Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Sig 5.56 Patrol, Keltec su 16

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sig 5.56 Patrol, Keltec su 16

Have a bead on both from a seller. Interested in the kel tec from a low cost entry point and have heard good things vs. hipoint arms. $480 with an NcStar 3-9x40r rubber armor scope mounted, sling and a couple 30 round mags. 600 rounds through it.

He also has a sig556 Patrol, sling and couple extra 30 rd mags as well. Rifle has about 200 through it and less than a year old. $980

So, I understand the quality diff between the two. What are thoughts on the sig 556? Accuracy? Ease of maintenance, parts...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Look around a little more. For $980 you can get a new BCM, Colt, Spikes, PSA, etc. Personally I'd rather have any of those than the SIG. Do some comparison, that's a lot of money.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #3

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I have a SIG 556 Patrol and I like it very much. I have a personal thing against the AR-15 stuff, and I don't think I would bother with the KelTec, but that's just me.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem
I have a SIG 556 Patrol and I like it very much. I have a personal thing against the AR-15 stuff, and I don't think I would bother with the KelTec, but that's just me.
What is there not to like about the most versatile weapons system on the planet?

Pick a caliber or configuration and set aside 15 minutes and you're good to go.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #5

Likes Given: 4

Anybody who owns an su-16? I really like the bipod hand guard and the mag storage in the stock but I really want to hear from someone who's shot one and held one. Also anybody know where they are in stock online?

Old 02-29-2012, 12:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
What is there not to like about the most versatile weapons system on the planet?

Pick a caliber or configuration and set aside 15 minutes and you're good to go.
You want to know what I don't like about the AR-15 platform? Here it is. As an engineer, the thing just pisses me off. Of course, as a VN era Marine (who didn't go to VN), the Marines paid a heavy price for that innovation. Of course, it is merely my opinion, and doesn't matter to anyone else.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:12 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:

You want to know what I don't like about the AR-15 platform? Here it is. As an engineer, the thing just pisses me off. Of course, as a VN era Marine (who didn't go to VN), the Marines paid a heavy price for that innovation. Of course, it is merely my opinion, and doesn't matter to anyone else.
I wasn't there either but the M16s of that era are an entirely different creature than the ones of today. I respect your opinion, it's just based on old information.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 02-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

You are absolutely correct we lost a lot of good men to early design flaws and lack of platform knowledge. Most of the guys were sent into the field without a cleaning kit believing the guns flawless and had no upkeep. The platform has had a lot of improvements over the years though.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:41 AM   #9

I understand vast improvements have been made. I understand they work. I still have this visceral dislike for the platform. It is a personal problem for me. That said, there are still mechanical issues. I prefer the AK platform, of which the Galil and 550 series are what I consider the top of the line. I prefer the op handle attached to the oprod. I grew up with the M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbine, M-14. I also have a Mini-14. I prefer the paddle mag release of the M-14, AK-47, Galil, Mini-14 and 550/551, but to get the ubiquitous AR mags, I have to go with the AR type button mag release. I can live with that rather than proprietary mags.

Before all the hate mail arrives, just remember it is merely a personal preference. My preference doesn’t count any more than anyone else’s.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:07 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I understand vast improvements have been made. I understand they work. I still have this visceral dislike for the platform. It is a personal problem for me. That said, there are still mechanical issues. I prefer the AK platform, of which the Galil and 550 series are what I consider the top of the line. I prefer the op handle attached to the oprod. I grew up with the M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbine, M-14. I also have a Mini-14. I prefer the paddle mag release of the M-14, AK-47, Galil, Mini-14 and 550/551, but to get the ubiquitous AR mags, I have to go with the AR type button mag release. I can live with that rather than proprietary mags.

Before all the hate mail arrives, just remember it is merely a personal preference. My preference doesn’t count any more than anyone else’s.
No hate mail. Just a shame, you're missing out

-John Ruskin

Quote: