Sig 5.56 Patrol, Keltec su 16 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Sig 5.56 Patrol, Keltec su 16

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 04:52 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hey everyone, I'm in need of some major help. I need a carbine, shortest overall length, as little recoil as possible and lots of rails for accessories. Guns I've looked at just to give you an idea are the PS90, CX4 storm, FS2000, HK USC. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It will be for home defense and target shooting. And I live in NY

Old 02-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #12

Liked 2570 Times on 1671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem
I understand vast improvements have been made. I understand they work. I still have this visceral dislike for the platform. It is a personal problem for me. That said, there are still mechanical issues. I prefer the AK platform, of which the Galil and 550 series are what I consider the top of the line. I prefer the op handle attached to the oprod. I grew up with the M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbine, M-14. I also have a Mini-14. I prefer the paddle mag release of the M-14, AK-47, Galil, Mini-14 and 550/551, but to get the ubiquitous AR mags, I have to go with the AR type button mag release. I can live with that rather than proprietary mags.

Before all the hate mail arrives, just remember it is merely a personal preference. My preference doesn’t count any more than anyone else’s.
Respectfully, I see your point. American spirit arms has an ar platform with a direct charging handle. Figure out a way to add a paddle mag release and we might have a good blend. Maybe a hybrid...

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 02-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyk29 View Post
Hey everyone, I'm in need of some major help. I need a carbine, shortest overall length, as little recoil as possible and lots of rails for accessories. Guns I've looked at just to give you an idea are the PS90, CX4 storm, FS2000, HK USC. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It will be for home defense and target shooting. And I live in NY
How about you start a new thread as to not highjack this one.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-01-2012, 01:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

How about you start a new thread as to not highjack this one.
Good idea, I was having trouble starting one but now it worked thanks

Old 03-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #15
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Can't argue with you in the least. The fact of the matter in general the AK platform is better. It's a simpler and more reliable design and at a close range I would rather have the the AK. At a longer range though the AK is definately not as accurate. And personal preference is always the first thing to look at when picking a gun.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
Can't argue with you in the least. The fact of the matter in general the AK platform is better. It's a simpler and more reliable design and at a close range I would rather have the the AK. At a longer range though the AK is definately not as accurate. And personal preference is always the first thing to look at when picking a gun.
Personal preference does play large role. I just can't get the speed out of my AK that I can the AR. They are making strides to bring the AK up to speed.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a Sig 556 and the bolt carrier and mechanism is far superior to the AR system. It is similar in function to the AK and is very robust and will fire many rounds long after the AR will fail to fire due to carbon fouling. It is just the nature of the beast. I was in the Army for 24 years and very familiar with the M-16.

The Sig is as accurate as the AR. The only drawback to it is that it is a little front heavy due to the piston system.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #18
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Many of the ARs are piston driven now. It is definately a better system than direct impingement and you don't get many of the heat related issues. The bolt actually stays cool to the touch after many shots

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:52 AM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptco911 View Post
I have a Sig 556 and the bolt carrier and mechanism is far superior to the AR system. It is similar in function to the AK and is very robust and will fire many rounds long after the AR will fail to fire due to carbon fouling. It is just the nature of the beast. I was in the Army for 24 years and very familiar with the M-16.

The Sig is as accurate as the AR. The only drawback to it is that it is a little front heavy due to the piston system.
According to who?

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 03-04-2012, 02:54 AM   #20

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem View Post
I have a SIG 556 Patrol and I like it very much. I have a personal thing against the AR-15 stuff, and I don't think I would bother with the KelTec, but that's just me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem View Post
You want to know what I don't like about the AR-15 platform? Here it is. As an engineer, the thing just pisses me off. Of course, as a VN era Marine (who didn't go to VN), the Marines paid a heavy price for that innovation. Of course, it is merely my opinion, and doesn't matter to anyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I wasn't there either but the M16s of that era are an entirely different creature than the ones of today. I respect your opinion, it's just based on old information.
Clem, I can understand your feelings but mjkeat is right, there is no comparison between the early M16 and today's ARs. And as an engineer you should reconsider your opinion of the original Stoner/ArmaLite design. Colt and the DOD made a lot of inept changes that crippled the original design. It wasn't until around 1968 before chrome plating and proper ammo/magazines and cleaning supplies began trickling to the troops. I did carry an M16 in Nam in 1968 and it did work but I kept that sucker clean. I have to say I was glad to give up my M14 for it. But the ARs I have today are better than what I carried then.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.