Side charging bolt

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Side charging bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Side charging bolt

Hello, I'm new here and apologize for not starting intro thread. I made a hasty decision and put down a good % of money for a side charging 6.5 grendel. My concerns are- if your in the field /bush a lot and like to hunt, would the side charger be susceptible to failure because of dirt accumulations ? It does not have a dust cover!!! Anyone have a solid opinion on the matter. I'm going to have to cancel the order and lose some money because I get the feeling it would fail way to quickly when in the woods.
Should I be worried? I'm new to the platform and have gotten different info. The maker says it will be fine- " lots of battle rifles have side charging handle without a cover " but this one seems to have some spaces where the bolt is. Any advice is appreciated.

image.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #2

Liked 1125 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 740

I personally wouldn't worry about it. Some AR's don't even HAVE a dust cover. Where do you hunt? A desert? In mud puddles? How's enough stuff going to get in there and make it fail? Cool upper, BTW. Never seen one like it.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:15 AM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2409 Times on 1303 Posts
Likes Given: 694

Other than AR's most semi auto rifles and shotguns have the side charging handle. Even the AK has a side charging handle.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:35 AM   #4

Liked 438 Times on 253 Posts

You'll be fine in the woods with that upper. Unless you plan on torture testing it, normal woods use shouldn't cause malfunctions. Do you have a link to that upper? I've never seen one like that and I kind of like the way it looks.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:37 AM   #5

JTJ-or anyone but take a look at what seems to be spaces on the upper sides of the bolt vers the h&k or fn fal which have what looks like a pretty tight fit. Do you think my upper may be more prone to dirt build up than the others? I'm i just over thinking. I want to hunt and plink around with it- it should be fine but even though I'm not really into all this shtf stuff, I do wonder if it would hold up in that scenario - thanks

Last edited by Duster; 06-05-2014 at 12:57 AM.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:11 AM   #6

I think it will be fine. I find it hard to believe they would produce something that couldn't handle normal outdoor conditions. They torture test Ar's all the time by dunking them in mud, water, sand etc and then fire them. I doubt your rifle will ever encounter conditions bad enough to cause malfunctions from that much debris getting into the action. Aren't there any user reviews on that upper you could check out? Research is your friend.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:13 AM   #7

Hell Im bored and curious. Give us a manufacture name/model number and ill look it up myself lol.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:24 AM   #8

I talked to Chet- he said he can configure the rifle anyway I want. He assures the way it's shown will work fine but since I'm a fickler, were going to discuss any options. He's a great guy. I'm i allowed to give his info out. He deals with .223,6.8,6.5,.300. Thanks-Mark

Old 06-05-2014, 01:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
I talked to Chet- he said he can configure the rifle anyway I want. He assures the way it's shown will work fine but since I'm a fickler, were going to discuss any options. He's a great guy. I'm i allowed to give his info out. He deals with .223,6.8,6.5,.300. Thanks-Mark
Huh? Who's Chet? A rep from the company? What company?Can we have a manufacturer or some kind of website so we can further research it? You're being super vague with details. How are we supposed to help you if we know NOTHING about the upper you're buying?! I give up.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:31 AM   #10

Ok since you asked. He is relatively new. His site shows the .223 but I I said , he deals with multiple calibers
http://www.abspre.com/site/90f990e8c9b84fc59b6c71e3db447c84/default?url=http%3A%2F%2Fabspre.com%2F20XLLP-223WLD_Carbon_Fiber.html#2782
And
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=420357587