Sig 556 Questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Sig 556 Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sig 556 Questions

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and in the course of discussion the topic of firearms and money came up. He mentioned that his wife wanted him to clear out some of his less used pieces to free up some cash. He thought I might be intrested in a Sig 556 that he has. I know little about rifles and absolutely nothing about this particular one. The picture he showed me was reminiscent of an AR-15, but with a shorter barrel and no stock (though he has one, in the picture it was removed) Chambered in .223 He has ran only one magazine through it. He's asking $1200 for it with 2 magazines. Is it a good rifle to buy? Is the price right? He claims they're slightly uncommon and that it could possibly be worth more in the future. I trust this guy pretty completely, but he is a businessman so he has been known to varnish the truth for his own benefit. It's just quite a bit of cash for a firearm that would likely not see much use, but If it's a good buy and a chance to help out a buddy, I will. Advice please.

Last edited by Kain; 11-20-2010 at 06:41 PM. Reason: typo

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5738 Times on 2997 Posts
Likes Given: 379

they are uncommon because they pricey for what they are and not terribly popular. i doubt they will grow in value. you can get a lot more rifle than a sig556 brand new for 1200$ in a more versitile AR15.

they sell new/slightly used from 900-1200$ on gunbroker

blue book has a lot of adds for diffrent options. depending on the exact version he has it could be worth more than 1200$

im not sure if they work with regular AR mags or not

i didnt care for the feel or the placement of various controls. purely personal pref.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 11-20-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #3

Default sig 556

I have a sig556, it is piston driven instead of gas inpingment. Takes any AR mag. Prices range from 1,000 to 1,700 it depends on the furniture and sight combination. I'ts a very good rifle, but if you don't think you will use it much then pass it up and get something you will use.