Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > sniper type scope for Ar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Default sniper type scope for Ar

I'm looking for a sniper scope for my Ar15 that will be shooting .223 rounds. I'm wanting this to shoot out as far as possible with a 20 inch heavy barrel. I have two uppers, 1 in 7 twist and 1 in 9 twist. I'm wanting a dedicated scope built for the .223/5.56 rounds. I have heard there is one built strictly for the Ar15 platform and comes with a program for your computer that gives you estimates on your reloads and factory ammo. Anyone heard of such an animal?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 897 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Nikon makes the p-223 & m-223 series which are good. I have a fixed 6X power from primary arms that is made for the .223. I really like it.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 06-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2611 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 203

So, what exactly is a "sniper type scope"? Just a silly label some company advertising exec or mall ninja attached to an item. There really is no such thing.

I presume you are looking for a magnified optic that has easy to use drop compensation of some sort? The Nikons mentioned above are really nice, but what is your actual end use?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 06-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Any BDC type reticle will work for your AR, just depends on what you want to really do with it. The factory tests with the dots elevations will differentiate with your own barrel. So what you will have to do is go to a gun range and sight in your rifle with each dot on the reticle to know excactly what yardage they will be zeroed at. And test, test, test.