Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > setting head space on M14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 04:29 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default setting head space on M14

How difficult is it to set the head space on an M14 for a mechanically inclined novice? Does timing need to be set on a semi-auto M14?

I'm beginning to consider an LRB double lugged receiver, rather than a full SEI built rifle. I need something to tinker with when I'm not at work.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #2

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
How difficult is it to set the head space on an M14 for a mechanically inclined novice? Does timing need to be set on a semi-auto M14?

I'm beginning to consider an LRB double lugged receiver, rather than a full SEI built rifle. I need something to tinker with when I'm not at work.
This is the only thing I do not feel comfortable doing myself when it comes to an M14/M1A. I would recomend that you have this done by a smith who knows how to do it, or you could send your bbl, and bolt to LRB Arms, and they will do it for you.
It will be worth it in the long run, and you will not have to worry about an unsafe rifle when you fire it.

What kind of build are you planning?

Grunt

Old 03-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Building from scratch, if you are using a chrome lined bbl, getting the headspace set may require swapping out several bolts to get it right.

If the bbl is not chrome lined, start with a short chamber and ream to spec.

It is a job best done by a qualified M14 armorer.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:12 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
This is the only thing I do not feel comfortable doing myself when it comes to an M14/M1A. I would recomend that you have this done by a smith who knows how to do it, or you could send your bbl, and bolt to LRB Arms, and they will do it for you.
It will be worth it in the long run, and you will not have to worry about an unsafe rifle when you fire it.

What kind of build are you planning?
I'll be building my own SEI Crazy Horse, using SEI parts on an LRB double lugged M14 receiver.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 03-30-2009, 05:13 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Building from scratch, if you are using a chrome lined bbl, getting the headspace set may require swapping out several bolts to get it right.

If the bbl is not chrome lined, start with a short chamber and ream to spec.

It is a job best done by a qualified M14 armorer.
I'll be using an SEI 18" medium heavy, chrome-moly barrel. I don't care for chrome lined on anything but dedicated full auto guns. Being that I'm a California resident, I needn't worry about that.

Roger Waters

Old 03-31-2009, 02:28 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I'll be using an SEI 18" medium heavy, chrome-moly barrel. I don't care for chrome lined on anything but dedicated full auto guns. Being that I'm a California resident, I needn't worry about that.
You will be fine, then. Can you get it short chambered, have it reamed and then send it back for M80HT? Have the whole thing done. M80HT is awesome.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:00 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
You will be fine, then. Can you get it short chambered, have it reamed and then send it back for M80HT? Have the whole thing done. M80HT is awesome.
They have them chambered for M188LR. I think I'm just going to order the bolt group and barrel at the same time and have them put it together.

I was talking to a buddy at work the today. He said he built an M14 and the only thing he didn't feel comfortable doing was setting the head space.

Roger Waters