Sig AR-10 FTE - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Sig AR-10 FTE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6618 Times on 3516 Posts
Likes Given: 490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_CCW View Post
Well I shot it a little more yesterday after cleaning everything. The manual actually says to oil the gas regulator and the spring on the piston. I didn't fully disassemble the bolt to oil it so I'll try to do that when I have time.

One magazine will stovepipe over half the time. The other magazine only did it to me once in about 80 rounds. The problem magazine is labeled 20 LR and the good magazine is labeled 20 LR & SR. Once it even FTE without a magazine but the round had been loaded from the LR magazine if that matters. I tried setting the gas to the "adverse" setting and this did not help with the LR magazine. On the "supressed" setting the brass would not even extract all the way from the chamber. I did notice recoil was reduced though.

I also noticed that most of the brass is landing right next to me on the table just a foot or 2 from the ejection port. Some of the brass landed up to 5 ft in front of me at the 1 o'clock position. Last time I shot it without the muzzle brake the brass was flying at least 15 ft. I didn't get to cycle any empties by hand but I did notice when cycling loaded rounds by hand they seemed to extract just fine with either magazine. Also it was scratching the bullet of the live rounds pretty significantly when I did this. That can't be good for accuracy.
When they say to oil those parts that's fine those are external to the piston itself and its piston chamber.

At this point I would say take the brake off and try it like that see what happens. I'm not a huge fan of muzzle brakes they tend to cause more issues than they purpotedly solve.

Scratches on bullets and cases are normal in semi autos and don't affect accuracy. So long as materal isn't being actually shaved off. As in you seeing curls of copper in the action...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 04-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #12

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The other day I was shooting cheap Federal ammo (light blue box) and getting under 2" groups at 100 yards. The Winchester soft points I was shooting yesterday were giving me 3-4" groups. Some of it could have been me. When using the LR/SR magazine everything seemed fine really, other than brass not ejecting very far. I'm inclined to think the ejector spring is damaged or dirty.

I also noticed the LR/SR magazine has a patent number where as the LR magazine says patent pending, so I'm assuming this is an older design.

Last edited by Brad_CCW; 04-16-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
The other day I was shooting cheap Federal ammo (light blue box) and getting under 2" groups at 100 yards. The Winchester soft points I was shooting yesterday were giving me 3-4" groups. Some of it could have been me. When using the LR/SR magazine everything seemed fine really, other than brass not ejecting very far. I'm inclined to think the ejector spring is damaged or dirty.
Its entirely possible its gunked with old packing grease or oil.

Thats typical factory ammo groupings for most shooters.

Factory ammo is designed for bolt guns and factory ammo powders tend to be stick type which don't really burn well in semi autos.

I tend to load 308 using varget which is a stick powder that works well in semi autos and I also use w748 which is a ball powder specifically for semiauto.

I've never fired a single factory round out of my scar17 and I don't think I've ever bought a box of shelf ammo 308. So it might be an ammo issue too. I'm just not familiar with off the shelf factory ammo performance in 308.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-16-2014, 01:41 PM   #14

I'm going to do some reloads with IMR 3031 powder. My first batch didn't want to chamber fully. Using RCBS dies on a Hornady Progressive press. So I ordered some Hornady dies and headspace gauges.

I don't think there's any grease in the polymer magazine. The ejector could be gummed up though. I'll definitely try to clean the ejector and extractor and then test with the OEM flash hider this weekend.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3672 Times on 2523 Posts
Likes Given: 1810

Clean it as a matter of course. There is no debate about it. Especially the chamber and the piston assembly. Whatever dirt misses the chamber goes onto the piston. It's a zero sum game, pretty much.

Nothing wrong about trying different valve settings - as a temporary fix, in the field.

Most AR's are not ammo sensitive, except an occasional dislike for the East European steel casings. Your 716 really shouldn't be.

The rest (mags, extractor etc) as covered above.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Try 748. Its a superb semi auto powder. I use 3031 for compressed charges in 458winmag and 45-70. I like its tendency to be a little lower pressure under compression.

With 3031 if you have open space in the case (depending on charge weight volume) it may not burn evenly. Its a big stick powder and benefits most from using a drop tube to load the case evenly. Just dumping it in straight from the measure can leave voids and cause uneven burning.

When I use it I pour each charge after weighing using a funnel to trickle the charge into the case.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #17

Liked 81 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 36

My limited time with the 716 so far shows the gun should shoot anything. My research before buying, as well as many reviews, never showed anything else. Not sure about reloads, but anything off the shelf should fire fine without piston adjustments.
Sig 938 Extreme
SA 1911 SS Loaded Model
Sig 716 Patrol .308
Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .44 mag, 2.5" snubby
H&K VP9
CZ 527 Carbine 7.62X39
CZ 97BD
CZ 75 PCR

Old 04-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #18

I got the 3031 because it's on the faster end of the spectrum for .308 so I thought it would burn more fully with a 16" barrel. I have 8 pounds so when I use it up I'll take a look at the 748. Thanks.

Oh, and someone could have told me there is no ejector spring. Lol. The ejector pin is solid.

Last edited by Brad_CCW; 04-17-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
I got the 3031 because it's on the faster end of the spectrum for .308 so I thought it would burn more fully with a 16" barrel. I have 8 pounds so when I use it up I'll take a look at the 748. Thanks.
3031 likes 22-26" barrels

Old 04-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #20

So I finally got to eject a few empties by hand. Even if I pull back the charging handle very slowly they eject several feet with both magazines. They seem to have plenty of clearance from the next round in the magazine. I cleaned the extractor but it didn't appear dirty enough to affect the function. Did have a little too much oil in there.