?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

I have owned both the Springfield armory, as well as I now own the Rock Island, and I'd say I'm partial to the Rock Island! As for the fellow that heard of out of spec stories, they are just that! These are made 100% interchangable with GI parts, as I have done in my own as well as 10 other Rock Island Gov and Commander sized guns! Remember , other than cost, the Springfield had a reciever made in Brazil. a good unit, but no better than the Rock Island copy!

Springfield has had a lot of "Inovations", but many are stolen or bouth from llama and I'm not impressed with a company that called Colt for this pratice, then does it themselves? I see good customer service from Springfield, funny how the cheaper Rock Island, has not hads to go back to repair? LOL OH well, I'll bet that other experience is not the same as my own, but I've been doing 1911 for a lot time and I know that works, and thats hype! As the old expression says 'Don't Buy the Hype", buy the right gun? Go with what works for you and yes, if your happier, switch out the internals, as I did with the Norenco 1911's years back, only to find that it was mostly in my head, the difference those replaced parts were?

Old 07-29-2007, 08:25 PM   #5

My Springer is my "go to" gun. It is a basic military model to which I have added and Ed Brown beavertail, an STI lightweight trigger with a trigger job for 3.5 lb letoff, a polished feed ramp, and a King's ambi safety. It is extremely reliable, even with SWCs. In addition, I own Kimbers and a Norinco. I have shot an RIA extensively, and have found nothing wrong with it.

For a first 1911, you may want to consider a Taurus PT 1911, if you can find one. For $600, it has just about all the bells and whistles you would ever want on a 1911, and it will spoil you quick.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:22 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think the quality control for Springfield is better than it is for the cast 1911s made in the Philippines (Rock Island, Charles Daily, and several other brands). Yes, their parts are interchangable - when they are not messed up. My point was that when they sell a messed up gun, it is REALLY messed up. Their mess ups are to make out of spec guns on occassion.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:21 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Springfield armory or Rock island?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

Shipwreck:

How many screwed up Rock Islands have you REALLY SEEN? I mean, yourself, not heard stories? I have owned my share of Springfield, and after seeing a lot of errors on thier part, mounted wrong plunger tube, a hammer that broke off and more? I have owned like 5 Rock island and seen 25 more that our shop as welkl as others sold, never had 1 go back?

On the other hand, we did have to send back 3 Springfield, Mostly the GI Model? I'd like to hear your actual experience, not just "What you heard"? Not trying to flame ya, just get the real skinny on what ya saw?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:20 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I do not own a Rock Island Armory 1911 - I can only attest to what I read. But, as I am on almost every gun forum humanly possible - And have been on gun sites for years - you tend to pick up the trend when U see tons of complaints. Sure, people tend to complain more than say good things.

But where there is smoke, there is fire. And, I've seen enough neg things said about them to keep me from ever rolling the dice to hope I get one w/o a problem.

I assume you like the brand a lot, so you don't like anyone saying anything neg. I never said I had personal knowledge - I did state that I had heard enough stories to keep me from recommending them. And, I'd never want one. Sorry. I would pick a Springfield Armory hands down over the RIA. Sorry. That's my opinion - and when I've seen this topic come up on 1911s sites, given a choice between the two, I am far from alone.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:02 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Springfield armory or Rock island?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

Shipwreck

Yes, I own a few Rock Island, and as well, over the past 20 years have owned alot of 1911A1 types of Pistols! I tend to go with what I can affoard, what works and what I have tested myself! I tend NOT TO listen to what others on boards say till I see the Problem myself, weather it's a Colt, Springfield or a Rock Island, YUP, I do thing a lot of these Lower end 1911's and I've seen few of any brand that didn't need a tweak or two? The Rocks seem to need less? Thats based on what I've seen and done, not on what I've read! I tend not to trust the written word of others, as you have no idea how they tested them? Did they even clean the gun when they got it? Did they use the right and decent ammo? Did they have a clue what they were doing, period? Again, No Flame, Just tend to trust what I see, that I test and what I've worked on and sold? I no longer sell as a Business, bnut thats not to mean I don't get a lot of looks at others 1911's? LOL

I've had real good luck with Springfield armory, But the older Brazinian frames were problematic! I've seen crappy components right out of the box, but not near Like COLT! If I have to change out another Plastic Mainsping Housing or swop a recoil spring gude for a customer or friend that asked WHY IS IT PLASTIC? Sprringfield and Rock island and hell Even LLama nver resorted to use Plastic parts on critical components! What I'm trying to say is that when I was fed up with Colt, I started looking outside the "COLT BOX", I looked to Springfield Armory, To Rock island, To Firestrorm ( LLAMA IN PLAIN BRON WRAPPER), in short, TO WHAT WORKS? Please don't get me started on ParaOrd, I've had a lot of good one (Early ON) and a few reaLLY bad ones later on! Kinber, Too much of a Crap shoot to know and too many $ for a gun that will probably not take GI types of parts! Wilson, well again too many $ and too many frills for stuff he doesn't even make?

In short, lots of good 45's out there, not bashing Springfield Armory, Not advocating Rock Island only, but as a vaible option! Hell, I'll use any 199 that works! I've seen some Wonderfull 1927 Argintine 45's that I wish I had bough when they were cheap, now they are as high as colts? Madness indeed!

Thanks for your thought and please don't think I'm raining on your parade, just asking what ya saw, what ya did and how you got to thinking that way?

Old 08-01-2007, 01:24 AM   #10

Default Go with the Rock Island

I have had quite a bit of experience with Springfield Armory pistols and just bought my first Rock Island .45. I'll never buy another Springfield pistol!!! The fit/finish of my mil spec RIA is equal to my mil spec Springfield. At least in my experience, the customer service at Armscor/RIA is light years ahead of Springfield Armory, too! My current Springfield had to go back to the manufacturer for problems right out of the box... and I STILL had to take it to my trusted gunsmith... I spent more in smithing than the cost of the pistol. My RIA is an awesome pistol (just got back from the range, in fact). I'm very, very happy with the mil-spec RIA and with their customer service... I might buy another one because they're such a great deal!
It's a lot of pistol for under $400!
MoA