Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Sig 5.56 Patrol, Keltec su 16 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/sig-5-56-patrol-keltec-su-16-a-58939/)

sierram37 02-28-2012 12:15 AM

Sig 5.56 Patrol, Keltec su 16

Have a bead on both from a seller. Interested in the kel tec from a low cost entry point and have heard good things vs. hipoint arms. $480 with an NcStar 3-9x40r rubber armor scope mounted, sling and a couple 30 round mags. 600 rounds through it.

He also has a sig556 Patrol, sling and couple extra 30 rd mags as well. Rifle has about 200 through it and less than a year old. $980

So, I understand the quality diff between the two. What are thoughts on the sig 556? Accuracy? Ease of maintenance, parts...

mjkeat 02-28-2012 12:53 AM

Look around a little more. For $980 you can get a new BCM, Colt, Spikes, PSA, etc. Personally I'd rather have any of those than the SIG. Do some comparison, that's a lot of money.

Clem 02-28-2012 02:31 PM

I have a SIG 556 Patrol and I like it very much. I have a personal thing against the AR-15 stuff, and I don't think I would bother with the KelTec, but that's just me.

mjkeat 02-28-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clem
I have a SIG 556 Patrol and I like it very much. I have a personal thing against the AR-15 stuff, and I don't think I would bother with the KelTec, but that's just me.

What is there not to like about the most versatile weapons system on the planet?

Pick a caliber or configuration and set aside 15 minutes and you're good to go.

bullittsam159 02-28-2012 10:52 PM

Anybody who owns an su-16? I really like the bipod hand guard and the mag storage in the stock but I really want to hear from someone who's shot one and held one. Also anybody know where they are in stock online?

Clem 02-29-2012 12:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 723421)
What is there not to like about the most versatile weapons system on the planet?

Pick a caliber or configuration and set aside 15 minutes and you're good to go.

You want to know what I don't like about the AR-15 platform? Here it is. As an engineer, the thing just pisses me off. Of course, as a VN era Marine (who didn't go to VN), the Marines paid a heavy price for that innovation. Of course, it is merely my opinion, and doesn't matter to anyone else.

mjkeat 02-29-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

You want to know what I don't like about the AR-15 platform? Here it is. As an engineer, the thing just pisses me off. Of course, as a VN era Marine (who didn't go to VN), the Marines paid a heavy price for that innovation. Of course, it is merely my opinion, and doesn't matter to anyone else.

I wasn't there either but the M16s of that era are an entirely different creature than the ones of today. I respect your opinion, it's just based on old information.

mountainman13 02-29-2012 01:14 AM

You are absolutely correct we lost a lot of good men to early design flaws and lack of platform knowledge. Most of the guys were sent into the field without a cleaning kit believing the guns flawless and had no upkeep. The platform has had a lot of improvements over the years though.

Clem 02-29-2012 01:41 AM

I understand vast improvements have been made. I understand they work. I still have this visceral dislike for the platform. It is a personal problem for me. That said, there are still mechanical issues. I prefer the AK platform, of which the Galil and 550 series are what I consider the top of the line. I prefer the op handle attached to the oprod. I grew up with the M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbine, M-14. I also have a Mini-14. I prefer the paddle mag release of the M-14, AK-47, Galil, Mini-14 and 550/551, but to get the ubiquitous AR mags, I have to go with the AR type button mag release. I can live with that rather than proprietary mags.

Before all the hate mail arrives, just remember it is merely a personal preference. My preference doesn’t count any more than anyone else’s.

mjkeat 02-29-2012 02:07 AM

Quote:

I understand vast improvements have been made. I understand they work. I still have this visceral dislike for the platform. It is a personal problem for me. That said, there are still mechanical issues. I prefer the AK platform, of which the Galil and 550 series are what I consider the top of the line. I prefer the op handle attached to the oprod. I grew up with the M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbine, M-14. I also have a Mini-14. I prefer the paddle mag release of the M-14, AK-47, Galil, Mini-14 and 550/551, but to get the ubiquitous AR mags, I have to go with the AR type button mag release. I can live with that rather than proprietary mags.

Before all the hate mail arrives, just remember it is merely a personal preference. My preference doesn’t count any more than anyone else’s.

No hate mail. Just a shame, you're missing out :)