Should I buy an AK-47 or an AR-15? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Should I buy an AK-47 or an AR-15?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 03:56 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
AR is easier to repair and the handguards dont burst into flames from sustained fire.

the following is full auto but the principle is the same.

YouTube - Burning AK47 - 300 Rounds & on Fire

Old 01-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #12

Liked 714 Times on 465 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

OK, after days of deliberation and endless lines of suggestions, I think a will go with the... AR-15, my cousin an uncle, both United States Marines had good points, "If you want to shoot at stuff, get the AK, but if you want to shoot at SOMETHING, get the AR." My cousin also said "AK-47, for when you absolutely have to kill everyone in the room... I have no need for that, do you?" LOL, anyway, the AK is still on my gotta have list, just moved it to the back burner for now. Thanks a lot guys, you were a major help. Now if only I could decide between another 1911, an HK USP .45 or a Beretta 92F, thanks again.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

كافر

Old 02-01-2011, 04:17 AM   #13

AR-15
  • Better ergonomics
  • More accurate
  • Ammo slightly more expensive
  • Less reliable
  • Very versatile

AK-47
  • Extremely reliable
  • Cheaper ammo

I know there are some more aspects that the AK-47 is better in. It aint really fair to compare the AR-15 (5.56x45) to the AK-47 (7.62x39). The caliber that they shoot aint really comparable. You may want to consider an AK-74. They shoot 5.45x39 and are better in accuracy than the 7.62x39.

AK-74 compared with AK-47
  • Better accuracy
  • Lighter weight
  • Faster rate of fire
  • Greater muzzle velocity
  • Even cheaper ammo
  • Only cost slightly more than the 47

I hope this helps!

-

I keep my life basic with three steps; Prime, Propellant, and Projectile.

Last edited by v757b; 02-01-2011 at 04:20 AM.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:28 AM   #14

Interesting comparison.

A guy- "Sturmgewehr" - who posts nice Youtube videos also described problems with his first Tantal AK-74 clone, from where else (?) but Century.
The story is at either 'THR' or 'Thefiringline'.

After seeing numerous rounds 'keyhole' at 100 yards or less, he called Century and they acknowledged their awareness that many barrels were produced with bores which are too large.

Claims made by him and others are that Century's customer warranty Begins when the gun is shipped from the Factory. It began months before you buy it in a store, in many cases.

He was very fortunate in that Century paid for a replacement barrel, with the proper bore size. They did not do this for other customers.
The many dozens of problems with Century 'products' steered me away from any semi-autos with their name.
Good luck to you guys/gals.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #15

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laufer View Post
Interesting comparison.

A guy- "Sturmgewehr" - who posts nice Youtube videos also described problems with his first Tantal AK-74 clone, from where else (?) but Century.
The story is at either 'THR' or 'Thefiringline'.

After seeing numerous rounds 'keyhole' at 100 yards or less, he called Century and they acknowledged their awareness that many barrels were produced with bores which are too large.

Claims made by him and others are that Century's customer warranty Begins when the gun is shipped from the Factory. It began months before you buy it in a store, in many cases.

He was very fortunate in that Century paid for a replacement barrel, with the proper bore size. They did not do this for other customers.
The many dozens of problems with Century 'products' steered me away from any semi-autos with their name.
Good luck to you guys/gals.
This does not surprise me in the least. Century is famous for turning out some very questionable products (but some very good ones, as well).

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #16

Here it is in a nutshell for you. In my mos I was lucky enought to have used both . I actually like both, not equal, but that is because I can run my AR better. However I can see how somepoeple can go for the ak over the ar. There are myths to both that you need to look at. 1. Ar is unreliable. Nonsence. My M&P optics ready was fired right out of the box without any further lube or cleaning . 500 rounds of nasty wolf ammo was used with no glich. 2. AK is innacurate. nonsence. My old Norinco shoots 2 inches all day off of bags with iron junk sites. I have no problem with anything in the accuracy dept on them.

So My advice.
Jump off the coolaid bandwagon and just get what YOU feel comfortable with. If YOU like it run it. Your uncles and everyone here is not buying it for you so get what YOU want.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #17

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have 2 pre-ban AKs and 2 pre-ban Colt AR15s. The AR15s are by far my favorites. The short stocked AKs are good for close in urban warfare which I try to avoid. The AR15 is a good long range useful, tough little rifle.

DK