Sig 5.56 Patrol, Keltec su 16 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Sig 5.56 Patrol, Keltec su 16

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 03:44 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Clem, I can understand your feelings but mjkeat is right, there is no comparison between the early M16 and today's ARs. And as an engineer you should reconsider your opinion of the original Stoner/ArmaLite design. Colt and the DOD made a lot of inept changes that crippled the original design. It wasn't until around 1968 before chrome plating and proper ammo/magazines and cleaning supplies began trickling to the troops. I did carry an M16 in Nam in 1968 and it did work but I kept that sucker clean. I have to say I was glad to give up my M14 for it. But the ARs I have today are better than what I carried then.
I believe a good piston AR is superior to the direct gas system. I remember hearing stories of Iraq summer engagements where the ambient heat kept the guns from cooling and many/some/whatever choked in the heat. I still don’t like the steel bolt carrier sliding in the aluminum receiver. I know the Army Ordnance crippled the AR by taking clearances out of the design. Perhaps it was deliberate to make the not-invented-here rifle fail. Don’t know. The design has too many little parts. There are just too many things I don’t care for, and I have what I consider is a viable alternative: the SIG 556. Some will agree with me. Some won't. That is fine too.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:54 AM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem

I believe a good piston AR is superior to the direct gas system. I remember hearing stories of Iraq summer engagements where the ambient heat kept the guns from cooling and many/some/whatever choked in the heat. I still don’t like the steel bolt carrier sliding in the aluminum receiver. I know the Army Ordnance crippled the AR by taking clearances out of the design. Perhaps it was deliberate to make the not-invented-here rifle fail. Don’t know. The design has too many little parts. There are just too many things I don’t care for, and I have what I consider is a viable alternative: the SIG 556. Some will agree with me. Some won't. That is fine too.
I've heard stories of unicorns and talking squirrels. Do I believe everything I've heard? I'd take a shot out raggedy M4 over a SIG 556. If I was shooting suppressed and wanted a piston gun I'd go LWRC.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-04-2012, 04:34 AM   #23

You guys are getting boring. Pm each other for your pissing matches.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:36 AM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierram37
You guys are getting boring. Pm each other for your pissing matches.
So why take the time to post a response such as that?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #25

Likes Given: 4

Does all that answer your question OP? Lol. Now we know all about the pros and cons of the su-16 and the 556

Old 03-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #26

Bullitsam the answer is stay away from both. While the SU is cheap, its well, cheap. The SIG while nice, if i went that way would probably go with a S&W M&P15. The Sport is downright inexpensive but Im not sure about the melonite vs stainless issue. Good info from posters here and over time I will settle on where to put down my cash as I am in no rush. I'm back to 5.56 vs 7.62x39. In the meantime I did pick up a 1942 Mosin for $89, cleaned up the Cosmo and fired a couple rounds so that will tide me over for a bit. When it stops raining I'll get it out and shoot some more. My first bolt gun so it was fun pulling it apart and putting it back together.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1963 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Actually there was not much on the SU16. No real answers to the ops question. I have looked at them and handled them but have not fired them. The only one that appeals to me is the SU16C which has the heavier barrel. Those pencil thin barrels on the other models just look like overheat in a hurry. Most of the comments I have read or heard tend to be good. They are piston operated and take AR mags. The biggest negative I have heard is they feel cheap.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."