Should I get a keltec su-16 instead of an AR?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Should I get a keltec su-16 instead of an AR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Should I get a keltec su-16 instead of an AR?

I've heard they are alot more bang for the buck and I would just spend all my timne cleaning my AR when I could be shooting sub moa with the kel tec out of the box for half the price. ??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What you talk'n about Willis? If I like smiley faces I've give this post 5. I'm going to climb back into the bunker now.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

That may be a fine rifle, but it looks like an AR15 (or maybe a Saiga) boinked a really ugly folding pocket knife, maybe one that it was related to too closely. uggh

Just get an SKS.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 10-01-2010 at 05:14 PM.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I have both and can tell you not to compare the two.

The Kel Tec is a good little rifle but not an AR. The Kel Tec has a composite receiver and while it shoots great I would not trust it's longevity in hostile conditions. Also the cleaning of the Kel Tec is no snap either. The bolt assembly is very finicky about removal and reinstallation. And the design of the receiver does not allow a bore brush to be used on the chamber. I had to bend a cleaning rod to even get a cleaning patch in the chamber for basic clean and oil. I spend as long or longer to clean the SU as I do my AR, and since I clean after I shoot...

Price wise the Kel Tec is about 4 to 500, but an AR can be built for about 650 so if I could only have one I would save for the AR. I got the Kel Tec to carry so if Calif LEO stop me I don't have to worry about my AR being gun grabbed. To me the Kel Tec is expendable.

Better to compare the SU to the Mini-14 and then I think the 14 would win.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Last edited by Jo da Plumbr; 10-01-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
I have both and can tell you not to compare the two.

The Kel Tec is a good little rifle but not an AR. The Kel Tec has a composite receiver and while it shoots great I would not trust it's longevity in hostel conditions. Also the cleaning of the Kel Tec is no snap either. The bolt assembly is very finicky about removal and reinstallation. And the design of the receiver does not allow a bore brush to be used on the chamber. I had to bend a cleaning rod to even get a cleaning patch in the chamber for basic clean and oil. I spend as long or longer to clean the SU as I do my AR, and since I clean after I shoot...

Price wise the Kel Tec is about 4 to 500, but an AR can be built for about 650 so if I could only have one I would save for the AR. I got the Kel Tec to carry so if Calif LEO stop me I don't have to worry about my AR being gun grabbed. To me the Kel Tec is expendable.

Better to compare the SU to the Mini-14 and then I think the 14 would win.
That's the kind of info I was expecting and lookinmg for. Thanks Jo.

BTW, I'm not even considering getting a kel tec su-16 over an AR-15.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
That's the kind of info I was expecting and lookinmg for. Thanks Jo.

BTW, I'm not even considering getting a kel tec su-16 over an AR-15.
Yeah... I knew that.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."