Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   so wal mart has AR15 rifles now? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/so-wal-mart-has-ar15-rifles-now-72754/)

gaspump86 09-19-2012 04:12 AM

so wal mart has AR15 rifles now?

I seen a sale add in the mail..... Wally world has a $900 sign AR and a $1100 colt AR

locutus 09-20-2012 10:10 PM

That's not a bad price for a Colt. I'm glad to see them selling AR-15s. Maybe if they sell enough of them, they will be able to lower the price a little.

And maybe they'll start carrying more bulk .223 ammo.:)

orangello 09-20-2012 10:44 PM

It occurs to me that Wally's might just have the political pull to loosen some regulations, if wally's sees it as an avenue to more profit.

Seven 09-21-2012 01:25 AM

I just can't help but wonder if firearms manufacturers cut corners to meet Walmarts 'low price' demands like electronic and other companies do.

silverado113 09-21-2012 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven (Post 949029)
I just can't help but wonder if firearms manufacturers cut corners to meet Walmarts 'low price' demands like electronic and other companies do.

Or the manufacturers lower their markup and expect the volume to lead to better profits.

gaspump86 09-21-2012 04:12 AM

Yes great comments! They are also open to the Christmas layaway program! Plus if you know an employee get their 10% discount! I do! They also sell some black hawk holsters and pouches

locutus 09-23-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven (Post 949029)

Absolutely not. They sell to WM cheaper because WM purchases in volume.

If you were buying guns from one of Colt's jobbers, you get entirely different prices ordering 50 units, than you would ordering 50,000 units.

There's a story in the shooting world that "Mr. Sam" Walton called Bill Ruger and wanted to buy 10-22s in stainless steel with synthetic stocks.

Bill Ruger said that hell would freeze over before he made a rifle with a sythetic stock, or from stainless steel. By golly real guns were made from blued steel and walnut.

"Mr. Sam" said that he'd contact Marlin. Ruger asked how many rifles "Mr. Sam" needed.

When "Mr. Sam" answered 50,000, to start with,. Ruger asked when he wanted them delivered.:D:D

So if you like stainless steel and/or synthetic stocks on your 10-22, you can thank Sam Walton, not Bill Ruger.:):)

Fathead00 09-24-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus

Absolutely not. They sell to WM cheaper because WM purchases in volume.

If you were buying guns from one of Colt's jobbers, you get entirely different prices ordering 50 units, than you would ordering 50,000 units.

There's a story in the shooting world that "Mr. Sam" Walton called Bill Ruger and wanted to buy 10-22s in stainless steel with synthetic stocks.

Bill Ruger said that hell would freeze over before he made a rifle with a sythetic stock, or from stainless steel. By golly real guns were made from blued steel and walnut.

"Mr. Sam" said that he'd contact Marlin. Ruger asked how many rifles "Mr. Sam" needed.

When "Mr. Sam" answered 50,000, to start with,. Ruger asked when he wanted them delivered.:D:D

So if you like stainless steel and/or synthetic stocks on your 10-22, you can thank Sam Walton, not Bill Ruger.:):)

Wow!! That's very interesting and very true in moving forward in any business. That would've been bad business letting the enemy have that big sale.

Flint Rock 09-24-2012 12:54 AM

My local Wal-Mart here in south Georgia is stocking Colt, S&W, Sig, Bushmaster, and DPMS (7.62 and 5.56). The fact is, they have a better selection of black rifles than most gun stores. Ammo prices are generally as good or better than anything I can find online. It all sounds good on the surface. What comes next is not so good. Small local dealers can't compete head to head with Wal-Mart and they will slowly leave the market or go under. Long run, less competition. The local new gun store will go the route of video stores. Our choices will in time boil down to pawn shops for used guns and online transfers or big box retailers for new guns.

locutus 09-25-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint Rock (Post 952288)
My local Wal-Mart here in south Georgia is stocking Colt, S&W, Sig, Bushmaster, and DPMS (7.62 and 5.56). The fact is, they have a better selection of black rifles than most gun stores. Ammo prices are generally as good or better than anything I can find online. It all sounds good on the surface. What comes next is not so good. Small local dealers can't compete head to head with Wal-Mart and they will slowly leave the market or go under. Long run, less competition. The local new gun store will go the route of video stores. Our choices will in time boil down to pawn shops for used guns and online transfers or big box retailers for new guns.

What you say is true. but that's the way the country moves forward economically. I remember growing up in a small town with "mom 'n'pop"
grocery stores. We ate a lot of beans and cornbread. safeway finally came to town. Yes, they put mom and pop out of business. But we started eating steak and potatoes after they arrived.

The volume dealers hurts mom and pop, but they give everyone else a better life.