Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   socom 16 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/socom-16-a-2452/)

vegasjeepguy 10-25-2007 07:35 AM

socom 16
 
Currently have an M1A and thinking of getting a SOCOM 16...any thoughts?

rickrem700 10-25-2007 07:56 AM

Socom
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vegasjeepguy (Post 10887)
Currently have an M1A and thinking of getting a SOCOM 16...any thoughts?

It's just plain to heavy, looks good but to heavy, oh, and to expensive, yes to heavy and to expensive!!!

matt g 10-25-2007 08:40 AM

The gas system was significantly shortened in them. It has caused cycling issues in quite a few. I'd go with an AR chambered in 6.8mm or .308.

matt g 10-25-2007 04:19 PM

I really like the Scout Rifle concept and the M1A Scout/Squad is a good platform. You really don't have a much shorter barrel than you do with a full size M1A though. You might want to check out the Vltor or Sage stocks and put one of those on a full sized, or Scout model.

Vltor:
http://www.vltor.com/images/SocomGre...und615x432.jpg

Sage:
http://www.fulton-armory.com/Sage-Basic-400_50.jpg
http://www.fulton-armory.com/Sage_PreBan_50.jpg
http://www.fulton-armory.com/Mark14-...ing-600_50.jpg

The last Sage photo is on a Scout/Squad, the 2nd is on a full sized M14. The Vltor is on a SOCOM, so if you were to put it on a Scout/Squad, the barrel would be 6 inches longer. They look really slick.

vegasjeepguy 10-25-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 10890)
The gas system was significantly shortened in them. It has caused cycling issues in quite a few. I'd go with an AR chambered in 6.8mm or .308.

If I go with an AR, then I'll go with 5.56. The idea of the SOCOM is interchangable mags with my M1A and .308. Thanks for the input.

full auto 10-27-2007 04:11 AM

I have both the M1A and the SOCOM 16. The SOCOM has less recoil due to the excellent muzzle brake, and I haven't had any cycling issues at all. If I had to grab one rifle, I'd pick the SOCOM. Just my 2 cents.

matt g 10-27-2007 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by full auto (Post 10990)
I have both the M1A and the SOCOM 16. The SOCOM has less recoil due to the excellent muzzle brake, and I haven't had any cycling issues at all. If I had to grab one rifle, I'd pick the SOCOM. Just my 2 cents.

What is the date of manufacture on it?


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:43 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.