Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Some Questions on the M1A.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Some Questions on the M1A.

And more specifically, the SA Socom 16. I've been doing a little bit of looking around trying to decide what my next rifle will be. I've got an AR-15, had an AR-10, and wanted something else in .308, but wanted to try something different than the AR-10. Prices have kept me away from the M1As in the past but I've decided price is gonna be a non-issue with my next rifle(within reason of course).

After doing some thinking on exactly what I want the rifle for, and looking around, I think I've pretty much decided on the Socom 16. I'm not looking for a target gun, I'm looking for something that will do minute-of-bad-gay out to say, 300-400 yards, without too much modification.

I have virtually no experience with the M1A, and I did some research but couldn't find answers to all my questions. The first is how does the Socom 16 perform with the shortened barrel and gas system, if the gas system is indeed shortened? I see that it has a different front sight post from the other M1A, being wider and a night sight. The night sight is cool I guess, although I don't anticipate doing too much shooting in low light conditions, but the question I have is this, how does it affect accuracy at longer ranges, say 200-250 yards? I plan on adding either a scout scope or Aimpoint at some point, maybe both, on DQ mounts, so those should take care of the longer ranges, but I'm just curious about the sight at the listed ranges. As stated before, I'm not looking for MOA, I just want the rifle to be capable of hits on man sized targets, and don't want the sight post to hold me back, but if it does I would assume that could be changed to a standard post?

Which brings me to my last question. With it being a scout rifle, will this affect the height rings that I should use? The scope I'm looking at only has a 28mm objective lens, so I was planning on going with Low rings, wasn't sure if it being mounted farther forward on the gun would have an affect on this.

And this one goes out to those of you who have or have had this rifle, *cough* M14sRock *cough*. What's your opinion of the rifle? For my needs, would I be better suited with one of the longer barreled rifles such as the scout squad? The shorter barrel and lighter weight are what's drawing me to this rifle over the others, just wanna make sure they won't be drawbacks.

Thanks for any and all help.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This video will answer you question regarding how it performs.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 09-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the video. I've watch a lot of Hickok45's video and I really like them, but the thing about this one is that Springfield sent him that rifle as a T&E gun, and while I says that his opinion is unbiased, I'm always a little leery of reviews done on test guns like that. The video still had some good info in it though.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #4

Likes Given: 1

Ok look at an FAL befor you make the decision on an M1A. Same recoil same rang better feel IMO. parts and mags are cheaper. And a good FAL can take a lot more abuse than a M1A.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:53 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with you. If you want to look at his M1A chapter 2 video or the original video that might help as well since he owns the M1A instead of it being a T and E firearm.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 09-06-2011, 01:24 AM   #6

Ah, I didn't know he had another set of videos. Ill go check those out. Thanks for the info.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 09-06-2011, 01:32 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Fred, the Socom rocks. Some of the early ones were problematic, but the issues are ironed out now. For a 400 yard rifle, it is tough to beat. And no issues out to 600. The front sight is wider than a standard M14 sight, but Smith Enterprise has a narrow blade for you.

If you want a short thumper, get a Socom.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-06-2011, 02:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Fred, the Socom rocks. Some of the early ones were problematic, but the issues are ironed out now. For a 400 yard rifle, it is tough to beat. And no issues out to 600. The front sight is wider than a standard M14 sight, but Smith Enterprise has a narrow blade for you.

If you want a short thumper, get a Socom.
That's exactly what I'd wanted to hear. I assume the front sight is a piece of cake to change, but what about the rear? I was reading on it again the Springfields website said that it has an "enlarged military aperature".

Thanks for the info btw.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 09-06-2011, 02:21 AM   #9

Also, I noticed you have JAE 100 stocks on a couple of your rifles. Obviously you like them or you wouldn't have gotten the second one, but how does the weight compare to the original stock? I'm looking to get some kind of aftermarket stock, and really like the looks and features of the JAE, just don't wanna make the rifle any heavier than I have to.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 09-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

The JAE adds a bit of weight. Not what I'd want on a Socom, but for my M25 and my scoped Armscorp they rock.

Adds, maybe, a little over a pound?

The front sight is just an Allen screw. The rear sight is super easy to do, but not as straight forward as the front. It basically unscrews and the new aperature goes back in. Easy. You only need to change the aperature, not the whole sight.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."