Solid Starter AR? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Solid Starter AR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdellors View Post
If you have a Cabelas by your house they are having Pre Black Friday Sales. A bushmaster carbine is $900. Here is a link to the gun itself on Bushmaster.

Bushmaster - Home Defense & Recreation Rifles
EDIT:The mag size is 30 not 10 like on Bushmasters' site

Also check out some local gun shops don't buys used unless you know what to look for in a damaged gun, some people love ripping off newer people. For example a junk barrel with messed up rifling. I'll make an AR buyers guide later. But price/quality ratio i would have to say DPMS and Bushmaster never messed with Daniel Defense stuff.
How complete of a list can you make if you haven't?

Talking price to quality ratio Colts new SP6920, BCM, and Daniel Defense. From my research DPMS is often times in the same price range as much better rifles yet has a much lower build quality and material make-up.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #22

Go with a colt. I don't believe in starter guns. Why get a cheap gun, then buy the better gun later? Go ahead and buy the lasting one now.

Need some great gear or ammunition for your gun? Check it out: http://www.strikehardgear.com/

Old 11-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #23

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdub
Go with a colt. I don't believe in starter guns. Why get a cheap gun, then buy the better gun later? Go ahead and buy the lasting one now.
I agree with you and i disagree, if you have the funds to buy a high end rifle from the start then thats the way to go. When i bought my first AR i didnt have alot of money to spend,i bought a RRA A2 carbine for 600.00 and was very happy with it.as time went on and i learned more about the rifle, i wanted a better rifle. My RRA was your basic model, had a permanent attached carry handle so i couldnt really do the optics options that i wanted. After a few years I was finally able to afford a better rifle so i went with the Stag. I couldnt be more happier with it.. You can only go with what your budget allows

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 11-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
I agree with you and i disagree, if you have the funds to buy a high end rifle from the start then thats the way to go. When i bought my first AR i didnt have alot of money to spend,i bought a RRA A2 carbine for 600.00 and was very happy with it.as time went on and i learned more about the rifle, i wanted a better rifle. My RRA was your basic model, had a permanent attached carry handle so i couldnt really do the optics options that i wanted. After a few years I was finally able to afford a better rifle so i went with the Stag. I couldnt be more happier with it.. You can only go with what your budget allows
I get what you're saying. I just think that people should save up, but I can see it lasting until you do have enough money. It's just my opinion on the matter.

To answer the asker's question, I will say that Rock River is pretty good for what it's for, It's just not a colt (I know, I'm super pro Colt).

Need some great gear or ammunition for your gun? Check it out: http://www.strikehardgear.com/

Old 11-03-2011, 03:56 AM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21577 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdub View Post
I get what you're saying. I just think that people should save up, but I can see it lasting until you do have enough money. It's just my opinion on the matter.

To answer the asker's question, I will say that Rock River is pretty good for what it's for, It's just not a colt (I know, I'm super pro Colt).
dub, people are going to buy what they can afford at the time they intend to buy. so lesser quality guns are going to sell too. plus some people just want a gun to shoot with and will buy a lesser expensive rifle. these other companies must be selling pretty good, because they are still selling guns. i say buy what you can afford and buy the best you can afford.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #26

Default the dilemma

Thank you all for your input. Many valid points have been made. The dilemma I face is that being a quality and reliability engineer, I know I will never be satisfied with anything less the best. So I have decided to save up for high quality firearms whether it be my first 1911, this AR, or sporting shotgun. That being said, I plan on only making one purchase of each, whether I stick to that plan later on, we will see.

In the AR world, just like in any firearm category, it looks like there are many opinions on which is the best (Stag, Daniel Defense, Colt, Bushmaster, etc). I have a long road of educating myself and gathering customer data/opinions like the ones you all have provided. I really appreciate your help, please keep the experiences and opinions coming. It is really cool to have so many well informed people helping me here.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If you're not going to be satisfied unless it's the best go w/ a KAC SR-15. They hold their value very well and are the cream of the crop.

Really do some research on the materials that have proven more reliable then find out what materials each company uses. Look at some feedback about each company than do research on who's giving that feedback. There are different levels of users. Some are commercial users (guys who hit up the range now and again), then there are guys who put 1k+ rounds through their AR a month in training for their job. One group will can tell you an AR is the best while the other might say it's a POS.

Also shop prices. Often times the prices are so close it's a wash and moving up into a quality AR will save you money. You won't end up w/ buyers remorse ones you learn more about ARs and find the awesome AR you thought you had is a slobbed together, overpriced, waste of time.

Figure out your intended purpose and expectations then go from there.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:17 AM   #28
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21577 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
MrWray, i pretty much did the same. i also felt that i should start with a very basic model AR. so i bought a Bushmaster M4A2 and have been very pleased with it. my thoughts when buying was to purchase a basic model that was pretty close to what i thought i wanted, and learn as much about shooting and operating it, plus maintaining it also. learn the basics first. now i have some clearer thoughts on what i want for the next one. i want to build one now! flat top A3 type upper in 6.8 SPC with a little more long range accuracy. with more of a dedicated scope for it and removable BUIS.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #29

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

MrWray, i pretty much did the same. i also felt that i should start with a very basic model AR. so i bought a Bushmaster M4A2 and have been very pleased with it. my thoughts when buying was to purchase a basic model that was pretty close to what i thought i wanted, and learn as much about shooting and operating it, plus maintaining it also. learn the basics first. now i have some clearer thoughts on what i want for the next one. i want to build one now! flat top A3 type upper in 6.8 SPC with a little more long range accuracy. with more of a dedicated scope for it and removable BUIS.
The rifle that you are talking about building will be an awesome rifle.. i would like to see it when you get done with it.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 11-08-2011, 07:05 AM   #30

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
The rifle that you are talking about building will be an awesome rifle.. i would like to see it when you get done with it.
By the way sir, your magpull esk ar is pretty damn fine lookin' if I don't say so myself.

Is she single? Can I take her on a date sir?