Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   setting head space on M14 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/setting-head-space-m14-12303/)

matt g 03-28-2009 04:29 AM

setting head space on M14

How difficult is it to set the head space on an M14 for a mechanically inclined novice? Does timing need to be set on a semi-auto M14?

I'm beginning to consider an LRB double lugged receiver, rather than a full SEI built rifle. I need something to tinker with when I'm not at work.

fragout 03-28-2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 88146)
How difficult is it to set the head space on an M14 for a mechanically inclined novice? Does timing need to be set on a semi-auto M14?

I'm beginning to consider an LRB double lugged receiver, rather than a full SEI built rifle. I need something to tinker with when I'm not at work.

This is the only thing I do not feel comfortable doing myself when it comes to an M14/M1A. I would recomend that you have this done by a smith who knows how to do it, or you could send your bbl, and bolt to LRB Arms, and they will do it for you.
It will be worth it in the long run, and you will not have to worry about an unsafe rifle when you fire it.

What kind of build are you planning?

M14sRock 03-28-2009 09:48 PM

Building from scratch, if you are using a chrome lined bbl, getting the headspace set may require swapping out several bolts to get it right.

If the bbl is not chrome lined, start with a short chamber and ream to spec.

It is a job best done by a qualified M14 armorer.

matt g 03-30-2009 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fragout (Post 88341)
This is the only thing I do not feel comfortable doing myself when it comes to an M14/M1A. I would recomend that you have this done by a smith who knows how to do it, or you could send your bbl, and bolt to LRB Arms, and they will do it for you.
It will be worth it in the long run, and you will not have to worry about an unsafe rifle when you fire it.

What kind of build are you planning?

I'll be building my own SEI Crazy Horse, using SEI parts on an LRB double lugged M14 receiver.

matt g 03-30-2009 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 88349)
Building from scratch, if you are using a chrome lined bbl, getting the headspace set may require swapping out several bolts to get it right.

If the bbl is not chrome lined, start with a short chamber and ream to spec.

It is a job best done by a qualified M14 armorer.

I'll be using an SEI 18" medium heavy, chrome-moly barrel. I don't care for chrome lined on anything but dedicated full auto guns. Being that I'm a California resident, I needn't worry about that.

M14sRock 03-31-2009 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 88955)
I'll be using an SEI 18" medium heavy, chrome-moly barrel. I don't care for chrome lined on anything but dedicated full auto guns. Being that I'm a California resident, I needn't worry about that.

You will be fine, then. Can you get it short chambered, have it reamed and then send it back for M80HT? Have the whole thing done. M80HT is awesome.

matt g 03-31-2009 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 89358)
You will be fine, then. Can you get it short chambered, have it reamed and then send it back for M80HT? Have the whole thing done. M80HT is awesome.

They have them chambered for M188LR. I think I'm just going to order the bolt group and barrel at the same time and have them put it together.

I was talking to a buddy at work the today. He said he built an M14 and the only thing he didn't feel comfortable doing was setting the head space.