Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Should I get a keltec su-16 instead of an AR? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/should-i-get-keltec-su-16-instead-ar-32488/)

Gojubrian 10-01-2010 04:56 PM

Should I get a keltec su-16 instead of an AR?

I've heard they are alot more bang for the buck and I would just spend all my timne cleaning my AR when I could be shooting sub moa with the kel tec out of the box for half the price. ??

:p ;) :rolleyes: :D

hunter Joe 10-01-2010 05:08 PM

What you talk'n about Willis? If I like smiley faces I've give this post 5. I'm going to climb back into the bunker now.

orangello 10-01-2010 05:09 PM

That may be a fine rifle, but it looks like an AR15 (or maybe a Saiga) boinked a really ugly folding pocket knife, maybe one that it was related to too closely. uggh

Just get an SKS.

Jo da Plumbr 10-01-2010 05:17 PM

I have both and can tell you not to compare the two.

The Kel Tec is a good little rifle but not an AR. The Kel Tec has a composite receiver and while it shoots great I would not trust it's longevity in hostile conditions. Also the cleaning of the Kel Tec is no snap either. The bolt assembly is very finicky about removal and reinstallation. And the design of the receiver does not allow a bore brush to be used on the chamber. I had to bend a cleaning rod to even get a cleaning patch in the chamber for basic clean and oil. I spend as long or longer to clean the SU as I do my AR, and since I clean after I shoot...

Price wise the Kel Tec is about 4 to 500, but an AR can be built for about 650 so if I could only have one I would save for the AR. I got the Kel Tec to carry so if Calif LEO stop me I don't have to worry about my AR being gun grabbed. To me the Kel Tec is expendable.

Better to compare the SU to the Mini-14 and then I think the 14 would win.

Gojubrian 10-01-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr (Post 361113)
I have both and can tell you not to compare the two.

The Kel Tec is a good little rifle but not an AR. The Kel Tec has a composite receiver and while it shoots great I would not trust it's longevity in hostel conditions. Also the cleaning of the Kel Tec is no snap either. The bolt assembly is very finicky about removal and reinstallation. And the design of the receiver does not allow a bore brush to be used on the chamber. I had to bend a cleaning rod to even get a cleaning patch in the chamber for basic clean and oil. I spend as long or longer to clean the SU as I do my AR, and since I clean after I shoot...

Price wise the Kel Tec is about 4 to 500, but an AR can be built for about 650 so if I could only have one I would save for the AR. I got the Kel Tec to carry so if Calif LEO stop me I don't have to worry about my AR being gun grabbed. To me the Kel Tec is expendable.

Better to compare the SU to the Mini-14 and then I think the 14 would win.

That's the kind of info I was expecting and lookinmg for. Thanks Jo.

BTW, I'm not even considering getting a kel tec su-16 over an AR-15.

Jo da Plumbr 10-01-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojubrian (Post 361172)
That's the kind of info I was expecting and lookinmg for. Thanks Jo.

BTW, I'm not even considering getting a kel tec su-16 over an AR-15.

Yeah... I knew that.